FC's ball in the way

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry if I missed it Duncan. So on hopefully closing my uncertainty on the mark and lift. You (the rules) are saying that in a match I can require my opponent to mark and lift his ball regardless of where it is on the green (Rule 22/2 decision). If it was strokeplay my opponent has the option to play first if I ask him to mark and lift.

no, I don't believe I have said that here, nor do the rules support it.

The rules is short and specific "Except when a ball is in motion, if a player considers that another ball might interfere with his play, he may have it lifted."

the ball therefore has to lie in a position where interference exists - not "regardless of where it is".

if there is a dispute over whether interference exists then the referee or committee would have to rule.

you are not the sole judge of whether it interferes - in the rules you are told when you are.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry if I missed it Duncan. So on hopefully closing my uncertainty on the mark and lift. You (the rules) are saying that in a match I can require my opponent to mark and lift his ball regardless of where it is on the green (Rule 22/2 decision). If it was strokeplay my opponent has the option to play first if I ask him to mark and lift.

[h=2]22/3[/h][h=4]Player Requests Another Player to Lift His Ball in Absence of Reasonable Possibility Ball Might Interfere or Assist[/h]Q.A's ball is on the putting green. B's ball is 100 yards from the green. B requests A to lift his ball under Rule 22-2 as it might interfere with his (B's) play. This happens several times during the round. Is such procedure permissible?
A.Rule 22 is intended to cover situations where there is a reasonable possibility that one ball might assist or interfere with another ball. If the Rule is being abused, as in this case, the Committee would be justified in penalising B for undue delay (Rule 6-7).