European Tour vs PGA Tour

D

Deleted member 15344

Football has G.Nev and Carragher, tennis has Henman and McEnroe, the PGA have Faldo and the brilliant Feherty. Why can't the European Tour have a Langer, a Lyle or a Torrance commentating when they aren't playing?

Well Langer is dull as dishwater as well as playing every week on the seniors in the US - Lyle is also dull as feck and both him and Torrance play every week.

Feherty has done nothing more in his career more than Roe and doesn't provide any insight he just acts like a clown.

Roe is coach to top ten and top 20 players and multiple Ryder Cup players.

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
Football has G.Nev and Carragher, tennis has Henman and McEnroe, the PGA have Faldo and the brilliant Feherty. Why can't the European Tour have a Langer, a Lyle or a Torrance commentating when they aren't playing?

Gary Neville - annoying how he bangs on about defending.
Carragehr - shocking choice to have on the telly - are you kidding me?

Henman - never got to a final - so I would say the same argument you used about Roe's ability to comment on Tiger's mind during the back 9 of a Masters sunday
McEnroe - Quality!

Faldo - can be interesting but he is only used in small doses as he tends to only open his mouth to change foot
Feherty - Quality! Wayne Riley is like the European Version of Feherty.

Langer - why would you want him on? How interesting is he as a commentator?
Lyle - see above
Torrance - he would be good IMO

The European Tour also brings in David Howell at times and he is great. They have also had Chris Wood and others on.

groundskeeperwilly

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I like watching both tours but some of the points above are true-Euro crowds can be low and affect the atmosphere. I think the US generally do a better job of showing info on the length of putts, player stats etc etc which I quite like seeing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Feherty v Riley - Harry Hill says FIGHT!

I love watching golf at anytime and so I ain't bothered. Sky have no control over the US feed so I can't be arsed to sweat over the number of ads. I just log onto the laptop or make a drink. No biggie. I like the European tour and it definitely gets close to the action but when its a lesser event some of the commentators are dull (Beddow etc)

Big D 88

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I know its not really related to the TV aspects but one thing i would love would be for the European Tour to have the resources to provide Shotlink or something similar.

ShotTracker on the PGATOUR website is fantastic. When i'm at work i love nothing more than tracking my selections through every hole. Whereas on the European Tour i have to manually refresh my phone every 20mins or so just get the score for a particular hole.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Butch Harmon does a great job, coaching the greatest golfer ever at his peak.QUOTE]

You learn something new on the forum all the time, I never knew Butch had worked with Jack Nicklaus.

I can't stand the PGA Tour coverage, constant adverts, constant drivel coming from the commentators, interviewing sponsors, pond life in the crowd shouting inane comments, only showing putting most of the time and the blanket coverage of Woods even when he is not in contention. Give me the European Tour anytime where you can actually see some golf and if atmosphere means "mashed potato" and "get in the hole" you can keep it thanks.

D

Deleted member 17920

You learn something new on the forum all the time, I never knew Butch had worked with Jack Nicklaus.
I see what you did there :thup:
I can't stand the PGA Tour coverage, constant adverts, constant drivel coming from the commentators, interviewing sponsors, pond life in the crowd shouting inane comments, only showing putting most of the time and the blanket coverage of Woods even when he is not in contention. Give me the European Tour anytime where you can actually see some golf and if atmosphere means "mashed potato" and "get in the hole" you can keep it thanks.

Well said and I couldn't agree with anymore hence why I binned it.

upanddown

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I much prefer the European Tour coverage.

Sky's in house commentators are far superior to the US host broadcasters and we tend not to be subjected to Hawksworth and Morgan for the European tour Stuff.

Also, I like to watch the up and coming European players make their way in the game, the likes of Manassero, Oleson and many more, as opposed to the US rookies and journeymen.

Good to keep an eye on "local" talent also, the likes of Marc Warren, Scott Jamieson, Stephen Gallacher,Craig Lee and Chris Doak were great to watch this year.

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
Good to keep an eye on "local" talent also, the likes of Marc Warren, Scott Jamieson, Stephen Gallacher,Craig Lee and Chris Doak were great to watch this year.

Totally agree with this.

I really enjoy the European Tour coverage on Sky - yes some commentators are dull etc but list another sport that's on the TV with commentators who cause couch rage...the entertainment (for the most part) comes from watching pros hitting shots, the more chat that we can hear between caddy and player the better to try and get an understanding of their thought process (this is where good on course commentators come in and to be honest the Euro coverage seems to have the best). The less 'in studio' chat the better.

