First tee matchplay saying - Wont be giving gimmees

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I'm giving you 10 shots, you're holing out everything unless it's literally inches.

If you leave it short to 2 foot, you're seeing it in. Put it 2 foot past and you can have it.
Not questioning your approach but what’s your logic behind that.
You see the line if it goes past but if you leave it short it means you are tentative.
I am interested.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, why would you not though? You might as well write it on there just as a failsafe and a record.
One less thing to do, one less distraction.

You should simply do what's most comfortable for you. Personally I rarely even carry a card (never at home, know the SIs of most of the holes on the courses we play against as well) let alone mark anything on it score wise.

The most useful thing to put on a card is the names and a link (beard/ black trousers) to opponents - nothing worse than forgetting who is whom (and thinking about it)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One less thing to do, one less distraction.

You should simply do what's most comfortable for you. Personally I rarely even carry a card (never at home, know the SIs of most of the holes on the courses we play against as well) let alone mark anything on it score wise.

The most useful thing to put on a card is the names and a link (beard/ black trousers) to opponents - nothing worse than forgetting who is whom (and thinking about it)
Just an aside do your ops have to claim their shots on the tee.
Saying “stroke 4 I have a shot here” or is it just mutually agreed you both know.
I played a lot in the scratch team and match play comps , but have never heard anyone do this until recently.
He said someone told him he must do this.
It’s normally agreed on the first tee as far as I am aware.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Saying “stroke 4 I have a shot here” or is it just mutually agreed you both know.
I played a lot in the scratch team and match play comps , but have never heard anyone do this until recently.
I'd have thought you just state at the beginning how many shots they'll get over the round so everyone was aware. To me, someone reminding you "I get a shot here" every time he gets a shot sounds like rubbing your nose in it!

D

Deleted member 1147

Saying “stroke 4 I have a shot here”
or is it just mutually agreed you both know.
I've never heard of that before

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
When i played a better ball match the lowest handicapper mentioned on every tee that there was shots and who got them. The only person i have ever met who done this.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'd normally agree the number of shots given or received, and might mention on the tee a hole where I get/give a shot and/or the stroke index to my opponent at my home course but I never do a card

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think it's better kept to yourself, I've often seen someone pick up when they had a putt for a half cos they didn't realise they had a shot.

Yes. Yes I've done it. You learn the hard way!

Birdie2

Club Champion
Visit site
Not questioning your approach but what’s your logic behind that.
You see the line if it goes past but if you leave it short it means you are tentative.
I am interested.

Good question. It's a personal thing really. I like to see the putt attempted to be holed. I've no time for people tickling it up to the hole and hoping for a gimme.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I would usually agree before we tee's off the 1st who was getting shots, how many and on what holes.

its usually pretty simple to remember, unless its more that half a doze, if you are getting the shots i would say its your responsibility to identify which holes before you play them.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Players should establish handicaps and strokes with their opponent(s) before starting
After that it's the responsibility of every player to know who is giving/receiving on each hole; 3.2 c (2) references.
No requirement to communicate - people establish their own preferences and, as you experienced, have been know to present some as 'rules' 🤔
Personally the more experienced the players the less I will say; with people playing their first match I would say something on every tee that a stroke is involved!

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Confirm before kick off with the everyone the total shots but I'd only say to a teammate when there are shots on a hole in the hope that he/she doesn't make a tactical error.

Springveldt

Visit site
I'm playing in the handicap match play at my place for the first time this year and I was wondering do you help the opponent try to find their ball if they smack it into the trees or long stuff? Or do you just wait 3 minutes and tell them they have to play their provisional?

I'm worried I'm going to get DQ'ed before the end of the round due to my poor golf etiquette. My playing partners on a Saturday morning keep me right. :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm playing in the handicap match play at my place for the first time this year and I was wondering do you help the opponent try to find their ball if they smack it into the trees or long stuff? Or do you just wait 3 minutes and tell them they have to play their provisional?

I'm worried I'm going to get DQ'ed before the end of the round due to my poor golf etiquette. My playing partners on a Saturday morning keep me right. :D
Firstly, it's probably nice to help them look unless you're happy for them to think you're a bit of a tosser. It's a gentleman's game after all, so I would help them look if convenient - whenever you normally would in regular stroke play.

Secondly, I don't think you can actually be disqualified for poor etiquette. You get disqualified for breaking rules.

Springveldt

Visit site
Firstly, it's probably nice to help them look unless you're happy for them to think you're a bit of a tosser. It's a gentleman's game after all, so I would help them look if convenient - whenever you normally would in regular stroke play.

Secondly, I don't think you can actually be disqualified for poor etiquette. You get disqualified for breaking rules.
I was planning on helping them if required, just wasn't sure if it was the done thing or not.

Cheers.

D

Deleted member 18121

To the OP - if you're planning on playing some matchplay then why not try your first game giving the gimmies, but maybe next time round try your idea of saying it on the 1st tee...... if so much of matchplay is "psychology" then this could be a good ploy, it might wind them up and put them off their game or it might not.....give it a go (y)

D

Deleted member 1147

Yes, of course you help them look for their ball, it’s only good manners.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Players should establish handicaps and strokes with their opponent(s) before starting
After that it's the responsibility of every player to know who is giving/receiving on each hole; 3.2 c (2) references.
No requirement to communicate - people establish their own preferences and, as you experienced, have been know to present some as 'rules' 🤔
Personally the more experienced the players the less I will say; with people playing their first match I would say something on every tee that a stroke is involved!

This. No way I could play a match without keeping score on a card though.