Your first 7" single

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
First seven inch was Go now by the moody blues, first album was band on the run by wings, swiftly followed by goodbye yellow brick road ,Elton .
Could you be more of a child of the 70's? You are just missing something by The Eagles 😄.

Here speaks a child of the 80's who can't remember any of the above firsts but musically still largely listens to music of that time 🤭

Grizzly

Visit site
My first album I well recall - Metallica's Master of Puppets, from Our Price in Aviemore in Summer 1988 (technically, joint first, but I am not as keen to admit to buying Wham's The Final, even at age 11, which was the second entry on the receipt!)

First 7" single is tougher. I think the first I bought myself, as opposed to was given as a gift etc, was Queen's The Show Must Go On.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Definitely wearing better than Claire Grogan who I saw last year and is a year younger. Still a good singer and loved seeing Altered Images live.

That's because we all have the image of her in a beret lying on the grass in a Glasgow country park .... also seen her live a couple of times. Wearing about as well as Kim Wilde.

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
Could you be more of a child of the 70's? You are just missing something by The Eagles 😄.

Here speaks a child of the 80's who can't remember any of the above firsts but musically still largely listens to music of that time 🤭
I'm a good few decades before you and I've 5/6 Eagles albums. I've given up on their "Farewell" tours having seen their first one only to find they announced another about 5 years later (which I saw as they added my city last minute)!
And that's not the latest one!

Springveldt

Visit site
I have a stack of singles and LP's in the garage but haven't had a record player for years. One day I'll get rid of them.
Vinyl's cost a fortune now. My oldest child buys one's that they like and they cost around £40 an album now. No idea what the 2nd hand market is like for originals.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Vinyl's cost a fortune now. My oldest child buys one's that they like and they cost around £40 an album now. No idea what the 2nd hand market is like for originals.
Some originals can fetch a pretty penny. Main issue with many originals during vinyl’s era was the number of versions. Represses, re-issues, label changes; they all create confusion over what you really have.

I buy and sell a lot of vinyl, mainly 12” EPs rather than albums, and some that cost me around £5 in the mid 90’s are selling for £80-£100, these are singles mind, due to the rarity in most cases.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Some originals can fetch a pretty penny. Main issue with many originals during vinyl’s era was the number of versions. Represses, re-issues, label changes; they all create confusion over what you really have.

I buy and sell a lot of vinyl, mainly 12” EPs rather than albums, and some that cost me around £5 in the mid 90’s are selling for £80-£100, these are singles mind, due to the rarity in most cases.

I have a Beatles LP I got from a guy working on a Russian Klondiker years ago all printed in Russian, tracks are all covers of Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee etc.

I thought it must be worth a few Bob but last time I looked it was for sale at under £20.

I browse a lot of second hand record shops when I get the chance and the price is strong.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a Beatles LP I got from a guy working on a Russian Klondiker years ago all printed in Russian, tracks are all covers of Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee etc.

I thought it must be worth a few Bob but last time I looked it was for sale at under £20.

I browse a lot of second hand record shops when I get the chance and the price is strong.
There are Beatles LPs that can be as different in value from £15 to £1500 based purely on the colour of the Parlophone label or that there is a slightly different name in the credits list.

The market is nuts. Many of what I buy and sell were never produced in large quantities as it was and, for the most part, were for the DJ community and so they were pretty much worn out or have been damaged reducing their availability to very small numbers.

I just sold a transparent orange pressed EP that I bought in 1994 for £4.50, it sold for £135 as only 2 are available for sale (some others may be for sale on other platforms but Discogs is the main one in use).

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not my first single, but this thread did bring back an amusing memory. Back in 1977, me and my mates were into punk from an early stage. We’d read loads about The Clash but had never heard them as they hadn’t released anything yet.

When their first single came out, we bought it on the day of release and were dying to hear it. We asked the guy behind the counter to play it but he refused as he was an old hippy.

So we went into the Electricity Board showroom a few doors down, told the assistant I was thinking about buying a music centre but would like to hear my favourite song on it first. She agreed, and put the record on. We started leaping about like idiots, the record was quickly whipped off and we were booted out the shop and told not to come back 😁

Back in the 60s/70s We used to have a record shop which had listening booths.
I wish I had gone there to buy my first LP as I would not have bought it if I had listened to it first.
Los Bravos - a one single/ one track wonder.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I sol

I sold a lot of my LPs on ebay and got good prices for them.
My one regret was selling my Pink Floyd, David Gilmour and Richard Wright LPs as a single lot and probably could have got twice as much selling them singly, Sadly at the time Covid lockdown stopped me selling.

This site is great for telling you how to identify your copy and a guide to values.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Get 'em on Strictly with Toyah!
Her regular YTube kitchen clips with Robert Fripp mainly focus on her "anatomy" whilst he looks bewildered 🙄

Toyah, described by music journalist Taylor Parkes on the brilliant Chart Music podcast as "so despised she should have her own secret police" and "the level of anti-talent required to become a 10th rate Hazel O'Connor". He's not a fan.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
I got my first seven inch 45 rpm record
when the last of the pre-vinyl, ten inch, 78rpm shellac records were still being made.

My uncle owned a chain of pizza/pasta/beer joints with jukeboxes,
and I got the old records when they were changed.

Some pretty good jump blues and doo wop back then.
For an Italian American elementary schooler,
I really liked that African American music of the time.
I had a tiny little suitcase style record player which may have been my favorite toy.

Now I have a big audio system with floor-standing loudspeakers and use it for TV sound 95% of the time.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
First 12” vinyl I bought was Grieg’s Greatest Hits (on CBS Harmony)…with a birthday present record token from an aunt and uncle who told me what was expected of it…😂.

My first rock/pop was Bridge over Troubled Water…followed not long after by Selling England by the Pound.