First tee matchplay saying - Wont be giving gimmees

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Someone saying that on the first tee would make me think they are a door handle.

I wouldn't let it phase me though as if it is a gimme, I should really hole it anyway and if I miss it, its my fault.

I once played a guy and I was 1 up playing the last. He was in for a 5 and I had a putt for a 4. Missed it and it was about 1 inch away from the cup. He made me putt it out just in case I missed it. Obviously I holed it and all I was thinking is what a door handle and just seemed a bit silly way to end a friendly game.
On the last hole though when he's about to lose?? That's just a last throw of the dice, I don't see a problem with that. I'd have probably done the same but then made a joke of it afterwards. Although admittedly, I might feel awkward if you did then miss. I guess it comes under "not wanting to win/lose that way".

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
On the last hole though when he's about to lose?? That's just a last throw of the dice, I don't see a problem with that. I'd have probably done the same but then made a joke of it afterwards. Although admittedly, I might feel awkward if you did then miss. I guess it comes under "not wanting to win/lose that way".

I guess it was the way he said it.

Like he was being fully serious about seeing it in. I could have blown it in from how far away it was from the cup. A simple handshake and congrats would have been the way I ended the game but each to their own

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I guess it was the way he said it.

Like he was being fully serious about seeing it in. I could have blown it in from how far away it was from the cup. A simple handshake and congrats would have been the way I ended the game but each to their own

No Coffey you're right, in that circumstance he was being classless imo. He was beaten he should have taken it like a (sports)man.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just being pedantic here but by " ... making it clear, I wont be giving gimmees and expect it all to be holed out ..." do you mean not giving anything ? Even if he's on the green in two, and you've just put your fourth over the course boundary?

More conventionally, adamantly not conceding any "next strokes" for balls on the putting green is just silly. Forget psychology - it will be pretty obvious in your own head when it's right to concede and when it's right not to. And no-one has the right to expect a putt to be conceded, so no-one should be annoyed/bothered/flustered/whatever by being asked to putt what they might think is a short one. If they do, that's their problem not yours.

But having said that, if you don't want to concede anything, then don't. Just don't say so on the first tee - otherwise plank-ishness awaits.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I don't agree with the "give him a couple early on" school of thought at all. If it's a putt he could conceivably miss, make him putt it. The length is less important than how much borrow there is. I been made to putt, & missed, a 1½ footer before in a match. Ir was a really curly one &, had it been straight, I would have been given it. I've never be offended by being asked to hole any putt but I wouldn't be too happy with anyone who came out with what the OP proposes to say on the first tee.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I did once make a guy hole a two inch putt on the 18th in a Surrey Scratch match but he'd twice fluked the hole by going out of bounds and rebounding back into play. He then hit his third shot stiff from about 100 yards to take the match 1 up. So I told him "you can bleeping hole that now" to much laughter between the two of us. We still laugh about it a few years on when we catch up at county events.

But that was part of the game situation. I'd never make someone hole a putt like that ever. Unless like the OP you were going out of your way to be a nob from the start.

D

Deleted member 15344

For me I’ll give someone a putt I think they will make - it’s not at any specific distance and I’ll judge each putt on its own merit. Don’t use them as some sort of tactic and the same putt is judged on the first and 18th green. It’s just a game of golf at the end of the day and winning is never that important

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Unless like the OP you were going out of your way to be a nob from the start.

Maybe the OP was thinking about removing a thought process from his own mind, rather than how it might sound to his opponent!

I hope the responses give a reasonable sample about how "other golfers" might feel if someone said it to them on the 1st Tee :)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Wouldn't bother me in the slightest if someone announced on the first tee that they weren't going to give any gimmes, and I wouldn't make a judgement about them either.

I might, however, take an inordinate amount of time in lining up and holing out a 3 inch putt just to make a point and to see if they'd break their rule.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
A few other things that could be tried out on the 1st tee ahead of a match;

I won’t be having a drink with you after the game
Don’t stand there please (wherever they stand)
Don’t keep your cap on when we shake hands at the end
Have you cleaned those shoes?
Yes your wife’s bum does look big in that
Add
Resistance is futile, I've won this the last 4 years.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was always told that the less thought and said about the golf in matchplay the better.

Fine to talk about none Golf things but keep the talk to appropriate times etc.

Give putts when it looks right to, dont overthink anything and just play.

Love the story about not commenting on someone playing well, making them put any pressure on themselves.

In other words... Keep it simple!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
So just say you're playing against a 2 handicapper and his approach putt to win the hole roles 3 inches past, you wouldn't give him the putt for a half and move on?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
That is definitely what has brought up this situation in my head. Kuchar did nothing wrong imo

Kuchar wasn't the cause of the issue as Sergio readily agreed, but let's be honest Kuchar didn't come out of it well either

I'd advise, just play a match and dont pre plan anything as anything you say is likely to slap you in the face later

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I would never say that on the first tee it would start the day on the wrong footing for me.

Matchplay is a different mindset what if your playing someone who is a better putter than you, give him a few generous gimmes early on and he might feel obliged to reciprocate 👍

User20204

Visit site
I think you're making a rod for your own back, if you don't wish to concede putts, just say nothing and the other will soon know where he stands. Frankly though, if this is an interclub matchplay comp, it's not the Ryder cup nor the final of your club championship, don't be thinking it's a major and everyone cares, they don't.

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yeah I'm another for maybe not saying that as your opener,it's supposed to be fun for us amateurs and your bound to cause a few raised eyebrows around the club with that pick up line... I play alot of m'play and if your intent is to see them in as a general rule I'd make them hole the first 2 or 3 and if you see them not looking confident or maybe missing a v easy putt then by all means make them hole out as you've got pressure building already and they'll know it!.
You could find yourself 2up after 4 holes and he's wondering about his putting without you saying a word.You could of course miss a few yourself early doors and invite upon yourself a v uncomfortable afternoon and a drubbing by a fired up opponent only to happy to make you putt to keep the match alive on the 14th..... I give plenty and see plenty in depending on the situ but it's your right and yours alone to see them in imo start with a smile and a handshake 😁

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
That is definitely what has brought up this situation in my head. Kuchar did nothing wrong imo

Neither player did anything wrong.
Just the rules official, sticking his nose in where it wasn't wanted or needed so he could feel important.
Pillock :mad: