European Tour vs PGA Tour

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I watch a lot of golf and am more than happy for the golf to be on for hours.
But I tend to only watch the PGA tour.

I find that the camera angles they use are better, they track players better, their commentators are more animated which make them more interesting to listen to (for me anyway). And it is on at a better time for me to watch TV.

I struggle with the European tour - I find it less interesting to watch in general. The commentators don't inspire, the actual footage is poor in comparison, i get the feeling that they aren't able to track the play as well as they don't have as many cameras on the course. I realise they can't do anything about the time that it is on but this is core golf playing time, not golf watching...

It even comes down to the Majors - I'll watch as much of it as I can and will typically manage to watch all the footage from the Masters, US open and PGA across the four days. But even I can't watch 11 hours a day from the open. Unless I was stuck in a hospital bed that is!

Does the European tour have to do something to change?
What are your thoughts?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I find that the camera angles they use are better, they track players better, their commentators are more animated which make them more interesting to listen to (for me anyway). And it is on at a better time for me to watch TV.

I struggle with the European tour - I find it less interesting to watch in general. The commentators don't inspire, the actual footage is poor in comparison, i get the feeling that they aren't able to track the play as well as they don't have as many cameras on the course. I realise they can't do anything about the time that it is on but this is core golf playing time, not golf watching...

It even comes down to the Majors - I'll watch as much of it as I can and will typically manage to watch all the footage from the Masters, US open and PGA across the four days. But even I can't watch 11 hours a day from the open. Unless I was stuck in a hospital bed that is!

What are your thoughts?

Not sure what you'd suggest the European Tour coiuld do about this - unless you want the European Tour to move lock stock and barrel from Europe into time zones more suitable for UK evening viewing. So on that one I have no idea what you might suggest. Play European tour events in the evenings - finishing under floodlights?

And any differences in coverage are to be honest neither here nor there for me. I don't look for differences and I don't sense or notice any.

Last edited:

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can't say I've ever thought about or noticed the difference in camera angles so I guess I'm not bothered by it. As for the timing, not a lot they can do about that.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I had Sky I did find the lack of atmosphere at the European Tour Events a bit of an issue. It is really not the same watching the early rounds of a competition being played in front of one man and his dog in the crowd.

G.U.R

Head Pro
Visit site
I would suggest it's the host broadcaster rather than the tour. The PGA Tour is either The Golf Channel/CBS or NBC occasionally ESPN who all have limitless budgets. European Tour is Sky who will have limited resources for the smaller events.

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
The biggest thing I notice is there is far more emphasis on tv coverage of putting as opposed to the tee shots or approach shots.
PGA coverage can literally go 34 minutes (yes I timed it once as I was wanting to see some full shots relating to a swing change I was going through) with putts only, whereas we get to see 'more' golf on the European tour.......but with no crowds or atmosphere at some of the lesser European events

D

Deleted member 15344

Prefer the European Tour coverage by a country mile - they show a wide spread of players during the round and don't just focus on certain players - thy also show tee shots , approach shots and putts unlike the PGA. Also less spitting , less club smacking on the ground and more etiquette from the players.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Prefer the European Tour coverage by a country mile - they show a wide spread of players during the round and don't just focus on certain players - thy also show tee shots , approach shots and putts unlike the PGA. Also less spitting , less club smacking on the ground and more etiquette from the players.

This is bang on. The European tour camera angles are much better imo, they get closer to the action.

No putt-a-thon either or knob ends shouting mashed potato and the like.

D

Deleted member 17920

What are your thoughts?
Where do you watch the US golf coverage?

I used to have Sky but I thought my subscription was to pay for advert breaks and to watch Tiger on the practise range and then to the putting green then to the 1st tee and then the rest of the field have a putting competition :sbox:

That's why it got binned off and saving me a fortune to spend on Curry :thup:

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com

I agree with every word.

EarCat

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It's like comparing the Championship to the Premier League or the BDO to the PDC, just like how watching Martin Adams is not like watching Phil Taylor, watching Jiminez, Bjorn and Cabrera Bello et al does not compare to watching players like Woods, Mickelson and Scott. Also, I know it's not relevant to this particular question, but another pet peeve of mine is the "experts" that Sky call upon, how can Dennis Pugh or Mark Roe know what it's like to be a top player?

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Where do you watch the US golf coverage?

