New Fairway woods - shallow faces ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1147
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1147

Morning all,
I'm considering changing the top end of my bag. I currently have a Titleist 917 FW set to 4 wood loft, and a Titliest 816 hybrid.
I'm not keep on the hybrid and rarely use it. So was thinking of going back to the old classic set up of a 3 wood and a 5 wood.
When wondering around American Golf the other weekend I noticed that quite a lot of the new breed of FWs have seemingly very shallow faces, particularly the TM Stealth and current Pings.

How do people feel about this, does it give people more confidence than the deeper faced woods, like mine, or do you get scared of hitting under the ball, and skying it, especially if the balls sat up?
Cheers

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I tried some Ping woods in the past with shallow faces and I didn't like them at all. Made it much easier to sky one off the tee especially. I've been using Cobra F9s for a few years now, they look a bit taller and I'm way more confident with them. I never found the shallow faces any easier to hit off the deck so I'm not sure why people would want them really.

Daff

Hacker
Visit site
I'm on the opposite side of the fence - I've always struggled with deeper faced fairways and love the Ping G400 that I've currently got. It's got a shallow face and I find it really easy to elevate from the fairway. I tend not to use fairways from the rough unless it's a really good lie and will usually either take my medicine and play sensibly or use a hybrid

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Morning all,
I'm considering changing the top end of my bag. I currently have a Titleist 917 FW set to 4 wood loft, and a Titliest 816 hybrid.
I'm not keep on the hybrid and rarely use it. So was thinking of going back to the old classic set up of a 3 wood and a 5 wood.
When wondering around American Golf the other weekend I noticed that quite a lot of the new breed of FWs have seemingly very shallow faces, particularly the TM Stealth and current Pings.

How do people feel about this, does it give people more confidence than the deeper faced woods, like mine, or do you get scared of hitting under the ball, and skying it, especially if the balls sat up?
Cheers

Very timely James as im going through the same process. I'm not a fan of of a shallow fairway because as you say, it can slide under in the rough and I'm not as confident off the tee with them

I tried a few 5w's at a large AG near me. The two that stood out were the tour edge e233 and the new titleist. Not as shallow as the pings, but they both were easy to hit off the deck and tee. They had the tour edge in stock but the titleist would have to be pre ordered. Going to go back for another go but think the Tour edge will pip it as it was a bit more consistent.

Gd luck with your search.

Teebs

Visit site
The Rogue ST line is fairly shallow but absolutely worth a look. Picked up the 3HL recently and also going to order the 7 wood for next season.

I don't hit too many fairway woods from the tee so a shallow face works better for me off the deck..

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Morning all,

Cheers

James, don’t know what loft your hybrid is, but if you had the fairway set to 4 wood loft, how about the 4 wood and 7 wood option from Titleist? Quite a few more pros putting 7 woods in, worth a thought?

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Another that prefers the shallow face. I was moving from Titliest 910 fairway and hybrids a number of years ago, found a great Tour Edge Exotics 3w that was superb of the tee but deeper face left me with little cofindence on the fairway so in end I settled with the Ping G series 3w and 3 hybrid and have had them for years. Still like them.

D

Deleted member 1147

James, don’t know what loft your hybrid is, but if you had the fairway set to 4 wood loft, how about the 4 wood and 7 wood option from Titleist? Quite a few more pros putting 7 woods in, worth a thought?
I'll look into it, cheers

Teebs

Visit site

Good idea, I'm going

3HL - 230 yards
7 wood - 215 yards
Hybrid (23° or so) - 200 yards
5 iron and so on.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Adams brought low profile fairway woods on the mid noughties. The idea behind the design is a lower CoG, making it easier to get the ball up in the air. The lower profile also meant a wider face.

Personally, I wasn’t a fan. I found I caught the ball a little too high on the face, leading to inconsistent distances. Rarely hit a worldie with it, it was just a bit meh. To be fair, they did have a decent rep, just not for me.

Teebs

Visit site
Adams Tight-Lies were the king of skying the ball. I remember buying one and the first ever shot was a toe-sky that went about 40 yards.

Great concept but just a little too shallow...

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Morning all,

Cheers

I love a shallow faced wood...always have done ever since I had a set of TM V-Steels. They sit just so much better behind the ball on the fairway.

If playing off a tee then it only needs to be teed up just enough to elevate it a few mm off the ground....no higher.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Adams brought low profile fairway woods on the mid noughties. The idea behind the design is a lower CoG, making it easier to get the ball up in the air. The lower profile also meant a wider face.

Personally, I wasn’t a fan. I found I caught the ball a little too high on the face, leading to inconsistent distances. Rarely hit a worldie with it, it was just a bit meh. To be fair, they did have a decent rep, just not for me.
Adams Tight-Lies were the king of skying the ball. I remember buying one and the first ever shot was a toe-sky that went about 40 yards.

Great concept but just a little too shallow...

Tight Lies tour was the answer, same principle, deeper face.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/27496758...W/pXG05Ng9URskOkS5ZmBRlQ==|tkp:Bk9SR4yj_rb2YA

Not the finest example of the breed, but you get the idea.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’m a high handicapper, but I prefer shallow faced fairways. Got a Ping G series 5 wood and a Cobra F-Max Airspeed 7 wood … both shallow faces. I find them pleasing to the eye when looking down and I find them easy to hit.