Films

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We’ve been planning on watching the Marvel films/series in chronological order for a while. I’ve seen some of the older films but none of the newer ones from the last 10 years or so. Yesterday’s crap weather enabled us to make a start. Captain America and Captain Marvel down. Both very good. No idea if it makes a difference watching in timeline order, but thought it might help prevent confusion.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We’ve been planning on watching the Marvel films/series in chronological order for a while. I’ve seen some of the older films but none of the newer ones from the last 10 years or so. Yesterday’s crap weather enabled us to make a start. Captain America and Captain Marvel down. Both very good. No idea if it makes a difference watching in timeline order, but thought it might help prevent confusion.

I think if you stick to original cinema order there is no real confusion because you see it as they were released .. and all the link up is surprising as it is meant to be.

Much like watching star wars .. if you start with the prequels after never watching them before it takes some of the magic away

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think if you stick to original cinema order there is no real confusion because you see it as they were released .. and all the link up is surprising as it is meant to be.

Much like watching star wars .. if you start with the prequels after never watching them before it takes some of the magic away
Interesting point. At the end of Captain Marvel, there was a scene in the credits where she is looking for Fury (after seemingly answering the pager she upgraded for him). I recognised two of the people in the scene as Captain America and Hulk but no idea who the other two are (suspect Anvengers I’ve not heard of or seen yet) or why she was answering the page. I suspect those who watch in release order will not have been blind sided.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site

I’m almost finished in my Marvel film journey. We just watched them as Disney suggested in the timeline and it was pretty good. I really enjoyed Captain Marvel, there’s some real stinkers later on though ??
Don’t forget to watch the Spider-Man films later on, they aren’t on Disney so you need to find other ways to watch them ?

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m almost finished in my Marvel film journey. We just watched them as Disney suggested in the timeline and it was pretty good. I really enjoyed Captain Marvel, there’s some real stinkers later on though ??
Don’t forget to watch the Spider-Man films later on, they aren’t on Disney so you need to find other ways to watch them ?
What were the stinkers? I’ll take note of when it’s suitable to ‘rest my eyes’.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The worst Marvel films for me were Black Panther, Doctor Strange's multiverse of nonsense, and the latest Thor one. Which was a shame because Thor Ragnorak was actually one of my favourites. I think he tried to copy that formula but jumped the shark and got it totally wrong.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Captain marvel was ok.
But felt like it was just a way to get her into End game.
It just felt weak to me. The lead didn't have much personality and too much time at the end was spent with her hair floating beautifully as though in a 70's or 80's commercial. Not the worst, Eternals will always win that, but very forgettable.

@Orikoru Black Panther :oops:. I thought that was a cracking film.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
@Orikoru Black Panther :oops:. I thought that was a cracking film.
I think we've discussed it before, but when the villain has ten times the charisma of the supposed hero, to the point where you actively want the bad guy to win, then something is wrong. Sorry to speak ill of the dead and all that but I thought Boseman's BP was bland and dull, while Michael B Jordan absolutely upstaged him. I just don't like the character I guess.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think we've discussed it before, but when the villain has ten times the charisma of the supposed hero, to the point where you actively want the bad guy to win, then something is wrong. Sorry to speak ill of the dead and all that but I thought Boseman's BP was bland and dull, while Michael B Jordan absolutely upstaged him. I just don't like the character I guess.
Funnily enough, I liked Boseman, thought MBJ was hammy. It's a strange old world.