F1 2023

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Im sure the FIA would “ban something“ should something be untoward on the Red Bull. I’m not sure they would like too.
Every time a new set of regulations comes in “a team“ gets out the blocks best and tends to have a long period of dominance like Mercedes did before.

Red Bull’s dodgy, well documented, overspend allegedly gave them a half second a lap advantage. 70 laps X 0.5secs = 35secs. Get far enough in front and the car settings can be dialled back to protect the engine/chassis etc. And the advantage gave the team a head start in this season’s development spending.

In my opinion, Red Bull didn’t win the championship last season, they stole it. A far better ‘fine’ for Red Bull would have been to ban all development of the RB car for the next two seasons.

Once again, this season, we’ve seen that the deciding factor in where a driver finishes is the car. Aston Martin leapfrogging Mercedes clearly proves that, and Ferrari are back up there too. I’m not sure who’s the best driver on the grid these days as everything seems to be about car development.

Jason.H

Visit site
Red Bull’s dodgy, well documented, overspend allegedly gave them a half second a lap advantage. 70 laps X 0.5secs = 35secs. Get far enough in front and the car settings can be dialled back to protect the engine/chassis etc. And the advantage gave the team a head start in this season’s development spending.

In my opinion, Red Bull didn’t win the championship last season, they stole it. A far better ‘fine’ for Red Bull would have been to ban all development of the RB car for the next two seasons.

Once again, this season, we’ve seen that the deciding factor in where a driver finishes is the car. Aston Martin leapfrogging Mercedes clearly proves that, and Ferrari are back up there too. I’m not sure who’s the best driver on the grid these days as everything seems to be about car development.

Look at the history in F1. Every time there’s a change in regulations 1 team gets slightly ahead wether that’s through aero efficiency, fuel efficiency , power, reliability, strategy, teamwork ect. Then as the upgrades come all the teams improve at a similar rate. Aston were an outlier this season probably due to recruiting a certain ex red bull employee.
No point dwelling on what happened in the past. F1 does not stand still cars change almost every race through development. Adrian Newey has not been “ lucky “ to develop some outstanding cars throughout his career.

Swango1980

Visit site
Look at the history in F1. Every time there’s a change in regulations 1 team gets slightly ahead wether that’s through aero efficiency, fuel efficiency , power, reliability, strategy, teamwork ect. Then as the upgrades come all the teams improve at a similar rate. Aston were an outlier this season probably due to recruiting a certain ex red bull employee.
No point dwelling on what happened in the past. F1 does not stand still cars change almost every race through development. Adrian Newey has not been “ lucky “ to develop some outstanding cars throughout his career.
Just like Pep has not been "lucky" to manage a very successful football team. Although alleged breaches of financial restrictions has certainly helped him.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Yes, of course. Let’s just gloss over RB’s cheating. If you’re happy for RB to cheat, and the FIA to wave their hands ineffectually, fine. Would you be quite so happy when the other teams return the compliment, which is basically what the FIA’s blind eye will lead to?

Jason.H

Visit site
Do you believe that Red Bull overspend has created this recent success? It could be argued that if there was no financial limit then Adrian Newey would still design the best F1 car. For me that is where the success has come from.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surprised no posts about the British F1 GP?

We went and it was brilliant. Got up at 4am and were sitting in our seats at 8:15am to watch the first race, after strolling around and buying some £££££ merch! :LOL:. Kids loved the day but more surprisingly Mrs P loved it too!

The roar when Lando took Max off the line :love:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Piece i believe too many are still traumatised by the singing of the national anthem to comment 😳. I'm guessing he lost a bet or did it for charity. The alternative, he thought it would be a good idea, is too horrible to contemplate 😱

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
@Piece i believe too many are still traumatised by the singing of the national anthem to comment 😳. I'm guessing he lost a bet or did it for charity. The alternative, he thought it would be a good idea, is too horrible to contemplate 😱
Jeez, yes. :LOL:. If you think it was bad on TV, it was so much worse live. People in the stands looking at each other, going WTF?!

Swango1980

Visit site
Surprised no posts about the British F1 GP?

We went and it was brilliant. Got up at 4am and were sitting in our seats at 8:15am to watch the first race, after strolling around and buying some £££££ merch! :LOL:. Kids loved the day but more surprisingly Mrs P loved it too!

The roar when Lando took Max off the line :love:
I guess it is just less exciting with no rivalry at the top. However, even watching on the TV, the roar I heard when Norris took the lead on the first corner was possibly the loudest roar I've ever heard on F1, from an armchair fan perspective. I did wonder what it would have sounded like to actually be there.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Max Verstappen / Red Bull incur a 5 place grid penalty for using more than the allowed number of gearbox parts this year. But that penalty only applies to one race? Doesn’t seem logical, if you’ve already used more parts than you’re allowed for the year, then why not a grid penalty each time? Where‘s the incentive to play by the rules if you only get penalised once and are then allowed to benefit from the disallowed changes in future races?
Of course I understand that MV could have a 5 place grid penalty in every race and still win, but it’s the principle that irks.

Swango1980

Visit site
Max Verstappen / Red Bull incur a 5 place grid penalty for using more than the allowed number of gearbox parts this year. But that penalty only applies to one race? Doesn’t seem logical, if you’ve already used more parts than you’re allowed for the year, then why not a grid penalty each time? Where‘s the incentive to play by the rules if you only get penalised once and are then allowed to benefit from the disallowed changes in future races?
Of course I understand that MV could have a 5 place grid penalty in every race and still win, but it’s the principle that irks.
Because the whole point of the penalties is to give teams a strong incentive to try and stick to the limits, rather than the rich teams just splash cash on lots of new parts all the time.

However, sometimes additional replacements are simply required. Faults, or maybe a crash destroys parts. If the driver was given grid penalties every single race, it really would destroy the spectacle and make a mockery of the sport. Verstappen isn't the only driver who has suffered grid penalties either. Every driver has probably incurred penalties at one point or another.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why focus on RB? It is the same rule for all teams, not one specific to RB. Stop looking for conspiracies where there aren’t any

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
F1 clickbait.
We read the headline...

"Toto Wolff names his replacement as Mercedes team boss"​

That suggests to me that Toto is leaving and has named his successor.
Then you dig a bit deeper and see...

"Toto Wolff has announced former F1 driver Jérome D’Ambrosio, who joined Mercedes in March, will be the one to replace him if he can’t attend a grand prix this season."

Toto has only missed 3 races in 11 years.

Bar stewards

paddyjk

Banned
Visit site
F1 clickbait.
We read the headline...

"Toto Wolff names his replacement as Mercedes team boss"​

That suggests to me that Toto is leaving and has named his successor.
Then you dig a bit deeper and see...

"Toto Wolff has announced former F1 driver Jérome D’Ambrosio, who joined Mercedes in March, will be the one to replace him if he can’t attend a grand prix this season."

Toto has only missed 3 races in 11 years.

Bar stewards
🐟

I hope we're all looking forward to the return of the traditional Sunday playing of the Dutch national anthem 😂