Ever decreasing speed limits!

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I have a fairly old SatNav that has not been updated and shows speed limits as they where four or five years ago. It is very noticeable that many 60 or 70 limits have been reduced to 50 or 40, 50 limits to 40 or 30, and 30 limits to 20. At this rate we will be back to a man carrying a red flag in front of every vehicle! Who makes these decisions? Is it the railway lobby or something?

My other pet hate is that it is often difficult to even see speed limit signs because they are hidden behind vegatation due to Local Government cuts in road maintenance.

What is going on is virtually entrapment to extract more speeding fines from motorists, particularly as many speed limits are now ridiculously slow for the type of road! :angry:

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
They are introduced because of the numpties who ignored the 'faster' speed limits.
I seldom go over 70mph on a motorway and 75% of motorist fly past me.

I was overtaken the other day on a notorious 20 mph school stretch.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's kind of ironic that car safety has improved dramatically, to such an extent that many cars on the road today can stop well within the highway limits, even on a wet road.

However no matter how safe you make a car, it the soft squidgy bit behind the steering wheel that determines how fast or how quick a car goes or stops and as long as humans control the car accidents will happen, and speed limits will continue to fall.

That written, watching the Traffic Cops program on the beeb the other day a traffic cop on patrol, said on camera that the government allow 10% plus 2, he was sitting watching cars go past on the M1, so he was only interested in those doing more than 79mph.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
One reason for the reduction in speed limits is a cost reason.
The cost of those killed or seriously injured in crashes.
Bring speed limits down and you reduce impact speeds when there are crashes
Lower impact speeds lead to less killed or seriously injured so reducing the cost to the tàxpayer as these people are less likely to be admitted to Hospital, thus decreasing the burden on an already overstretched NHS

If you drive anywhere half regularly you get to know the speed limits and therefore shouldn't have a problem sticking to them. The fact that the majority don't is another whole thread.

The other alternative is to, maybe, update your SatNav.....

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm pretty annoyed at older gentlemen who drive too fast, probably because their game of golf took too long due to crowned holes, big carries, normal size holes, a dose of the yips, strengthened lofts meaning over hitting greens and other crazy ideas that pop randomly into their heads.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm pretty annoyed at older gentlemen who drive too fast, probably because their game of golf took too long due to crowned holes, big carries, normal size holes, a dose of the yips, strengthened lofts meaning over hitting greens and other crazy ideas that pop randomly into their heads.

I always wear my leather driving gloves , flat cap, my Biggles scarf and of course my anorak, also my incontinence pants in case I PMSL. :ears:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
All roads should be de-restricted and we should teach people that the wide, black strips of tarmac we create are for big, blunt, fast objects and we need to not play on them and be very aware what they are for.

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a rare chance last night to drive along the country roads at the 60mph that has been set. I honestly lasted about 5 mins before my head was bursting and I was all sweaty. Didn't like it at all. The last time I sped a long a road was a massive straight coming out of Callander towards Aberfoyle. A massive Hare ran out in front of me but darted back in the nick of time. I'd have been in bits if I had killed that poor thing, plus not to mention the mess it would have made to my car. I take care on the roads now. It's more hassle than it's worth.

Totally agree with the poor maintenance of road signs. Remember when Road Tax actually went on the roads.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a rare chance last night to drive along the country roads at the 60mph that has been set. I honestly lasted about 5 mins before my head was bursting and I was all sweaty. Didn't like it at all. The last time I sped a long a road was a massive straight coming out of Callander towards Aberfoyle. A massive Hare ran out in front of me but darted back in the nick of time. I'd have been in bits if I had killed that poor thing, plus not to mention the mess it would have made to my car. I take care on the roads now. It's more hassle than it's worth.

Totally agree with the poor maintenance of road signs. Remember when Road Tax actually went on the roads.

Eeekkk, You sound rather rather non confident on the road.... Far more dangerous than someone who is perhaps over confident. If you have anything like a modern car its well worth knowing how amassing they are at not spinning, not sliding, getting stopped and so on. If someone is legally and safely doing the speed limit and your doing half of that the closing speeds can be a huge problem.

CheltenhamHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

What is Road Tax? I don't think that exists... (or hasn't historically anyway)

Paul77

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Eeekkk, You sound rather rather non confident on the road.... Far more dangerous than someone who is perhaps over confident. If you have anything like a modern car its well worth knowing how amassing they are at not spinning, not sliding, getting stopped and so on. If someone is legally and safely doing the speed limit and your doing half of that the closing speeds can be a huge problem.

I'm actually a very confident driver. My mrs calls me cocky or says I push it a bit sometimes. I know my limits, well below the car of course. I have a 2010 3 series BMW and it's rubbish in the snow, wet, and generally the autumn. Hence why I take my time around the back roads of glasgow. Come summertime it's a free for all.