Custom fit duration?

Lee.S

Visit site
OK guys, I've been playing for around two years and decided I'd invest in some new clubs after using a full set of second hand Ping G15's.

Following peoples advice, I went for a custom fitting.

End result was I was fitted for a driver, 3 wood, hybrid, full set of irons and wedges in 42 minutes???

No measurements taken of my height, or wrist to floor etc. (Half way through the fitting he said you're about 5"6' aren't you? I'm 5"10')

What kind of time should a fitting take?

I would have thought maybe irons and wedges one day then return for driver and woods. Am I wrong?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I would say you need at least 45 minutes to an hour on every part of the bag to be able to try different setups and have time to compare them.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
OK guys, I've been playing for around two years and decided I'd invest in some new clubs after using a full set of second hand Ping G15's.

Following peoples advice, I went for a custom fitting.

End result was I was fitted for a driver, 3 wood, hybrid, full set of irons and wedges in 42 minutes???

No measurements taken of my height, or wrist to floor etc. (Half way through the fitting he said you're about 5"6' aren't you? I'm 5"10')

What kind of time should a fitting take?

I would have thought maybe irons and wedges one day then return for driver and woods. Am I wrong?

Was the custom fitting at an independent fitting centre, at a club via a pro or at a shop such as American Golf?

YorkshireStu

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’ve been for two fittings in recent weeks. It took about 70-75 mins for my irons and roughly the same time again for my driver. I find it difficult to imagine you’ve hit a good sample of shots with different club and shaft options in that time to settle on the options which work best for you from both a feel and numbers view.

If you’re after a second opinion and you’re north based, Express Golf are fantastic.

Lee.S

Visit site
Was the custom fitting at an independent fitting centre, at a club via a pro or at a shop such as American Golf?

It was at AG.

I'd heard bad reports about them but thought they were exaggerated.

Been on to my local pro to try to book a fitting with them.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
My Driver fitting at my old club lasted over 2 hours!
It took over 30 minutes of chatting and data gathering before we even started to hit different clubs.

There is good and bad in every aspect of life.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It was at AG.

I'd heard bad reports about them but thought they were exaggerated.

Been on to my local pro to try to book a fitting with them.
Haha, that makes sense. Most AG staff are not professional fitters or even golf pros, they'll just be people off low-ish handicaps giving it their best stab and trying to sell you something, basically. Since it's free I would use AG 'fittings' just to try a bunch a clubs out, and narrow it down to a couple I liked the feel of to do a proper fitting with elsewhere.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Slow fitting is a blight on the game.

Folk on here will tell you if you can’t get a full fitting in under an hour someone's wasting time yapping, drinking coffee, checking texts, leaving the bag in the wrong place or dawdling to change clubs etc. Pick the pace up and stop clogging up the bays, if the pro's not selling they're not earning and there’s other players behind waiting to hit their shots, if someone wants to spend half a day getting fitted that’s fine but let the others through…

:LOL:

RichA

Visit site
I got fitted a couple of times at different branches of AG. Nice facilities, except they didn't have the Mizuno Swing DNA, that I was really keen to try, even though they advertise it.
I think the guys who fitted me were pro fitters, but once they realised I was a high handicapper they didn't seem particularly interested in doing anything except putting me on the obvious Ping game improvement irons. Probably the right choice, in the end, but after a 10 minute solo warm up with my own old, unfitted 7 iron, the actual fitting only lasted about 20 minutes. Each request to try anything different was met with an audible sigh.
I eventually got my G425s from Snainton.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
As above, it should take as long as it takes!

The fitter I went to strongly recommended that you don't get fitted for more than 2 items in your bag during any one session due to fatigue etc setting in. He said going for a full bag type offering was destined for failure as you cannot possibly be swinging as well towards the end of a session that could be lasting 5/6 hours.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Took an hour for driver alone - tested several heads/brands/shafts.
Irons took an hour as well - tested 2 heads as I had the shape/design already in my head/ shafts.

Both were akin to a lesson but with equipment added into it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’ve never had the pleasure of a fitting but while 40 minutes for a complete bag is too short is there a danger that fitting sessions could also be ‘padded out’ to give a perception of value &/or quality?

I mean if it took an hour just for the driver I’d be thinking there was something wrong with me (or the fitter) Surely after a few swings a good fitter can dismiss a large chuck of his range as not suitable and just tweak/drill down the ones he knows are in the right area? Why would it take longer than an hour? (accepting its just a fitting, not also a lesson)

Lee.S

Visit site
I got fitted a couple of times at different branches of AG. Nice facilities, except they didn't have the Mizuno Swing DNA, that I was really keen to try, even though they advertise it.
I think the guys who fitted me were pro fitters, but once they realised I was a high handicapper they didn't seem particularly interested in doing anything except putting me on the obvious Ping game improvement irons. Probably the right choice, in the end, but after a 10 minute solo warm up with my own old, unfitted 7 iron, the actual fitting only lasted about 20 minutes. Each request to try anything different was met with an audible sigh.
I eventually got my G425s from Snainton.

Exactly this.

I asked about a couple of different clubs but was soon put onto a full set of Ping G425's at a cost of just under £1900.