First tee matchplay saying - Wont be giving gimmees

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
If my opponent announced that on the first tee my thoughts would be "I'm not going to miss from inside the leather so if that's the game we're playing you're only adding to your own chances of losing holes"

If it's really a gimmie you won't mind putting it so what's the worry?

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our team matches are all strokeplay......so no opportunity to practise matchplay tactics........however I do plays couple of rounds with mates in a Ryder Cup style format and we ALWAYS have problems with matchplay and gimmies. Both scenarios are when the oppo leave it short by 3 inches...assume given.....and try and putt clunky style, back handed or other, and they miss.......all happens v quickly, so no recourse.

Thinking about it more....with the new rules can you not just pick it up rather than try a fancy circus putt....if they say "hey I didn't give that" you can put it back without penalty....am I right?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Another thing I can work out is why can a putt bit be conceded retrospectively?

Surely that should be up to one person and one person only.

dronfield

Visit site
Kuchar in his post round interview stated HE went to the rules official after speaking to Garcia as they walked to the next tee, Kuchar could of simply said nothing and accepted it was a gimmee.
The official is faultless in this.

In the Sky coverage on Sunday, Paul McGinley explained that the situation could have been avoided if Kuchar had not chosen to involve the rules official, ie, he could have had a quiet word with Sergio re waiting for a concession in future before picking up his ball (in this case he tried to knock the ball in with the back of his putter and missed).
Once the rules official was brought in, he had no option than to make Sergio's last stroke count - McGinley stated that Kuchar will have been fully aware that this would be the outcome.
Whilst Sergio was being petulant, Kuchar yet again showed no class - can't believe many other tour pros would have taken same course of action.

Rich

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Give 'em nowt. I miss putts from very close in if playing me i wouldn't give me anything. I apply the same to my opponents. I've never got past the first round of my match play attempts. I'm useless at match play.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Give 'em nowt. I miss putts from very close in if playing me i wouldn't give me anything. I apply the same to my opponents. I've never got past the first round of my match play attempts. I'm useless at match play.

It’s almost as if there’s a lesson in there somewhere 🤔

D

Deleted Member 1156

Not giving gimmes can sometimes come back to bite you. I played a scratch team match a couple of years ago, I was 2 down through 13 and had a putt of about 18 inches for a half to remain 2 down on the 14th green, the guy made me putt it. No problem, straight into the middle of the cup. We got to the 17th and I was still 2 down with 2 play when my oppo had a similar length putt for the match. As he hadn't given me mine I made him putt it and he missed so I was now 1 down with 1 play. He messed up the 18th and lost that too so I ended up with a half for the match.

Moral of the story, if he had given mine I wouldn't have made him putt on the 17th.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
Best approach I have found is to expect to be given nothing and always mentally be ready to putt out. To me, the mere mention of gimmies is an indication of some kind of hangup with them. I will happily putt out from 2", it just doesn't bother me.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just to throw something else in the mix, I've also wondered if it is more courteous to give larger gimmies based on ability. So do lower handicappers who are often stronger on those putts find it rude if they're kept to the same standard as others i.e. I basically know they'll hole the 2 footer, but I and others may not so it is a standard gimmie.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Just to throw something else in the mix, I've also wondered if it is more courteous to give larger gimmies based on ability. So do lower handicappers who are often stronger on those putts find it rude if they're kept to the same standard as others i.e. I basically know they'll hole the 2 footer, but I and others may not so it is a standard gimmie.

I'm all for giving putts but i'd say its more down to pressure than skill level. Even Tour Pro's have missed tap ins under high pressure situations.

Talking from experience in scratch matches

If i'm one up and my opponent is putting for the half from 2 foot i'll give it (usually)
If i'm one up on the 18th and opponent has a 2 foot putt to win the hole and square the match he can putt it.

Even playing against plus handicappers they've missed such putts on the closing holes but very rarely earlier in the match when there isn't a crowd praying for you to hole it as the team desperately needs the point.

