FC's ball in the way

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Could you please help on this.

Player A's ball is on the fringe of the green but is in the line of players B chip and run and/or chip. Can player B ask player A to mark their ball.

Thanks

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
22-2. Ball Interfering with Play
Except when a ball is in motion, if a player considers that another ball might interfere with his play, he may have it lifted.
A ball lifted under this Rule must be replaced (see Rule 20-3). The ball must not be cleaned, unless it lies on the putting green (see Rule 21).
In stroke play, a player required to lift his ball may play first rather than lift the ball.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thank you. Is it also the same if both balls were on the fairway. Assume so but want to double check as have had both things happen to me and been told I couldn't ask for the balls to be marked and moved out of the way.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
The rule does not place any limitation. If you think the other ball may interfere with your stroke, you may have it lifted.

G

guest100718

I saw Tiger mark his and just put it towards the side of the fringe rather than hold it, i guess so he didn't accidentally clean it.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I saw Tiger mark his and just put it towards the side of the fringe rather than hold it, i guess so he didn't accidentally clean it.

I tend to hold my ball in a rather exaggerated fashion between finger and thumb to ensure no-one can accuse me of cleaning it (if ball not on green)
A friend once put her ball in her pocket after lifting it, and her opponent claimed a penalty for "cleaning the ball"

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Whether the ball is cleaned is a question of fact. If the action described could result in a ball being cleaned, any doubt should be resolved against the player.

Last edited:

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Couple of other points worth bearing in mind with this rule.

Except on the green, you may only lift a ball that is interfering with another player's play if you are asked to do so. You can't lift your ball just because you think it might be interfering. You should therefore always confirm before lifting a ball on the fringe or fairway in such situations that the other player wants you to do so. Under Rule 22-1 though you can lift your ball if you think it might be assisting another player.

In stroke play if you are asked to lift your ball because it is assisting or interfering with another player's play, you may play first rather than do so (according to the FAQs on the R&A Rules explorer this is where the idea of having the right to putt out derives from).

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Can you have a ball lifted if it's on the line you intend your ball to take, or is it just if it interferes with the club during the stroke?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can you have a ball lifted if it's on the line you intend your ball to take, or is it just if it interferes with the club during the stroke?

if a player considers that another ball might interfere with his play, he may have it lifted.

his play will include the path he anticipates his ball will take

however, mental interference doesn't count ie a ball that's well clear of your line of play, swing and stance but you consider distracting isn't interferering with your play.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I like the idea of my ball coming to rest behind and touching my opponents ball and him (wrongly) refusing to mark it - so I smack my ball and his disappears deep into the woods never to be seen again :)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
if a player considers that another ball might interfere with his play, he may have it lifted.

however, mental interference doesn't count ie a ball that's well clear of your line of play, swing and stance but you consider distracting isn't interferering with your play.

Even on the green? I'll often ask a FC or opponent to mark his ball if it is in my close f.o.v when I line up my putt - even although it is quite evidently nowhere near the line of my putt (it could be yards off my line). He could refuse to mark and lift it could he?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Even on the green? I'll often ask a FC or opponent to mark his ball if it is in my close f.o.v when I line up my putt - even although it is quite evidently nowhere near the line of my putt (it could be yards off my line). He could refuse to mark and lift it could he?

The player has the right to have the ball lifted.

The FC has a choice. He may either mark and lift or play first.

If either the FC or the opponent refuse they would, in equity, be in breach of the rule or be subject to rule 33-7

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
The player has the right to have the ball lifted.

The FC has a choice. He may either mark and lift or play first.

If either the FC or the opponent refuse they would, in equity, be in breach of the rule or be subject to rule 33-7

Well in matchplay I suppose if he is closer I could give him the choice to play first if I was so inclined - though I doubt I'd do that - but the choice of playing first wouldbn't be his unless I offered it to him. I would ask him to mark and lift.

I know it's pushing things a bit but what if I wwe are both on the fairway and my ball is resting behind his. Me to play. I ask hiom to mark and lift and he does. I then take my shot a remove a big divot. He has to replace the divot - assuming he can find it - and place his ball back on the divot and play it from there?

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Well in matchplay I suppose if he is closer I could give him the choice to play first if I was so inclined - though I doubt I'd do that - but the choice of playing first wouldbn't be his unless I offered it to him. I would ask him to mark and lift.

Option to play first only applies to Strokeplay!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site

Couple of useful Decisions

22/1 Mental Interference by Another Ball

Q. In order for A to be entitled to have B's ball lifted because of interference, does B's ball have to be on or near A's line of play and thus in a position to interfere physically with A's ball? Or may A also have B's ball lifted if it is off his line of play but catches his eye and thus constitutes mental interference?

A. A player may, under Rule 22-2, have another ball lifted if the ball interferes either physically or mentally with his play.

22/2 Player Claims That Another Ball Lying 30 Yards Away Interferes with His Play

Q. B's ball is three feet from the green on the direct line to the hole with A's ball which is 30 yards from the green. May A require B to lift his ball, on the grounds that the ball interferes with his play?

A. Yes.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know it's pushing things a bit but what if I wwe are both on the fairway and my ball is resting behind his. Me to play. I ask hiom to mark and lift and he does. I then take my shot a remove a big divot. He has to replace the divot - assuming he can find it - and place his ball back on the divot and play it from there?

If the lie he had when his ball came to rest has been altered, he can place his ball on the nearest spot that is the same as his original lie. Rule 20-3b (but check the procedure for when the ball is in a water hazard or in a bunker)

Last edited: