Films

Asian Dawn

Visit site
I recently found out something interesting about the film Erin Brokovich starring Julia Roberts as Erin Brokovich and Albert Finney as Ed Masry (her boss).

About 10 minutes into the film, Erin Brokovich (Julia Roberts) takes her kids to a diner.
The name of the waitress who takes their order is Julia.
So Erin Brokovich played by Julia Roberts gives her order to Julia the waitress who was actually played by the real Erin Brokovich.

To complete the scene, the older guy sat behind Erin was played by the real Ed Masry (her boss)

There is something similar in La Bamba. Near the end of the film there is a family gathering and the old lady sitting on the end of the sofa is Richie Valens' mother in real life. She passed away a few months after the film's release but was honoured to have been asked to be in the film and loved the tribute to her son.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Have you ever watched a movie but in the end you are just happy you have watched it so you know you didn’t miss out?

Gray Man

Reading the books at the moment and found out there is already a movie, the being disappointed it’s only on Netflix just to find out that the family has Netflix when we stayed with the over the long weekend.

Just started the next book on the flight home, 40 pages of that are already much better than the 2 hours of the movie.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not too sure we watched the same film, he absolutely butchers the book and not in a good way. Hence Denis Vilnueve was a Random Irritation for me.

I have not seen part 2 yet but the first part does seem to be a rushed precis of the book rather than following any of the detail. Looks stunning but removes much of the political machinations and lore from the story.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not too sure we watched the same film, he absolutely butchers the book and not in a good way. Hence Denis Vilnueve was a Random Irritation for me.
I guess I didn't want to get into a great long review and tried to sum it up in a couple of sentences. I finished the book shortly before seeing part 2. I, like you, was disappointed with the film. I thought 1 managed to keep focus, gave some strong characters, some strong scenes. 2 lost the focus, touched upon some parts but didn't really hone into the key things. In LotR Peter Jackson simply left out certain parts of the book as he did not want to do everything. I think 2 would have been better had the director done the same thing. Decided what were the key issues, really focus on them. Instead we got a bit of a precis of everything without really getting into the meat of the book/film. What should have been powerful wasn't in the end, key features of the book were glossed over. The strong characters were lost.

I genuinely loved Dune 1, I will stand by that. Dune 2, no.

I will watch it again when it comes on tv, just to see if my expectations were too high and second time around it may be better.