F1 2023

Jason.H

Visit site
Yes, Red Bull does have the best car, but in addition to that, there's something they've found which means they get a much greater drag reduction when DRS is activated than any other team. Yes, it's almost certainly a case of better aero efficiency, but that doesn't mean it isn't a significant innovation.

I think my point that you've missed is that in the past, whenever a team has made an innovation that gives them a big (or even modest) advantage, the FIA have been quick to squash it, whereas this year there doesn't seem to be any sign of them doing the same.
So what would you suggest? Make Red Bull redesign their whole car/aero package because their too fast. How about applauding Neweys masterpiece. Its up to the other teams to improve their packages like Aston Martin have leapfrogging Mercedes and Ferrari is amazing. What’s most surprising is Mercedes still seem clueless with these new regs and are one of the slowest cars on the straights.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
So what would you suggest? Make Red Bull redesign their whole car/aero package because their too fast. How about applauding Neweys masterpiece. Its up to the other teams to improve their packages like Aston Martin have leapfrogging Mercedes and Ferrari is amazing. What’s most surprising is Mercedes still seem clueless with these new regs and are one of the slowest cars on the straights.
Mercedes have historically designed cars for going round corners fast and looking after the tyres. Even under the old refs they were very rarely anywhere near the top of the speed charts.

Newey has indeed designed a very good car. But it does help when you can overspend and get away with it.

Redbull are doing something trick with their DRS and rear suspension, so I’m told. Eventually others will work it out.

Aston poached a senior RB designer. Which is why their car concept looks very similar to the RB. And is obviously quick. But as we have seen with them in the past. Copying a design is easy. Fully understanding it and developing it is not.

Even with their concept. They are only 6 points in front of Mercedes.

Given the recent history of the FIA changing regs to bring teams closer if one is a long way in front. I would expect an announcement after the summer break about any changes for next season.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not suggesting anything that could be done. Just expressing my surprise that the FIA haven't tried to squash their advantage, because that's historically what they have normally done.

Maybe the FIA would like to do something, but can't figure out what it is that they should ban?

Jason.H

Visit site
I'm not suggesting anything that could be done. Just expressing my surprise that the FIA haven't tried to squash their advantage, because that's historically what they have normally done.

Maybe the FIA would like to do something, but can't figure out what it is that they should ban?
Im sure the FIA would “ban something“ should something be untoward on the Red Bull. I’m not sure they would like too.
Every time a new set of regulations comes in “a team“ gets out the blocks best and tends to have a long period of dominance like Mercedes did before.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The FIA have form for changing the rules to disadvantage the dominant team. An example is when then forced cars to run high rake in 2021. That severely impacted all the Mercedes based cars but had no impact whatsoever on the Red Bull based cars. It might be conspiracy theory, or it might be real, but I firmly believe that part of that rule change was to lessen Merc's dominance.

The FIA have meddled before and will do it again. This season is probably too soon tho, unless the viewing figures start dropping off for Drive to Survive. They need a good fight or a proper pantomime villain.

The next big rule changes are due in 2026. RB will be totally dominant until then. The cost cap means that even the big teams can't afford to redesign enough mid-season to catch up.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to applaud RB for their unbelievably quick car. I don't think there's anything to ban or tweak, it's just rapid. Also it is the best car for braking with its clever anti-dive suspension arrangement. That was hard to write from a Merc fan 🤣.

History tells you one team has a dominant period and @Beedee could well be right in that the next sea change won't be until 2026.

Swango1980

Visit site
Interesting that this thread has not seen any action for over a month.

Has the dominance of Red Bull diminished any real enthusiasm for the sport? I was also watching the race yesterday, and wondered if it is actually harming Max Verstappen's "marketabilty", or road to legendary status (or however you want to put it). Because, it struck me that the TV footage never actually showed him, apart from at the opening corner, and then when he crossed the line (they probably showed him make a pit stop a couple of times as well). It has been very similar for nearly all of the races this season.

F1 needs a rivalry I think.

Jason.H

Visit site

Has the dominance of Red Bull diminished any real enthusiasm for the sport? I was also watching the race yesterday, and wondered if it is actually harming Max Verstappen's "marketabilty", or road to legendary status (or however you want to put it). Because, it struck me that the TV footage never actually showed him, apart from at the opening corner, and then when he crossed the line (they probably showed him make a pit stop a couple of times as well). It has been very similar for nearly all of the races this season.

Have you not noticed the sell out crowds?
Max is up there with the best imo. As for rivalry, they’re all they’re chasing, even Perez with the same car can’t compete. Give Max some credit😂

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

F1 lost me when they let the farce of the final day happen and cost Lewis his record breaking title.

Not watched or payed any attention since. :ROFLMAO:

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Some loved Mercedes dominance but hate when another team does well.

Even though they sort of dominated for a while iirc most races were pretty close or at least had some racing spectacle to them. The last two seasons have just been dominated by Red Bull cars miles in the distance, that isn’t fun no matter who you prefer to win.

Swango1980

Visit site
Have you not noticed the sell out crowds?
Max is up there with the best imo. As for rivalry, they’re all they’re chasing, even Perez with the same car can’t compete. Give Max some credit😂
My workmate has had an interesting introduction to F1.

A month or so ago he went to Barcelona, got on Tinder, and met up with a girl for the evening. Two weeks later, she invited him back, and had tickets to the Spanish Grand Prix. He was never into it, but went anyway. He is not watching all the episodes of Drive to Survive, and seems to send me an F1 related WhatsApp every day.

He said it was amazing when he was at the race, and the support from Hamilton was unbelievable, which surprised him a bit. Crowd seemed to go crazy every time he drove past, which didn't even happen with Alonso. A couple of drivers were jeered, Max was one of them (he can't remember the other).

Anyway, I think he is a George Russell fan now, and got a Russell cap. He'll have been disappointed with him yesterday.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just seen that Hamilton has been fined €100 for speeding in the pit lane during qualifying. Can we start a GoFundMe page to contribute to his fine as I’m not sure he will be able to afford it on his own 😂

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Disappointed with Perez. How many laps did it take him to figure out what Sainz was doing to keep him behind? It was obvious on the first lap of the fight that Sainz deliberately let Perez get slightly ahead before the third DRS detection line. If Perez had figured it out straight away he might have had a chance to catch Leclerc.