Fitting A Putter Grip

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm going to have a go a regripping all my clubs.

I'm fine with the round ones because I'm not really bothered if they're exactly centred or not, but I've bought an OE Ping putter grip and the front is flat.

Are there any tips for getting the flat part exactly at right angles to the putter face, or is it normally done by eye?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Just do it by eye and feel.
When you fit the grip, you have ages before it sets dry so there's no panic.
Good luck with the grips.
When fitting new grips, check 2 things
1. The grip has been pushed fully onto the shaft. Turn it upside down and tap firmly on the ground to make sure there's no gap between the end of the grip and the end of the shaft.
2. Sometimes the grips can stretch when you fit them.
Check each grip with the first one to make sure it's the same length.

I bought this set off ebay.

P220510_080201.jpg

They now look like this

P220510_0802.jpg

Have fun and take your time :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Now, you could be right.
I did 2 sets at the same time.
Just looked again.
The old ones are the ones off ebay and the blue grips are my old pings with new grips.

Happy? ;)

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
I always put a little bit of masking tape about 1cm beneath the grip and with a ruler, place a line where the current mark is.
Once I've put the grip on , i'll line it up against the mark.
then place the club on the floor, and check it again. looking up and down between the club face and the mark.
Oh and finally check the top and bottom marks are straight as well making sure the grips hasn't got twisted when you shoved it on.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just do it by eye and feel.
When you fit the grip, you have ages before it sets dry so there's no panic.
Good luck with the grips.
When fitting new grips, check 2 things
1. The grip has been pushed fully onto the shaft. Turn it upside down and tap firmly on the ground to make sure there's no gap between the end of the grip and the end of the shaft.
2. Sometimes the grips can stretch when you fit them.
Check each grip with the first one to make sure it's the same length.

Done mine last year and a few putters/drivers for mates as well.

Point 1 very important , started with my driver and was very happy with how straight the grip was after it had dried, but it didn't feel right with a couple of swings. Then realised I had added an extra 3/4 inch to the shaft length :eek:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
ive been toying around with the idea of re-gripping clubs myself but havent a clue how to do it. what equipment is needed and where would you get it?

You need grips (obviously), double-sided tape, and solvent. I think white spirit would do instead of the proper solvent but I could be wrong. All I used to get the old ones off was a Stanley knife, but you can also buy a tool (like a curved scraper) to help getting the old tape off.
A vice is helpful but not imperative. I have a vice so I bought a rubber grip that fits over the shaft then you clamp that in the vice.

I bought 11 grips, tape, solvent, and the rubber clamp thing for just over £40 from Gamola Golf. You can also get it all off ebay.

There's plenty of videos on Youtube showing how to do it.