First tee matchplay saying - Wont be giving gimmees

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Amazing how much matchplay uncertainty exists from reading this thread

Most of us only get to play it a few times a year and it certainly feels like a totally different game.

My game is tomorrow and i shall be giving short gimmes. The person i am play is cat 1 while i am cat 2 so is a much better player.

I shall also help look for their ball but will keep a count on 3 minutes as think that is important.

Good luck all this weekend

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I always confirm strokes given/received on the tee of the hole (which is why I write them in the scorecard). I would never not let an opponent know if they were due to get one. That just seems unsporting to me

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My first 1 on 1 knockout matchplay of the season is Saturday

I am thinking I am going to say on the first tee, making it clear, I wont be giving gimmees and expect it all to be holed out.

I dont want to get into the whole psychology of when to give putts and when not to. I feel it favours experienced golfers over newer golfers.

I also dont want to come across like a door handle on the first short putt, so saying it on the first tee to be clear.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Be prepared to lose a couple of holes when your opponent holes a 12 footer and you miss what should have been a gimmie :ROFLMAO:

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Love matchplay, it's my favourite form of golf.

Just be yourself. But win.

If it's close, give it, if you're not sure, see a couple in and see how they do. If they confidently knock them in you'll know for future holes, if they wobble or miss, you'll also know what to do ;-)

I played a Surrey 5's match a couple of weeks back, I shanked 3 balls on the spin, on their 6th hole. With 8i, PW and 56 degree.... clearly I lost the hole, but thats the beauty of matchplay, I was terrible on the front 9, having to get up and down from a greenside bunker on the 9th to avoid going 3 down. I did, and won the match 2 & 1.

Never give up.

Oh, and win.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
First round of the summer knockout on Saturday. Playing past captain and a Newcastle fan. Should be a good game as he's off 11 compared to my 13. Don't think it'll be too influenced by matchplay tactics and I plan to play it and give putts when I think he'd make them and assume I'm putting until he say different. Hit it, find it and hit it and see who wins.