First single you bought.

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Oh yes Madandra, and hearing myself saying crap every time the bloke started speaking. Peter Kay does a great pi55 take of this.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
Ah, the top 40 on Radio 1, 5 till 7 on a Sunday night, small Panasonic mono radio cassette, fingers hovering over the play / record buttons, but generally used the pause button. Collecting music was so much cheaper then.

However, I have been revisting some of those earlier delights in 'digital' format and the production of some of the music from that era is just awesome. I just never realised it listening to it on medium wave.

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
First single i had bought for me - Gary Glitter's do ya wanna be in my gang ( Only because apparently i did some kind of Glitter impression at the age of 6 )

First single bought - The Police - Walking on the moon

First bought albums - ( i remember buying 2 together )

Paul Young - No Parlez
...and "Now that's what i call music 1" !!! and i think its still in my mum's loft

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ah, the top 40 on Radio 1, 5 till 7 on a Sunday night, small Panasonic mono radio cassette, fingers hovering over the play / record buttons, but generally used the pause button. Collecting music was so much cheaper then.

However, I have been revisting some of those earlier delights in 'digital' format and the production of some of the music from that era is just awesome. I just never realised it listening to it on medium wave.

luxury! I had Radio Luxembourg on a Sunday night, late with the signal fading in and out, then Radio Caroline; recording on a secondhand, valve driven, Grundig reel-to-reel recorder - it would still knock the spots off those casette recorders for sound quality but wasn't exactly portable.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hartley,once crossed paths with the great Julian Cope.

It was the start of my one and only Rock-N-Roll weekend. My cousins Wife worked at Island records as a legal secretary. Was spending weekend with her and my cousin and having travelled from Pembs was waiting in her office til we went to a party that night.

Sitting quietly enjoying watching a video being shot in the courtyard,the door flies open and a wild eyed bohemian looking type marches to bosses desk and starts screaming at said lawyer. Words such as "slavery,parasites,thieves" and worse are used,the madman then throws a bunch of papers on the floor and marches out slamming door behind him.

Who the f**** was that I exclaim and what was his problem? Oh thats just Julian replies unflustered lawyer,he has been under contract to us for years to write songs for our artists, he just gave a song to someone else and the idiot let them credit him. He then says would you like to meet him,he will be back in a minute to apologise.

He was,and was a smashing bloke if a little mad in the eye!

B

birdieman

Stop the Cavalry by Jona Lewie, all that brass - still sounds good at Xmas.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
htl, do you remember having to push the play and record buttons together??????

That was life !!!!!!!!!

First single - Heart of Glass by Blondie

First Album - Your Pet Cassette by Bow Wow Wow

I used to have a ghetto blaster (how unPC does that sound now eh?) and tape TOTP top 40 across the living room from the telly. You needed the finger strength of a powerlifter to engage the play and record buttons at the same time.

Only problem with this system was that we had a budgie at the time so somewhere in the basement is a stack of tapes with a little blue budgie warbling over the likes of The Smiths while I try and remonstrate with it

big_russ

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
First single -Mud-Tiger Feet followedby other glam rock greats by The Sweet etc.
First album would probably have been something by Wizard or ELO.
I still have all the old vinyl and when i played some of it a couple of weeks ago my 8 year old son was roaring with laughter at the size of the old albums.

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
I found some old albums from my teenage years and I asked my wifes brother (16 years of age) to tape them for me with the record player his mum had and he said he couldn't work it. This kid had Nintendo's, Sega Saturns and the whole nine yards but couln't work a record player.

Red_Eyes

Medal Winner
Visit site
Bought for me: Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody,though my father bought me "Popcorn" by Hot Butter (1972) but I think it was for him really.

Bought by me: Gary Gilmore's Eyes by The Adverts