F1 2023

Swango1980

Visit site
For heaven's sake why does F1 attract so many conspiracy theories?
Remember the adage: do not ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.
The FIA have made some shocking decisions in recent years but they were just that: mistakes, not deliberate manipulation with ulterior motives.
Of course Red Bull would be DQ'd under the same circumstances.
I'm not sure. With the likes of people like Bernie Ecclestone in charge in past, it has always been a clean sport. And not once has any team ever done anything dodgy, like have a driver crash to benefit another for example....

It isn't even like there is huge money in the sport, that could maybe sway an opinion or 2 if waved in the right direction :)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
For heaven's sake why does F1 attract so many conspiracy theories?
Remember the adage: do not ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.
The FIA have made some shocking decisions in recent years but they were just that: mistakes, not deliberate manipulation with ulterior motives.
Of course Red Bull would be DQ'd under the same circumstances.
I think you’re correct with the many conspiracy theories, but F1 like VAR in football has not helped it’s cause Unfortunatel.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I'm not sure. With the likes of people like Bernie Ecclestone in charge in past, it has always been a clean sport. And not once has any team ever done anything dodgy, like have a driver crash to benefit another for example....

It isn't even like there is huge money in the sport, that could maybe sway an opinion or 2 if waved in the right direction :)
Re Ecclestone and his tax issues. I dribbled a bit laughing when he “ fessed up” re tax avoidance coz he was fed up of paying solicitors etc to fight the case. How he never did time is beyond me.
Now there’s a conspiracy 😁

Jason.H

Visit site
Interestingly, cars are only tested at random after the race. I wonder how many they check. They didn't check Russell or Sainz. If this was an issue with Hamilton and Leclerc at the very least, you'd also expect it could be an issue with their team mates?
The cars are adjustable for ride height. Images show le Clerk and Hamiltons cars running very low in fact on board during the race you could hear Hamiltons car bottoming out more than others. Running that low on a bumpy track was a performance risk that never paid off.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It was interesting yesterday only 4 cars were checked for this and they all failed (if I remember what was said correctly). The comment made was that is one quarter of the field that finished the race field if those all failed should that not have checked all the cars as it would have shown up the track and the lack of set up time was the problem as Hamilton contended not the cars.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
It was interesting yesterday only 4 cars were checked for this and they all failed (if I remember what was said correctly). The comment made was that is one quarter of the field that finished the race field if those all failed should that not have checked all the cars as it would have shown up the track and the lack of set up time was the problem as Hamilton contended not the cars.
I think it was actually that two of the four cars that were checked failed.
Martin Brundle made the point that if 50% of those cars checked failed, then the whole field should have been checked as well.

I wonder what the FIA would have done if they had to DQ half the field?
They would have almost certainly found some stupid solution - but as I said earlier, through incompetence rather than any kind of favouritism.

I am pretty sure that the bad old days when there was obvious favouritism (eg. Jean Marie Balestre doing everything in his power to nobble Senna for Prost's benefit) are gone.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If the rules say they check 4 cars after each race and only 4 cars, then they did the right thing in not checking anymore. If they start making up rules then they only get tied in knots - as previously proved

Swango1980

Visit site
If the rules say they check 4 cars after each race and only 4 cars, then they did the right thing in not checking anymore. If they start making up rules then they only get tied in knots - as previously proved
I'd be concerned if those tests could indicate a wider problem, and they failed to investigate further?

It is suprising that 2 drivers, from 2 different teams, were DQed. After all, how often do players get disqualified after an event? It is not a regular occurrence after every race. So it is a massive coincidence that 2 have been DQed for the same issue.

Jason.H

Visit site
I thought 4 cars were checked and 2 failed. At the end of the day ride height is calculated by the team during practice. The lower the car the better the performance but then you risk that wear from grounding out more often. Clearly the bumpy track caused more wear than they expected.

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
In most error checking you hit a threshold and then check more. A 50% error means more checks is needed. I have no idead why that would not be written in or not expected

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I thought 4 cars were checked and 2 failed. At the end of the day ride height is calculated by the team during practice. The lower the car the better the performance but then you risk that wear from grounding out more often. Clearly the bumpy track caused more wear than they expected.
THat is correct but how many others tried the same thing. probably a fair few more and certainly more cheking should have been done

Jason.H

Visit site
THat is correct but how many others tried the same thing. probably a fair few more and certainly more cheking should have been done
I agree. I think they do a small percentage expecting that to be enough deterrent to try gaining an advantage. I dare say it’s not a 5 minute job to do all these checks and these cars need to get to the next venue ASAP. To be fair it’s not common for the cars to fail this test maybe the track is more bumpy than it was last year ect.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm not a Verstappen fan by a long way, but applaud him for being the one driver to point out that this race is all about making money for Liberty and nothing to do with the sport.
Too many events are now spoiled by razzamatazz.

I once visited Las Vegas for 48 hours. It was 47 too many. I came away thinking it's the first place on the planet that needs to be nuked.

TimShady

Banned
Visit site
I'm not a Verstappen fan by a long way, but applaud him for being the one driver to point out that this race is all about making money for Liberty and nothing to do with the sport.
Too many events are now spoiled by razzamatazz.

I once visited Las Vegas for 48 hours. It was 47 too many. I came away thinking it's the first place on the planet that needs to be nuked.
He reminds me of Roy Keane in how he sees it as a job.