Fairway woods?

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
And when you find one, hold onto it forever!
They're like rocking horse poo....

Hence the reason Henrik Stenson plays the 3 wood that he does. I'm sure Callaway have tried many times to get him into the latest range - but it is his "go to" club!

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Hence the reason Henrik Stenson plays the 3 wood that he does. I'm sure Callaway have tried many times to get him into the latest range - but it is his "go to" club!
Yeah that’s like my driver /shaft combo I’ll never part with it.Its taken me long enough to find the right combo that works for me ,just after the holy grail 3 wood combo now lol

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Coz i sold my driver last week. I played today with a three wood off every tee bar one in our front nine.
In all i used it 13 times. Some went well and other times. Well lets not go there. But on our 9th. It is about 150 to carry a pond. Into the wind. I absolutely ripped it. It was a thing of beauty. If i could hit the three wood like that every time i would be a happy bunny but i dont. God knows how the better players are more precise off the tee with a three wood than a driver.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just been in a similar dilemma.

I had an xr16 4 wood. Beast of a club but was only a smidge longer than my 2 iron.

I loved both clubs but flogged the 4 wood to my PP for peanuts.

Been hunting a 3 wood for ages and had pinned it down to either an Epic, cobra f8, mizzy st-180 or a 3 wood version of the XR16.

Now I’ve pulled the trigger on the xr fit nearly double what I sold the 4 wood for and whilst that stings a little, I know I’ve bought a club that just feels and performs exactly how I want it too.

Finding the right wood is as hard as a putter IMO.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
Coz i sold my driver last week. I played today with a three wood off every tee bar one in our front nine.
In all i used it 13 times. Some went well and other times. Well lets not go there. But on our 9th. It is about 150 to carry a pond. Into the wind. I absolutely ripped it. It was a thing of beauty. If i could hit the three wood like that every time i would be a happy bunny but i dont. God knows how the better players are more precise off the tee with a three wood than a driver.
I used to rip the 3 wood but changed to a m4 3 wood and just seems to go straight up in the air with tons of spin it just doesn’t give me the flight I want that bad it’s in the bag but doesn’t get used so I thought I got to fill that gap better with a better alternative but as a lot of you know easier said than done .

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I used to rip the 3 wood but changed to a m4 3 wood and just seems to go straight up in the air with tons of spin it just doesn’t give me the flight I want that bad it’s in the bag but doesn’t get used so I thought I got to fill that gap better with a better alternative but as a lot of you know easier said than done .
As ave mentioned. Am avin a fitting tomorrow. If it goes welli might ask to have a look at the Ping 410 3 wood. But my first post of woods kinda explained my problem. When i hit it right it goes. But all to often it dont. So will the same happen with a different 3 wood. Think i know the answer to me own question. ☹️

Last edited:

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting reading. I’m in the market for a new 3 wood (have an old beat up titleist 910). You guys are selling the cobra f8+ to me. Only thing is I have a cobra bio cell 3/4 hybrid and can’t hit the damn thing!

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I honestly think I hit my original first metal 3 wood the best. Tiny head, steel shaft. May be rose tinted specs, or my swing was just better then!!!

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting reading. I’m in the market for a new 3 wood (have an old beat up titleist 910). You guys are selling the cobra f8+ to me. Only thing is I have a cobra bio cell 3/4 hybrid and can’t hit the damn thing!
I had the cobra f8, didn't like it after a while, the grey gets old quick. Now moved to a 917 3wood which is hands down better in my opinion

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I had the cobra f8, didn't like it after a while, the grey gets old quick. Now moved to a 917 3wood which is hands down better in my opinion
Funny you should say this my old Titliest 915f 3 and 5 woods were rocket ships I used to hit the 3 nearly as long as my driver and it was lovely off the deck .i been looking to get some again but finding it hard to track the spec I had which is what leads me on to maybe the newer Titliest offerings but that cobra f8 got my attention after reading up on it a bit .

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site

917 is a better 3 wood than the F8 but the F8 and F8+ aren’t comparable. If OP is after low spin low launch I found the F8+ (Can’t speak for the F8) better than the 917 F3 and TS3. I also found the face on both a little too deep for my liking, never seemed to get half a ball above the head of the club. It was great for me teed up but if I had anything less than a nice plush lie on the fairway I wouldn’t use it, the cobra as it’s so shallow always sits well behind the ball and with the rails If you have a bare lie you can strike down on it more than sweep. I’ve took many divots with mine, something I never had confidence to do with others.

