First port of call for back problems? GP?

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Go to your GP, they won't be able to diagnose what the problem is with any accuracy, GP = General Practitioner, get it? but they should refer you to the NHS Physio Direct. That way you will get decent treatment at no extra cost as DCB states.

If it were me......based on many years of crippling back problems and surgery, I would whack some Ibruprofen down my neck for the next few days and go to see a physio (on recommendation if not the NHS).

I wouldn't visit an Osteopath if they paid me - if it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck.........

D

Deleted member 1740

Usually a little Thai massage does the trick aztecs ;)

triple_bogey

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Years ago I had a similar problem. Dull ache in the lower back area above the arse crack. Got referred to a NHS physio.
Turns out, due to lack of exercise at the time. The tendons/muscles at the back of my thighs were tight. They just needed to be stretched and loosened to relieve the pressure from my lower back (hope that makes sense?).

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aztecs, you have seen how tall I am and know that I played cricket for a good while. My back is dodgier than your claim that you did weights....

Osteopath is the best thing that I have ever had on my back PERIOD!

LOL! :D

Cheers for the advice all. Seems to be easing as the days roll, but I might see if I can arrange to see the NHS physio anyway before going down another route.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm just home from the physio and diasnosis is a sore SI joint which makes sense and after some treatment it's already easier getting off the settee!

Have some lovely blue kinesio tape in the shape of a star which will have to be removed before I hit the pool in Portugal on Thursday!

swanny32

Journeyman Pro
Tiptree, Essex - Where they make the Jam!
www.utilitywarehouse.org.uk
Aztecs, best thing to do is visit the GP and get referred to a Physio. Chances are the Physio will tell you it's all posture related. I had a serious neck injury at the end of last year which still hampers me now a bit, I had a physio stick pins in me and manipulate my spine in all sorts of directions, she left the hospital and I was signed over to another guy, still in some discomfort and not able to swing a golf club, I had one session with this new physio who told me it was all posture and that I had to walk taller and sit taller, within a week, maybe 2 I was back on the course.

If I were you, get referred ASAP as it can take a while to get an appointment, but in the meantime work on your posture, I wouldn't mind betting that will sort it out before your first Physio session.

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
Aztecs, best thing to do is visit the GP and get referred to a Physio. Chances are the Physio will tell you it's all posture related. I had a serious neck injury at the end of last year which still hampers me now a bit, I had a physio stick pins in me and manipulate my spine in all sorts of directions, she left the hospital and I was signed over to another guy, still in some discomfort and not able to swing a golf club, I had one session with this new physio who told me it was all posture and that I had to walk taller and sit taller, within a week, maybe 2 I was back on the course.

If I were you, get referred ASAP as it can take a while to get an appointment, but in the meantime work on your posture, I wouldn't mind betting that will sort it out before your first Physio session.

Cheers mate. I'm almost sure that my problems all stem from bad posture that I've had for years. Luckily gym work in the past has helped strengthen my entire body which in turn has helped my posture and got rid of the pain.

Will give my docs a call this week and try to get something arranged. It's feeling so much better today, might risk the gym tonight as it's chest/tri's tonight...I've eaten a lot of chocolate and oreo cookies over the past 5 days, so I need to burn it all off! :D

Jay Nause

Club Champion
Visit site
I herniated two discs some years ago , couldnt walk for two months and was off work for a year, Osteopath didnt help , chiropracter didnt help , Physio didnt help , got better on its own eventually then three months after went again , this time i had surgery went in in agony , woke up feeling like it had never happened , three days later went to music festival with a back full of staples and hasnt given me much grief ever since .

Anyway my point is i had had muscular and aching back problems for a few years before discs actually went , IF I HADNT IGNORED IT IN THE BEGINNING IT NEVER WOULD HAVE GOT THAT FAR

look after your backs people and build those core muscles