I used to have Sky but I thought my subscription was to pay for advert breaks and to watch Tiger on the practise range and then to the putting green then to the 1st tee and then the rest of the field have a putting competition :sbox:

That's why it got binned off and saving me a fortune to spend on Curry :thup:

I like the format. It works for me. I watch it on Sky

D

Deleted member 15344

It's like comparing the Championship to the Premier League or the BDO to the PDC, just like how watching Martin Adams is not like watching Phil Taylor, watching Jiminez, Bjorn and Cabrera Bello et al does not compare to watching players like Woods, Mickelson and Scott. Also, I know it's not relevant to this particular question, but another pet peeve of mine is the "experts" that Sky call upon, how can Dennis Pugh or Mark Roe know what it's like to be a top player?

Well they are coaches to some of the top players in the world - so I reckon they might know a thing or two

I'm guessing you feel the same about Butch Harmon

Reckon all three are far more knowledgable than Mrs Doubtfire

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com

I prefer the premier league and I don't watch darts.
I like Jimenez, he is great to watch. I also enjoy watching Mickelson play.

You obviously have very high standards for what qualifies as a top level golfer.
Mark Roe played in The Masters (albeit once), the US open and the Open (which he played on numerous occasions), in 2003 he was only 2 shots off the lead after round 3 being being disqualified for not exchanging scorecards with Jesper Parnivik and he won 3 tournaments on the European Tour. Personally I think this qualifies as a top player. Or do you reserve that for multiple major winners?

Sorry Westwood, Donald, Montgomerie you can't have a job on the sky team when you retire from golf as you don't know what it's like to be a top player.

Do you have the same issue with Butch Harmon commenting on golf? He only won 1 tournament and only played in 1 major, once. Someone hand that man his P45...

EarCat

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I prefer the premier league and I don't watch darts.
I like Jimenez, he is great to watch. I also enjoy watching Mickelson play.

You obviously have very high standards for what qualifies as a top level golfer.
Mark Roe played in The Masters (albeit once), the US open and the Open (which he played on numerous occasions), in 2003 he was only 2 shots off the lead after round 3 being being disqualified for not exchanging scorecards with Jesper Parnivik and he won 3 tournaments on the European Tour. Personally I think this qualifies as a top player. Or do you reserve that for multiple major winners?

Sorry Westwood, Donald, Montgomerie you can't have a job on the sky team when you retire from golf as you don't know what it's like to be a top player.

Do you have the same issue with Butch Harmon commenting on golf? He only won 1 tournament and only played in 1 major, once. Someone hand that man his P45...

Butch Harmon does a great job, coaching the greatest golfer ever at his peak. Monty, Donald and Westwood have been or are top class players, it's silly to compare their careers to that of Mark Roes. 3 ET wins and a highest ranking of 40 in 1995, how can he tell you whats going through Tiger Woods mind as he is in contention on the back 9 of Masters, uncharted waters.

mikee247

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

What are your thoughts?

I agree with you - its not as well covered especially the lesser European events. I once played with Steve Bedows who does most of the commentary on the lesser events and he suggested that a lot of the commentary for these events is actually done in the studio in UK and not even at the event itself! :( I like Steve he's a really nice chap but he does go on and its all a bit monotone for me nowadays... The bigger events are good especially with the likes of Radar on course. It could do with a swift shake up for sure. The sherman tanks do do it quite well....apart from all the blooming adverts!!! :(

D

Deleted member 15344

Butch Harmon does a great job, coaching the greatest golfer ever at his peak. Monty, Donald and Westwood have been or are top class players, it's silly to compare their careers to that of Mark Roes. 3 ET wins and a highest ranking of 40 in 1995, how can he tell you whats going through Tiger Woods mind as he is in contention on the back 9 of Masters, uncharted waters.

Because Mark Roe has coached some of the top players

Who do you suggest should be there instead

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
how can he tell you whats going through Tiger Woods mind as he is in contention on the back 9 of Masters, uncharted waters.

How can anyone tell what is going through Tiger Wood's mind? And I couldn't really give a shhh what is going through his mind either.
You are also limiting yourself to a very narrow field of people who could do this job. What would you prefer, Ian Woosnam? Would he be better at this than Mark Roe?

Whilst we are at it; I'd also like Murray Walker to pay back his career earnings. He never knew what was going through Schumacher / Hill / Mansell's minds when they were coming down the back straight to win the championship.
I'd also like John Inverdale to quit his job.
Tim Henmon better not make any comments on Wimbledon, ever.

You don't need to have been the top professional in order to provide good and insightful commentary on sport.

EarCat

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Because Mark Roe has coached some of the top players

Who do you suggest should be there instead

Football has G.Nev and Carragher, tennis has Henman and McEnroe, the PGA have Faldo and the brilliant Feherty. Why can't the European Tour have a Langer, a Lyle or a Torrance commentating when they aren't playing?