European tour vs PGA tour

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You are correct when you say the world rankings are biased, the ranking points are heavily biased in favour of American tournaments. The fact that America attracts the top players from outside of the USA suggests that the Tour and set up is doing something correct so you could argue that they deserve the extra points.

Europe will always be a second rate tour now.

I know and its a big shame imo.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
How many top US players don'y come to the Open. Many just don't want to travel.
If they've ever made it to Europe, they probably think that India is an English county.

Which is part of the reason I think that if 3/4 of majors were in europe then the US wouldnt have so many of 'the best' players in the world.

Of course its all speculative but just my opinion.

D

Deleted member 18588

World Rankings points are largely based upon the quality of the field.

If, therefore, the majority of the top players base themselves on the PGA Tour then this will be reflected in the OWGR points awarded.

Makes no difference if those players are from America, Europe, Australia, South Africa or wherever .

I have followed golf for nearly 50 years and throughout that time the American tour has been acknowledged as the strongest in global terms

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As a consumer, I'll watch golf on TV whenever I get a chance, and so you have to applaud Sky and both the ET and PGA tours for their coverage. Does it grow the game? I would doubt it. Maybe when Woods was the dominant force and before his private life imploded. There's no doubt the quality is better in the US on a more regular basis but as the Ryder Cup has shown, even with a number of ET tour stalwarts in the side we can usually give the US a run for their money

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
World Rankings points are largely based upon the quality of the field.

If, therefore, the majority of the top players base themselves on the PGA Tour then this will be reflected in the OWGR points awarded.

Makes no difference if those players are from America, Europe, Australia, South Africa or wherever .

I have followed golf for nearly 50 years and throughout that time the American tour has been acknowledged as the strongest in global terms

Knowledge is king, you my friend nailed the answer and reasons

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like a few have said, the pga tour is more applicable time wise for me, so I tend to watch it more, Thursday through Sunday, not all of it but some, the Euro tour I catch som highlights and some sundays I tend to watch anything if it’s on though and I’m not fighting for the tv!

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
3 of the last 5 Open winners were American ............... just saying

Also "journeyman" like Curtis, Hamilton and Cink have picked up the Claret Jug in recent times. Playing devils advocate I'd suggest that Americans relish the chance to play in the open and it gives them a better chance of picking up a major than any other .