Fairway woods?

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
That's some striking with a 3 wood. I see the PGA average with 3 wood is 243 yard carry.

Bit of an increase on tour as of late, I think that's old data if you're referring to Trackman. I remember Stenson on a Trackman clip averaging just shy of 270 carry with his 3 wood. Obviously thats a sole case but the averages are definitely up since the data published on their site which is circa 2015 info.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
In what way are they a one trick pony? The most versatile 3 wood i've bought is low spin but I guess thats a difference in playing styles and swing characteristics. I doubt anybody hitting circa 215 yards with a 3 wood is going to be looking at this option really.

As said I'm higher than average spin player (not outrageously so) but not to the detriment of carry distance. I utilise low spin heads, shafts and equipment generally and this puts my spin at optimal levels without changing my swing. Maintains my desired trajectory, more efficient in the wind and get some roll out when desired. don't get me wrong I have frequent lessons with a coach and we look at launch, spin data etc. working on certain aspects and eventually it may be addressed or reduced, but it's not to a any detriment currently.

It's down to OP really, see what bill he fits as you stated it may be the case where it's not the most beneficial route and swing faults could be addressed or it may be more of a case where lower spin through club options fits the bill.
They are one trick in the sense that unless you are getting serious ball speed off them you are going to struggle to carry them on to a green and hold it because you won't have a steep enough land angle because you won't generate enough spin to get the elevation on the shot. They are basically meant and best used as a substitute off the tee, which is ok if that's your objective with that club although for most club golfers over time they would average further with a normal 3 wood or even 4 wood simply because of d-plane. Alot of the pros nowadays are trying to regulate the 3 wood distance for control. Stenson is a prime example, his 3 wood is from 2009 he could easily bag a low spin model for an extra 25 yards

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
They are one trick in the sense that unless you are getting serious ball speed off them you are going to struggle to carry them on to a green and hold it because you won't have a steep enough land angle because you won't generate enough spin to get the elevation on the shot. They are basically meant and best used as a substitute off the tee, which is ok if that's your objective with that club although for most club golfers over time they would average further with a normal 3 wood or even 4 wood simply because of d-plane. Alot of the pros nowadays are trying to regulate the 3 wood distance for control. Stenson is a prime example, his 3 wood is from 2009 he could easily bag a low spin model for an extra 25 yards

Thats fair enough, not something that really poses a problem to me due to my initial launch angle anyway and spin being ideal so I don't have much issue with descent angle. All things for OP to consider though as I imagine its a very small target audience that it fits.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
you're comparing the F8 to the F8+ though. The F8+ even with the rails is extremely workable in my opinion mainly down to the head shape, the rails aren't overly aggresive. It's all well and good manipulating spin but some people do struggle when manipulating in such a way their consistency plummets.

They're your spin numbers the f8+ wouldn't be the best fit as you say you'd reduce spin too much as a result. Theres a lot of people out there that just spin much higher, OP seemingly included. Opting for such a club can bring spin down to more suitable levels which in turn prevent the ball just falling out of the air with some of the standard offerings without the need for such high ball speeds to make it a more sensible option.

All valid points though but I'm taking it that OP is high spin and bringing that down slightly will not drop below optimal levels which will be counterintuitive.
Yeah I’m prone to producing too much spin sometimes and I’m actively working on keeping down my spin levels .i can knock some spin off my irons with a couple of adjustments but struggle with the 3 wood to do this as well I’d rather just play my swing on it and get the flight I want from it to be honest .