First port of call for back problems? GP?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Morning Gents (and Ladies),

Suffering with a properly sore lower back at the moment and wondering if any of you can point me in the right direction.

I've suffered with on and off lower back pain (a dull ache rather than anything debilitating) for a few years, mainly due to spending a lot of time in the car for a number of years and my bad posture.

This pain went away when I started playing american football and training in the gym (heavy weight lifting to build size and strength)...I'm assuming this was down to stronger core and back muscles. But nevertheless, I didn't get any pain on long drives etc like I used to.

I stopped playing football due to a number of reasons (laziness, time, money) so didn't go to the gym and lost most of the muscle mass I built.

As a result, over the last year or so, the pain has returned. I've began hitting the gym again to re-build some strength and was assuming that the pain would disappear again. That was until Friday, when my back was quite sore and stiff (I'd done a back workout on Wednesday, so this was nothing unusual), but decided to head to the gym on Friday night anyway for a leg and shoulder session.

Woke up saturday and the pain was a lot worse and although we were out shopping etc all day, it was uncomfortable all day..It's better today but still sore. I'm hoping that I've just "over done it" which wouldn't surprise me but just incase this doesn't ease, what's the best way to get the ball rolling on getting it checked out/sorted?

I'm not overly concerned it's anything too serious as I never heard anything pop or had sudden pain when working out (or since then - only sudden twinges when trying to move in a certain way due to the muscles being pulled) and I think that within a few weeks, I will start to re-gain the strength in my back, but just incase, it's always good to know where is best to go first. I really don't fancy (and can't afford) chriopractor/physio work if I can avoid it (mostly due to the cost) but won't rule it out.

The worst thing about it all is that the best weather we've had since Woburn and I was in too much pain to play golf at the weekend :(

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Doctors usually next to useless imo, best to find a decent sports physio, even if just for an intial examination (rather than ongoing treatment). They should be able to advise best way to stop the problem repeating itself too

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had back problems a few years ago , dull ache going down into my hip & left leg , doc hadnt a clue . went to a good Chiropracter , .. when i told him wher the pain was in my lower back he straight away asked was it going down my left leg aswell .. happy days , guy had me right as rain in 6 visits , (2 visits the 1st & 2nd week , followed by one visit the 3rd &4th week)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Doctors (GPs) are useless with sports injuries. Mine flat out refused to refer me to anyone when I fell out of the roof, even though I had private medical cover.

I have a sports physio who I use, £45 an hour, and he is pretty good (he used to work for Bjorn Borg when he was still playing Wimbledon). I also use an osteopath if I know I have put my neck out.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd go with sports physio or an osteopath and skip the GP.

Seeing my physio tomorrow as have tweaked my back and 7 rounds in 7 days in Portugal starting on Wednesday so hope her healing hands are working!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I haven't been off work with it. I'm not that much of a woofter ;)

:whistle:

I went to my doctor with a shoulder problem, got referred to NHS physio, and after a few weeks got an appointment. Now go every two weeks, half hour appointments, not costing a penny, and definite signs of improvement. Very nice attractive young lady as well.:whistle:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I would suggest physio, the osteopath's i've been to have been useless and their guesses as to my bad back missed the arthritus that caused me to have 2 hip replacements!

DCB

Visit site
Went via my GP when I had knee ligament problems last year. GP referred me to local NHS Physio who was very good. I did what I was told to do and was discharged from Physio after 3 months. It would have cost a fortune if I'd gone to a local sports physio clinic or the likes.

Give the NHS a chance, at least at firs, you've already paid for that ;)

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I personally found the chiropractor the best fix for me definately skip the GP, IMO all I got from then was 2 weeks rest and doses of pain killers turned out 2 years later that I had twisted my pelvis out of position and all the rest did was allow muscles to adapt to incorrect position which meant on and off pains. Went to Cheltenham chiropractic clinc was sorted out over about 6 weeks but downside is cost approx £50 to start and £30 a pop there after depending on visits needed.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I had a bad back for about 2 months last summer and my GP was close to usless. All they wanted to do was give me strong painkillers.

In the end rang my old sports physio from cricket andthey rec ice packs and stretching.

Worked wonders.

GripandRip

Medal Winner
Visit site
I herniated a disk a few years back and was in a bad way (couldn't move for best part of a month). Went to see a chiropractor (£30 per session x 20 sessions) who managed to sort me out but it took a good 6 months before I could get swing a club again.

Believe me it's far better to get it checked out now than wait for it go pop. I still get problems now and it's been nearly 5 years but the exercising your doing should help (core muscle strength seems to be the key).

I know a guy who is built like a bull and he popped his leaning over to pick up some toilet roll so, unfortunately, when it is time for it to go, it will.

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
i know the OPs asking for a bit of advice from a forum, but an interesting set of replies

Who really know sthe difference between a Physio, a chiropractor and an osteopath ?

Don't write GPs off. Of course they will recommend pain killers - you are in pain ! Even if it is muscular, yoru back is in spasm and needs th painkillers AND the antiinlammatories to give you relief from teh pain and to allow teh back to relax. Having physio or chiropracty (?) on a back that's in spasm will do you no great good.

A lot of people go to doctors with back pain - they can tell at a glance whether you haev done something trivial, very painful or whether you have symptoms that are different from the rest and whether you have smoething odd.

Also you (at least til recently) need a doctor's cert to have the few days off that you need when you really tweak it

Hope you sort it out

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Aztecs, you have seen how tall I am and know that I played cricket for a good while. My back is dodgier than your claim that you did weights....

Osteopath is the best thing that I have ever had on my back PERIOD!