EarCat

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Butch Harmon does a great job, coaching the greatest golfer ever at his peak.QUOTE]

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! don't be so silly. I can't remember Nicklaus winning 4 majors in a row, winning the US Open by 15 shots, then winning the Open by 8 shots a month later. Also, Tiger Woods had to beat fields where more than 5 players could actually win. TIGER=Greatest of all time.

D

Deleted member 15344

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! don't be so silly. I can't remember Nicklaus winning 4 majors in a row, winning the US Open by 15 shots, then winning the Open by 8 shots a month later. Also, Tiger Woods had to beat fields where more than 5 players could actually win. TIGER=Greatest of all time.

Which golfer has won the most Majors - that will tell you who is the greatest

EarCat

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Which golfer has won the most Majors - that will tell you who is the greatest

I suppose that you think that Andy North is a better golfer than Adam Scott or Justin Rose then? Ayrton Senna is widely considered to be the greatest F1 driver ever, even though he only has 3 world championships to his name. Is Rafael Nadal not the best/second best tennis player of all time?, even though he has 1 less Grand Slam than Pete Sampras. Are Westlife (14 Number 1's) twice the musicians that The Rolling Stones (8 Number 1's) are. You cannot say that the sole number of majors won is the only factor to consider, 14 majors won in this era with the best fields golf has ever seen is more impressive than winning 18 majors over a quarter of a decade where only a tenth of the field had any chance at all. Also, Tiger has won more PGA events in his 18 year career than Nicklaus did in his 45 year career. All this still means Tiger=Greatest of ALLLLLLLLL Time

D

Deleted member 15344

I suppose that you think that Andy North is a better golfer than Adam Scott or Justin Rose then? Ayrton Senna is widely considered to be the greatest F1 driver ever, even though he only has 3 world championships to his name. Is Rafael Nadal not the best/second best tennis player of all time?, even though he has 1 less Grand Slam than Pete Sampras. Are Westlife (14 Number 1's) twice the musicians that The Rolling Stones (8 Number 1's) are. You cannot say that the sole number of majors won is the only factor to consider, 14 majors won in this era with the best fields golf has ever seen is more impressive than winning 18 majors over a quarter of a decade where only a tenth of the field had any chance at all. Also, Tiger has won more PGA events in his 18 year career than Nicklaus did in his 45 year career. All this still means Tiger=Greatest of ALLLLLLLLL Time

I'm sorry but how many of the games greats played when Woods was winning his majors compared to how many of the greats were playing when Nicklaus was winning !

As for any music or driving references - irrelevant

Until Woods surpasses Nicklaus in the record books in regards the majors then he will never be the greatest IMO

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I'm sorry but how many of the games greats played when Woods was winning his majors compared to how many of the greats were playing when Nicklaus was winning !

Until Woods surpasses Nicklaus in the record books in regards the majors then he will never be the greatest IMO

Have you ignored my earlier arguement then?
Also - the reason that no other golfer at the time could be called a great was because Woods was winning all the Majors, he wasn't giving anyone else a chance. Also, would you not consider Ernie Els or Vijay Singh a golfing great?

EarCat

Assistant Pro
Visit site

The "greats" of the game from Nicklaus' era have padded records because Palmer, Nicklaus and Player were the only players who had the ability to win majors, bar a lesser golfer having the week of his life. Therefore if 1 of the three didn't win, invariably one of the other three would. The same stands all the way through his career. Throughout Woods career, are Mickelson, Singh, Goosen, Els, Garcia, Mcilroy, GMac, Scott, Harrington, Furyk, Donald, Westwood et al not all great golfers, plus the lesser golfers like Ben Curtis or Todd Hamilton having their best week ever. Tiger is playing in the best era of golf, it goes to show how good Tiger is that the no one else during his career has won more than 5 majors.

As for comparing Woods/Nicklaus to anything else, the only way to compare things from different eras is to compare it to it's fellow competitors. Senna raced against Prost in the same car, Vettel races against Mark Webber in the same car. The Rolling Stones competed with the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Who, Pink Floyd and the Jimi Hendrix Experience for Number 1's, Westlife competed with the Spice Girls, Boyzone, Gareth Gates and Bob the Bloody Builder for their Number 1's. What is more impressive?