Always find high pressure odd myself.

In the same match I had 2 chip ins on the back 9 and holed out large break putts over 15 foot over two tiers and then missed a pesky 3 foote when it mattered. The YIPS can affect anybody at any skill level in such scenarios. It's the only part of my game that is negatively affected by pressure, i thrive on it for all other areas.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Moral of the story, if he had given mine I wouldn't have made him putt on the 17th.

Therin lies the endless beauty of matchplay....

On the subject of what people say on the 1st tee... there is a story about Jack Nicklaus the first time he played with Lee Trevino.

Jack approached Trevino to make sure Lee knew that Jack preferred not to talk much while playing. "That's OK," Trevino told him, "you don't have to talk, you just have to listen!"

(and apoligies to my long suffering playing partners!)

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Therin lies the endless beauty of matchplay....

On the subject of what people say on the 1st tee... there is a story about Jack Nicklaus the first time he played with Lee Trevino.

Jack approached Trevino to make sure Lee knew that Jack preferred not to talk much while playing. "That's OK," Trevino told him, "you don't have to talk, you just have to listen!"

(and apoligies to my long suffering playing partners!)
Think that was Trevino to Tony Jacklin after Trevino won the Open in 1971 chipping in a couple of times. They met in World Matchplay following year and Jacklin told Trevino he didn’t want to talk just concentrate on his game. Trevino said that was fine, he didn’t want Jacklin to talk either, just listen.

Trevino may of course had same conversation with other golfers over the years !

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thinking about it more....with the new rules can you not just pick it up rather than try a fancy circus putt....if they say "hey I didn't give that" you can put it back without penalty....am I right?

I think you are over thinking it.

You haven't accidentally caused your ball to move on the putting green, so you would have a 1shot penalty under 9.4 b, and be required to replace it.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Think that was Trevino to Tony Jacklin after Trevino won the Open in 1971 chipping in a couple of times. They met in World Matchplay following year and Jacklin told Trevino he didn’t want to talk just concentrate on his game. Trevino said that was fine, he didn’t want Jacklin to talk either, just listen.

Trevino may of course had same conversation with other golfers over the years !

Ho ho...that's what I thought, I Googled it and it said it was Jack!!

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

For me it’s about the opponent’s ability; if I believe they will make the putt I’ll give unless, as others have said, it’s for the win in the match. The handicap isn’t relevant; I’ve played low handicappers who putt badly and higher handicappers who putt well. The concession will be based on my belief of whether they will hole it or not, based on the length, break and what I’ve seen of my opponent’s putting.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve played low handicappers who putt badly and higher handicappers who putt well. The concession will be based on my belief of whether they will hole it or not, based on the length, break and what I’ve seen of my opponent’s putting.

Is that why you never gimme anything?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Not giving gimmes can sometimes come back to bite you. I played a scratch team match a couple of years ago, I was 2 down through 13 and had a putt of about 18 inches for a half to remain 2 down on the 14th green, the guy made me putt it. No problem, straight into the middle of the cup. We got to the 17th and I was still 2 down with 2 play when my oppo had a similar length putt for the match. As he hadn't given me mine I made him putt it and he missed so I was now 1 down with 1 play. He messed up the 18th and lost that too so I ended up with a half for the match.

No moral in that at all. Unless they were 6" or under the opponent is having to hole out for the match.

I certainly won't be conceding 18" putts for the game. And to be honest I would rather hole it from 18" than have it given to me if I'm your opponent.

D

Deleted Member 1156

No moral in that at all. Unless they were 6" or under the opponent is having to hole out for the match.

I certainly won't be conceding 18" putts for the game. And to be honest I would rather hole it from 18" than have it given to me if I'm your opponent.
The guy had putted solidly all day, I didn't think for 1 second he would miss it. I think that not giving the putt wound him up maybe causing him to miss but my view is that he set the tone a few holes earlier.