Fitting - is it worth it?

D

Deleted member 1147

All I would recommend is that during your fitting go back to your own driver a few random times as a control. It is all too easy to hit 10 or 15 shots with your current driver as a warmup then compare everything with the best of these. After hitting 30 or 40 shots with other clubs and shafts it’s surprising how much better you can hit your own than those warm up hits.
...and warm up properly beforehand

Ian_Bristol

Head Pro
Visit site
Fitting is only as good as the person doing the fitting, I had a set of irons fitted for me and couldn't get on with them on the course so saw the pro who told me everything bar the length of shaft was incorrect I can't remember what we did to improve them ,but to be honest though at my best I have only ever been as low as 18 so I feel that my inconsistency is not my clubs but me

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
What are you talking about? Did you win the club? Or just the fitting? Why didn't you know it was crap from the fitting? None of what you are saying makes sense
I won the fitting and the club. The fitting was ok, but that's going of numbers, on the course was different.

evemccc

Visit site
Say your handicap has sort of plateaued and you aren’t expecting any major drops I.e. you’re not ‘new’ to golf, and you have a fitting that you think is good, for a set of new irons, how long would you expect to keep them?

If your swing speed was likely to remain similar for a number of years and you’re not doing massive swing changes, surely iron tech doesn’t change as much as Driver tech does / is purported to do by the OEMs?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
8-10 years I'd say
After that there would sufficient change in tech and your body to warrant doing it again.
Doesn't mean you can't do it sooner

Big85

Visit site
Fitting was definitely worth it for me. I felt I had my swing pretty much dialled in at the time. Mid handicapper I believe I was around 15/16 handicap. Being 6’7 I def seen an improvement after the fit. I was fitted for titleist t200. My handicap came down over 12 months to 9.4 after gradually settling at 12 which my goal is to get down to 10 this year and stay there. I do believe this is down to having better fitted clubs. Obviously your technique and skill level play a massive factor aswell

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’d guess off the shelf is more than good enough for most people

You gotta imagine the manufactures aren’t daft and will make the off the shelf clubs to be more than playable by the broadest range of players as possible (not just suited to the average/standard person)

They’d be daft to assume or rely on high sales derived from players getting fitting sessions

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's not really fair to dis the fitting of a driver when the club fitter had only one driver to fit you in to.

Surely?
I would see that as a mark in favour of the fitter. An honest fitter will concede all drivers are the same. So choose according to the colour you like, or what your favourite pro plays. But if truly just interested in how it plays, then there is nothing to choose there. Shaft length maybe, loft a little, is really all the fitter had to play with for 99% of golfers. The guy plugging - the Taylormade suits you better than the Ping, or the Callaway doesnt seem to be working for you - is the charlatan.

Last edited:

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I will go for a fitting when I have a swing that is vaguely repeatable. 15 years and counting …

you'll be amazed at how consistent your swing actually is.....I very much doubt the speed and tempo is going to change dramatically from shot to shot, and I would fully believe that you deliver the club in a very similar way from shot to shot.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
I would see that as a mark in favour of the fitter. An honest fitter will concede all drivers are the same. So choose according to the colour you like, or what your favourite pro plays. But if truly just interested in how it plays, then there is nothing to choose there. Shaft length maybe, loft a little, is really all the fitter had to play with for 99% of golfers. The guy plugging - the Taylormade suits you better than the Ping, or the Callaway doesnt seem to be working for you - is the charlatan.

All driver heads are the same?

I don't think so.

This article seems to suggest not either.

https://hititlonger.com/not-driver-heads-created-equal/