First silverware of the year...

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played in a society Captains day yesterday at Shandon Park GC. (great parkland course not far from the centre of Belfast) Ive been a member for best part of ten years and have to say, this event each year draws out the sharks so wasnt hoping for much at all.
The greens at Shandon are deceptively slopey and even with the rain this past week and a bit, the speed they ran at yesterday was certainly the fastest I had ever played them.
Anyway, shot an 81 with a triple and a quad in there for good measure and walked off with the top spot and longest drive to top it off. One of the prizes was a new golf bag which made me smile as my MD Stand bag is literally on its last legs and needs replacing so I am a happy boy all in all.
I have a question though, I am hitting the ball really well at the moment but there is the occasional hole which is killing great chances of cuts etc. Am I alone?

Last edited:

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well Played that man ,:clap::thup:, congrats on the win , not easy in the society days as like you say the sharks appear ha

As for your question ,nope, im suffering from the same , have the game back on track but one or two holes are killing me ,

Sunday was a society day , played a beautiful track called Mount Wolsey GC, play off 2 in the society ..
-2 through 10 holes became level par through 15 .. 16th is par 3 , pin high just off the green with tee shot . sign for a 5 for scratch , finished par bogey for 35 points , why o why is there always one or two holes in a good round is a million dollar question mate ..

Congrats again ..

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Well played.
Any sh*nks in there?

1 :( was my fault, divot was awful so looks like I shut the face big time, still only bogeyed that hole though.
The quad came from nowhere, 2nd hole Par 4 350 yards all uphill, slight dogleg left) 4 iron from the tee, little too far left on the fairway and had 140 uphill over a tree, opened face of 8 iron got over the tree easily enough but pulled it just left of the green so was below playing off new surface (relaid green and surrounding area), hit it fat then thinned the next one (unsurprisingly!) up to the high side of the green, two tier, putted with dead weight to the top of the tier and it still found the bunker through the other side. Out of the bunker and two great putts :D

Bill, if we could get shot of the one killer hole ....

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
1 :( was my fault, divot was awful so looks like I shut the face big time, still only bogeyed that hole though.
The quad came from nowhere, 2nd hole Par 4 350 yards all uphill, slight dogleg left) 4 iron from the tee, little too far left on the fairway and had 140 uphill over a tree, opened face of 8 iron got over the tree easily enough but pulled it just left of the green so was below playing off new surface (relaid green and surrounding area), hit it fat then thinned the next one (unsurprisingly!) up to the high side of the green, two tier, putted with dead weight to the top of the tier and it still found the bunker through the other side. Out of the bunker and two great putts :D

Bill, if we could get shot of the one killer hole ....

Well in lad nicely done.
Now get in the chipping area and practice not thinking about the shot just hit them and get your feel back mate. You know it's in there just get it back to the surface in your mind.

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well done on the win good result with the bag, as for the question, no your not alone i am starting to struggle everytime i tee it up at our 5th but thats more mental than a tough hole.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
well done! top spot and longest drive:thup:

key to eliminating the really bad holes (quads,triples etc) is to follow the pro's philosophy of never following a bad shot with another bad shot!
Easier said than done you might say but when that wayward drive leaves you under a tree, dont follow it up by trying the long low massive hook to the green and end up worse, leave that to the pro's, when in trouble get back on the fairway and you'll prob get the bogie or double but eliminate the triples and quads..... in theory

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well played !!! Congrats, nice to here of another forum success !!

Ref your 1 bad hole. . . . .I'm having a tough time at the minute for exactly the same reason. One or two bad holes every round. I was on course for breaking 80 for the first time in a medal before smashing 2 OOB on the 17th ... Ended up with an 8(par 3.) I double 2 other par 3's as well.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
this event each year draws out the sharks so wasnt hoping for much at all.

Anyway, shot an 81 with a triple and a quad in there for good measure and walked off with the top spot and longest drive to top it off.

I have a question though, I am hitting the ball really well at the moment but there is the occasional hole which is killing great chances of cuts etc.

You said it pal! ;)