First tee matchplay saying - Wont be giving gimmees

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My first 1 on 1 knockout matchplay of the season is Saturday

I am thinking I am going to say on the first tee, making it clear, I wont be giving gimmees and expect it all to be holed out.

I dont want to get into the whole psychology of when to give putts and when not to. I feel it favours experienced golfers over newer golfers.

I also dont want to come across like a door handle on the first short putt, so saying it on the first tee to be clear.

Any thoughts or experiences?

DCB

Visit site
It's matchplay, it's part of the game. You don't have to give putts, but, you'll soon see that it is an integral part of the matchplay game. I certainly wouldn't make that statement on the tee .... ;)

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah I wouldn't make that statement either and think it would start the round off with a bad tone to it.

Obviously it is completely your choice to give gimmes or not but it is part of match play and at the end of the day, it is just a game of golf. Why make yourself look like a door handle at all.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Don't say it up front, just don't give any putts. I've played agasint people who don't give putts. It seems little silly but it's your choice. It's part of the overall matchplay thing really, knowing when to suddenly make them putt that 1 footer ..

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
As others have said, you achieve nothing positive from such a statement; and potentially a range of negatives.

Most experienced match players have learnt that the less said the better; absolutely every comment made regarding golf can be construed in many ways and, if you have the experience, you can even construe them positively regardless of what is said!

Simple example in this context - if you make me put an obvious gimme I will immediately note that you don't feel confident in beating me without me missing such putts. Huge positive to me.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Make that statement and you instantly get your oppo s back up, giving short putts speeds up the game and shows sportsmanship and is all part of match play.

unless you are goods gift to putting could also make you look foolish and what if you are playing someone who is giving you a load of shots and you are making him put from 6 inches.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My first 1 on 1 knockout matchplay of the season is Saturday

I am thinking I am going to say on the first tee, making it clear, I wont be giving gimmees and expect it all to be holed out.

I dont want to get into the whole psychology of when to give putts and when not to. I feel it favours experienced golfers over newer golfers.

I also dont want to come across like a door handle on the first short putt, so saying it on the first tee to be clear.

Any thoughts or experiences?
I haven't played any match play yet, but the majority of people usually say that this 'psychology' as you put it is a huge part of the game. Giving putts early on but making them hole out pressure ones and so on.

I'm entering a pairs match play this season for the first time, so discussing when we'll give putts with my partner will be an interesting learning curve I think.

D

Deleted member 15344

Why would you not want to play gimmies

It’s part of Matchplay for a start , it helps with the pace of the game as well as sportsmanship

Your opponent will have a great idea about you if you declare no gimmies - prob think you are a bit of a doorknob

It’s either a day late for April Fool or you’re on a wind up

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
I haven't played any match play yet, but the majority of people usually say that this 'psychology' as you put it is a huge part of the game. Giving putts early on but making them hole out pressure ones and so on.

I'm entering a pairs match play this season for the first time, so discussing when we'll give putts with my partner will be an interesting learning curve I think.
The whole psychology thing is probably overstated, but yes chucking in the odd short one to keep them on their toes is always a good idea. Don't over think it id say.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played recently against two old boys who didn't give anything outside a foot. Thought they were being a bit mean tbf. So we hammered them.

Don't give your opposition any more reason to want to beat you than being there

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could also add that you are not going to talk to him either,just to take all the fun out of match play :)

I played a complete tool in an internet match a year or two ago, it was my home draw and our first is quite a tough hole, so I shook my opponents hand, wished him luck and said if you want any general course advice please just ask. The reply I got was 'I don't need any help from you' in a tone which made that the last words we spoke during the match, I beat him on the 12th hole, shook hands and left him where he stood. We play this game for fun, that was no fun.

So in response to the OP's statement no I would not say that, wish your opponent luck and remember a few given putts early on can make a tight putt soooooo much more difficult later in the match.

Just enjoy the game :)

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site

Most people simply create their own problems with any consideration for psychology. Just play the game to the best of your ability, be considerate to opponents and enjoy it.

Another example may help - 6 down after 8 against a 28 handicapper playing out of their socks I observed as we walked off the 8th the he was playing well that day; exactly what I would have said on any other occassion.
In the bar afterwards he commented that he had felt the pressure build and build as he won holes and kept waiting for me to comment on his handicap etc - as I didn't comment the pressure just kept building!
He created the pressure on himself, not me.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You could also add that you are not going to talk to him either,just to take all the fun out of match play :)

A few other things that could be tried out on the 1st tee ahead of a match;

I won’t be having a drink with you after the game
Don’t stand there please (wherever they stand)
Don’t keep your cap on when we shake hands at the end
Have you cleaned those shoes?
Yes your wife’s bum does look big in that

D

Deleted member 1418

I can see your point Dasit, but what will you do if your opponent has 2 putts - or more - to win the hole from around a putter length or less? Are you really going to make them putt out? Just concede and move on to the next tee. Likewise if you cannot win or halve the hole before they've even putted.

I agree with DCB - conceding/not conceding putts is part of the strategy of matchplay. If an opponent asks me very early in the game whether their 3 or 4 footer "is good", part of me will think that they're not too good on those! I will then put that into my strategy for the rest of the game - might concede one or 2 but then not concede a few to see how they handle the pressure.

At the end of the day - whilst it is still a competitive match and you both want to win - the game should still be played in the correct manner, and be enjoyable for both of you, win or lose.

Don't worry or fret over the game. It will become very evident early in the game when you can concede a putt and when you shouldn't.

Good luck.

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
Looks like I'm in the minority here but it wouldn't bother me in the slightest if you said this on the 1st tee. I remember getting a little aggravated once when someone made me hole out everything, at least if you announced this on the 1st tee I would know where I stood.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The whole psychology thing is probably overstated, but yes chucking in the odd short one to keep them on their toes is always a good idea. Don't over think it id say.
That's fair enough. I think even when I play with my mates we're not overly generous, tend to only give gimmes within about 2 feet, but then that's because we've all seen each other miss from 3! Yeah I imagine for our first match play game we won't exactly be masters of psychology, we'll just give the obvious ones to speed things along, maybe if it's getting close late on you make them putt out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's an integral part of the game and you are setting yourself up for a fall and may well get a reputation that won't be overly polite. Turn up, play and go with the flow. There is nothing wrong in conceding but I never expect to be given a putt. Coming out with a statement like that on the first is just going to lead to a poor atmosphere and the opponent trying their best to beat you as a result