Your first 7" single

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't know.

Don't actually remember buying any singles - although can't actually say I never bought any. Can remember my first album though - Kongos (by John Kongos) Had Tokoloshe Man, and He's Gonna Step On You Again on it

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I was never a singles buyer…and in my early teens I spent my pocket and paper round money on my model railway, playing golf and the very occasional golf ball…but thinking it may have been Maggie May.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Brave of you to admit that. Which version? It was a Xmas no. 1 two years running. Written by a bloke who lived near my cousin in Sunderland. Recorded by lots of people, the royalties must have made him a fortune.

I think it was the version by Nina & Frederik. Not 100% sure but know I bought it as I loved it. For me it was the combo of Christmas and donkeys...what's not to love :)

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm going to sound like one of the 4 Yorkeshire men.....
My Mum and Dad had a record player so I remember listening to Lonnie Donegan's " Tom Dooley".
Back then Woolworth sold 45's on their Embassy label and you got three current hits sung by session singers and they were great if you just wanted to hear a great copy of a song in the charts.
My first personal purchase was The Shadows "Apache" (1961).
Now then, where was I?
Ah yes, glueing the arm back onto my rocking chair 🙄

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I'm going to sound like one of the 4 Yorkeshire men.....
My Mum and Dad had a record player so I remember listening to Lonnie Donegan's " Tom Dooley".
Back then Woolworth sold 45's on their Embassy label and you got three current hits sung by session singers and they were great if you just wanted to hear a great copy of a song in the charts.
My first personal purchase was The Shadows "Apache" (1961).
Now then, where was I?
Ah yes, glueing the arm back onto my rocking chair 🙄
Snap! See post #16

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Not my first single, but this thread did bring back an amusing memory. Back in 1977, me and my mates were into punk from an early stage. We’d read loads about The Clash but had never heard them as they hadn’t released anything yet.

When their first single came out, we bought it on the day of release and were dying to hear it. We asked the guy behind the counter to play it but he refused as he was an old hippy.

So we went into the Electricity Board showroom a few doors down, told the assistant I was thinking about buying a music centre but would like to hear my favourite song on it first. She agreed, and put the record on. We started leaping about like idiots, the record was quickly whipped off and we were booted out the shop and told not to come back 😁