First tee matchplay saying - Wont be giving gimmees

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re the OP's question.

As others have said. If you don't want to give putts then that's entirely your prerogative really. But I certainly would never make the statement you indicated on the first tee.

If, as the match processes and succession of short or 'easy' putts crops up for your opponent and you keep schtum - then he / she will get the message fairly quickly.

That way you've played in the spirit of the game and not created any potentially awkward atmosphere at the start.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I've only caught bits of this. I thought I read that Kuchar called the referee in. Is that not correct?

You could be right but I read......
''According to the PGA Tour, a rules official intervened to say that, because Kuchar did not have the chance to concede the putt before Sergio went to tap in, the stroke stood and, consequently, Garcia lost the hole.''

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You could be right but I read......
''According to the PGA Tour, a rules official intervened to say that, because Kuchar did not have the chance to concede the putt before Sergio went to tap in, the stroke stood and, consequently, Garcia lost the hole.''
And had he kept his nose out Kuchar would not be involved in another unsavoury incident. Granted the caddy payment affair was handled poorly by everyone concerned but he didn't come out of it well and then this.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
And had he kept his nose out Kuchar would not be involved in another unsavoury incident. Granted the caddy payment affair was handled poorly by everyone concerned but he didn't come out of it well and then this.

A bit later coverage showed Sergio saying to Kuchar that if he didn't want to win a hole like that all he had to do was concede the next one and said that is what he would have done - Kuchar just ignored him

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A bit later coverage showed Sergio saying to Kuchar that if he didn't want to win a hole like that all he had to do was concede the next one and said that is what he would have done - Kuchar just ignored him

And again Garcia came across as a bit petulant as he had lost the first one. Clearly he had the hump as his wild swing at a ball when he missed another putt showed but Kuchar didn't have to concede a putt especially one that looked as though it could be missed. As I said it was caused by the official and not Kuchar who couldn't do anything about it. Garcia then didn't play well and let the incident get to him

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
In Match play anything I think I could miss myself or looks like a bit of a dodge putt I’ll make them putt it ,but general if it’s a tap in or under a foot and flat I’ll give it every time it swings both ways at the end of the day .

D

Deleted member 16999

And again Garcia came across as a bit petulant as he had lost the first one. Clearly he had the hump as his wild swing at a ball when he missed another putt showed but Kuchar didn't have to concede a putt especially one that looked as though it could be missed. As I said it was caused by the official and not Kuchar who couldn't do anything about it. Garcia then didn't play well and let the incident get to him
Kuchar in his post round interview stated HE went to the rules official after speaking to Garcia as they walked to the next tee, Kuchar could of simply said nothing and accepted it was a gimmee.
The official is faultless in this.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I go into a matchplay game never assuming I'll be given a gimme. That way I don't get annoyed if they're not as it's all part of the game.
It's not something I'd even discuss on the first hole. Just shake hands, wish them a good game and try to play it in the right spirit.

mikseymono

Assistant Pro
Visit site
it brings out the inner Devil...especially at squeaky bum time......it is probably the only rule where you can put pressure on your opponent and get inside their minds...as they have probably given you a couple of 3 footers during the match and now you are telling him to hole a 2 footer...I have SO been there..........not a fan of it...too confrontational.....we should all put it in the hole like we do in stroke play.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
No gimmies could lead to the situation where you leave a putt an inch short, and on your opponents line. You would have to mark it, and then move it to the side to get your marker out of opponents line. If you holed inch putt you would be playing out of turn.

It makes no sense not playing gimmies in match play.

D

Deleted member 3432

it brings out the inner Devil...especially at squeaky bum time......it is probably the only rule where you can put pressure on your opponent and get inside their minds...as they have probably given you a couple of 3 footers during the match and now you are telling him to hole a 2 footer...I have SO been there..........not a fan of it...too confrontational.....we should all put it in the hole like we do in stroke play.

Go out with the attitude of expecting to have to hole out everything (as we do in medal) and you have no problem. I would make my opponent hole anything I think he might miss and expect him to do the same to me. Its no big deal but I won't ask him to hole out from within 12'' although anything longer with break in it is missable.

I never look at an opponent when I lag up to 2'-3' I wait to hear a "thats good" and if I don't then I am in the holing out mindset. I enjoy it when opponent looks at you hoping for a concession, tells you they don't fancy it so you are going to see it in.

I don't see any problems having to hole out from any distance, its just a little dumb to be asked to tap in from inches after all you arn't going to miss.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
No gimmies could lead to the situation where you leave a putt an inch short, and on your opponents line. You would have to mark it, and then move it to the side to get your marker out of opponents line. If you holed inch putt you would be playing out of turn.

It makes no sense not playing gimmies in match play.

Played a team match last year and after I'd won the match my opponent let slip that they'd been told not to give gimmies. I was having to hole putts under an inch. Was a painful match.

D

Deleted member 16999

I didn't hear him say that?
Around 1 min 20 secs in, after speaking to Sergio as they discussed it he says “I asked Robbie Wear”
No mention after that saying the official approached them, the official simply gave the ruling to the question Kuchar asked.
If he had decided not to ask Wear then Wear wouldn’t of got involved.

sunshine

Visit site
My first 1 on 1 knockout matchplay of the season is Saturday

I am thinking I am going to say on the first tee, making it clear, I wont be giving gimmees and expect it all to be holed out.

I dont want to get into the whole psychology of when to give putts and when not to. I feel it favours experienced golfers over newer golfers.

I also dont want to come across like a door handle on the first short putt, so saying it on the first tee to be clear.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Posting this on here already makes you come across like a door handle, so I wouldn't worry about it on the course as well. You crack on (y)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
All this action does is heap pressure on every 2 and a 1/2 footer you get in the game.

Give the tap ins. say nothing for the ones you want to see him hole out.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played a team match last year and after I'd won the match my opponent let slip that they'd been told not to give gimmies. I was having to hole putts under an inch. Was a painful match.
I can imagine. That just seems petty and stupid. If I'd been on that team I'd have ignored team orders and where it's a clear gimmie, especially from a matter of inches I'd have said pick up. Lifes too short and it's not the Ryder/Solheim cup. I play a lot of our "friendly" matches (usually with a cup involved so some nice rivalries building up, but in a nice way) and we have never had issues of having to putt everything. In fact in one game they started giving putts of at least two feet and I was thinking wow, I wouldn't have fancied that and then my partner started wanting to reciprocate. I said I wanted to see at least one (they missed) but they kept on giving 1-2 footers. As it happened we won 6&5 so the gimmee scenario was largely null and void but it is amazing at times what some people consider gimmee range both good and bad