PGA Tour to Introduce New $40 Million Bonus Scheme

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Apparently, compared to other sports, the top guys don't earn enough. They are the draw, box office, and the others coast on their shirt tails.

It's true to an extend. Look at the moaning on here re the Masters. If Rory had been in the lead, who would have turned off and gone to bed?

Me. But that's a different story.

This is a way of rewarding the top guys with enough money that they won't consider the PGL.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You can understand why they do it. Get the names, get the buzz, get the audiences, get the dollars, grow the game.

It’s just the thought of rich people getting more money for doing practically nothing is hard to take. Especially when you know how difficult it is for young people trying to make it into the pro game. And the general rich-poor divide in the world.

They would have been better having some kind of hybrid model where the top names get some money and an equal amount goes to the needy (eg children’s golf, ladies, etc)

Has there been any backlash on Twitter?

Golfnut1957

Visit site
You can understand why they do it. Get the names, get the buzz, get the audiences, get the dollars, grow the game.

It’s just the thought of rich people getting more money for doing practically nothing is hard to take. Especially when you know how difficult it is for young people trying to make it into the pro game. And the general rich-poor divide in the world.

They would have been better having some kind of hybrid model where the top names get some money and an equal amount goes to the needy (eg children’s golf, ladies, etc)

Has there been any backlash on Twitter?
I don't know about twitter, but the condemnation is now into 9 pages on GolfWRX. There is next to no support on there.

The Lion

Visit site
I'm going to pick on the overpaid line.

How have you defined what they should be paid to make that statement?

I agree that the money could be used elsewhere, but a lot of tax will be paid, lots of people employed and many of the top players are already involved with and give a lot of money to various charities and organisations.

I’d argue instead that unfettered free markets and accompanying out of control elite pay, need to be reigned in. It’s also LONG past time for stricter regulation of all the systemic issues that permit such excesses, all at a time when millions are suffering, have lost jobs and have been plunged into poverty. And that’s just the “rich” world ?

You also need to bear in mind that ultimately it’s WE who pay for all this in higher costs for everything golf-related. As for this extra money, all this cash will do is fatten the wallets of the already very rich. It’s unlikely it will create jobs.

For many on the PGA Tour charity involvement is likely just good PR. There are also tax advantages for giving. Given their hardline, toxic politics and hatred of paying tax, it’s also hard to believe many Tour pros do it for the right reasons.

Finally, I think we need to stop justifying or excusing these vast inequalities, and join together to oppose the ludicrous compensation of elites. The ESL “victory” this week could be a catalyst for wider change.

Not doing so is why change will never come and our world will continue to become more unequal, with millions in poverty and ever-increasing numbers turning to food banks; there should be no debate, but somehow there is.

I do believe we’re better than this, but I’ve yet to see others en masse see things the same way. I live in hope.

Last edited:

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
What a relief! I was worried that the people to benefit most from this were struggling to put bread on the table; I can sleep easy tonight.

4LEX

Visit site
The Tiger effect. He'd get more viewers on one leg trying to break 100 than the rest of the PGA Tour. Cue a comeback and more hype over golf's version of Ryan Giggs.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
That picture of Tiger has just appeared on Sky during coverage of the Zurich, they spent a good few minutes discussing it. A few years back the SAS couldn't have got that shot of him, now?

BAD is going to have to produce some video of him swinging at 200mph to catch Tiger. Either that or eat a puppy.