face tape, who knew?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
was having a hit with the new Mizuno MP range at my mates. i was left to my own devices and was swapping heads and shafts, one of the heads had some face tape on and was going maybe 20 yards further and any other combination.

Was the X100 shaft with MP18 SC head 6 iron with the face tape was going 170 carry, at night with range balls, everything else about 150 due to the cold air and range balls.

when i was telling my mate how i got in he explained face tape took all the spin out and he sometimes 20 to 30 yard differences due to the face tape.

so if you want to add some distance to your iron play..... get some face tape

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There has long been an argument as to whether or not with modern dimples on the ball do the clubs actually need grooves to get the necessary lift.

However they are also there to channel the water from a wet ball.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes , discovered this years ago
My mate had a bad slice
He'd try drivers with tape on, slice disappears to gentle fade, due to reduced spin
He'd buy driver, slice returns

Then started putting cellotape across driver face, sometimes 2 layers
Reduced spin......but illegal in comps

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Garry in Derry and Coffey, knew you would get a flyer with wet bras ( bloody spell check has put bras and not grass which I typed ) and club head but didn't know about the tape on face bit.

So in essence if someone wants to try a club on comp day with tape on the face to protect the head it is a big no no. Summat else ave learned.

oh ah, lost count the amount of times ave looked at clubs and tried them with the face protected. Isn't that a bit naughty of said sellers to do that. After all, as has been mentioned, look at them figures, no side spin, look at that carry and penetration. Phwoar you have gotta buy it, only for it to be an expensive pile of crap on the course. Which incidentally my crap SLDR had tape on the face when I bought that.

I feel another VW scandal coming on 😳👍😁

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Garry in Derry and Coffey, knew you would get a flyer with wet bras ( bloody spell check has put bras and not grass which I typed ) and club head but didn't know about the tape on face bit.

So in essence if someone wants to try a club on comp day with tape on the face to protect the head it is a big no no. Summat else ave learned.

oh ah, lost count the amount of times ave looked at clubs and tried them with the face protected. Isn't that a bit naughty of said sellers to do that. After all, as has been mentioned, look at them figures, no side spin, look at that carry and penetration. Phwoar you have gotta buy it, only for it to be an expensive pile of crap on the course. Which incidentally my crap SLDR had tape on the face when I bought that.

I feel another VW scandal coming on 😳👍😁

who in there right mind would try a new club during a comp....:rofl:

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
who in there right mind would try a new club during a comp....:rofl:

We/I would, we play every Tuesday and Thursday, which are comp days. If I was trying a club I would go on the range first. If it went well why not, if it did not it goes back to the club shop. Could just imagine smashing 22 points in a nine holer and not getting a cut coz I never entered. Sure my PPs would not say owt if that happened.

YamiKuriboh

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In 'who's your caddy?' by rick reilley he describes playing with some extreme gamblers who grease up every golf shot with vaseline to take off all spin. It makes them hit the ball a lot further and straighter. The only downsides are that its against the rules and also addictive.