I prefer the paint finish to the Titleists but the F8+ sits lovely, very compact and you can work it more than any 3 wood i've ever had in my hands as a result.

image sharing sites

Last edited:

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
917 is a better 3 wood than the F8 depending on your requirements. If OP is after low spin low launch I found the F8+ better than the 917 F3 and TS3.

I prefer the paint finish to the Titleists but the F8+ sits lovely, very compact and you can work it more than any 3 wood i've ever had in my hands as a result.
Tbh I found the cobra harder to draw or fade and I think it was because of the rails, it's a good wood off the tee but for me the rails really dont aid the club in any way atall that's beneficial. Spin is a funny one because I can actually make it vary a fair amount depending on how I hit the 3 wood if I hit slightly down on it like I like to do most of the time it spins around 3400, if I play the ball more forward and hit a draw I can drop it to 2800 and carry it an extra 8-10 yards but not really a shot i play often as when i hit a 3 wood off a tee its usually to play short of something. Unless your ball speed is over 160mph with a 3 wood you really dont want your spin less than 3000 as you simply dont have enough speed to keep the ball on the air long enough to get the most out of it and off the deck youl be battling with it all the time.
Most amateurs would do well to steer clear of low spin woods, d-plane wins everytime, you might hit the odd good one but your average will be far worse than with a wood which spins in a better range for your speed. The less back spin there is, any spin axis tilt on the ball will really exacerbate the curve on the ball and you will get the ones which curve alot dont carry very far as they just fall out of the air.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
you're comparing the F8 to the F8+ though. The F8+ even with the rails is extremely workable in my opinion mainly down to the head shape, the rails aren't overly aggresive. It's all well and good manipulating spin but some people do struggle when manipulating in such a way their consistency plummets.

They're your spin numbers the f8+ wouldn't be the best fit as you say you'd reduce spin too much as a result. Theres a lot of people out there that just spin much higher, OP seemingly included. Opting for such a club can bring spin down to more suitable levels which in turn prevent the ball just falling out of the air with some of the standard offerings without the need for such high ball speeds to make it a more sensible option.

All valid points though but I'm taking it that OP is high spin and bringing that down slightly will not drop below optimal levels which will be counterintuitive.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
you're comparing the F8 to the F8+ though. The F8+ even with the rails is extremely workable in my opinion mainly down to the head shape, the rails aren't overly aggresive. It's all well and good manipulating spin but some people do struggle when manipulating in such a way their consistency plummets.

They're your spin numbers the f8+ wouldn't be the best fit as you say you'd reduce spin too much as a result. Theres a lot of people out there that just spin much higher, OP seemingly included. Opting for such a club can bring spin down to more suitable levels which in turn prevent the ball just falling out of the air with some of the standard offerings without the need for such high ball speeds to make it a more sensible option.

All valid points though but I'm taking it that OP is high spin and bringing that down slightly will not drop below optimal levels which will be counterintuitive.
Whilst they may be my numbers I hit the ball alot further than your average amateur golfer, average carry with a 3 wood is 248, ball speed varies 150-154 with a 3 wood. I wouldn't play a low spin model because they are a one trick pony for me which isn't really what a fairway should be IMO. If the average guys carrys a wood say 215 -220 yards theres no way they should be playing a low spin model it will only hurt them over time, they'd be better off spending the money and learning how to hit a 3 wood better

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Whilst they may be my numbers I hit the ball alot further than your average amateur golfer, average carry with a 3 wood is 248, ball speed varies 150-154 with a 3 wood. I wouldn't play a low spin model because they are a one trick pony for me which isn't really what a fairway should be IMO. If the average guys carrys a wood say 215 -220 yards theres no way they should be playing a low spin model it will only hurt them over time, they'd be better off spending the money and learning how to hit a 3 wood better

In what way are they a one trick pony? The most versatile 3 wood i've bought is low spin but I guess thats a difference in playing styles and swing characteristics. I doubt anybody hitting circa 215 yards with a 3 wood is going to be looking at this option really.

As said I'm higher than average spin player (not outrageously so) but not to the detriment of carry distance. I utilise low spin heads, shafts and equipment generally and this puts my spin at optimal levels without changing my swing. Maintains my desired trajectory, more efficient in the wind and get some roll out when desired. don't get me wrong I have frequent lessons with a coach and we look at launch, spin data etc. working on certain aspects and eventually it may be addressed or reduced, but it's not to a any detriment currently.

It's down to OP really, see what bill he fits as you stated it may be the case where it's not the most beneficial route and swing faults could be addressed or it may be more of a case where lower spin through club options fits the bill.

Last edited:

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
That's some striking with a 3 wood. I see the PGA average with 3 wood is 243 yard carry.