European Tour vs PGA Tour

D

Deleted member 15344

Wow - I'm speechless at the ignorance of golfers in the past.

I'm bowing out now.

D

Deleted member 15344

I can't quite believe that your whole argument revolves around 'who won most majors? those are the best golfers ever'. If you were an economist, you would be unemployed.

I'm not economist so the comment is irrelevant.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Liverpool v London - FIIIGHHHTTT!!!!

Anyhow, this is not on track to the OP. ET and PGA are totally different IMO and it's hard to compare them, different cultural audiences mainly determines the US coverage, it's more about "entertainment" (i.e. what the "people" want to see) rather than the actual golf, the ET is more, well almost purist, in my eyes. So the coverage is different. The angles and analysis is different because the core audience is different.
Yes, I realise that we get to watch both but we are not the US broadcaster's target audience, we are merely a by-product of selling the rights to the highest bidder.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wow it was only meant as a light hearted comment, didn't mean to upset the Tiger lovers and hijack the thread. But, wasn't it Tiger himself who said his goal was to beat Jack's major record and become the best of all time, so far he hasn't and doesn't look likely to, so he isn't even the greatest in his own eyes.

And the Jack played against weak fields argument doesn't stand up, how about Palmer, Player, Trevino, Watson, Weiskopf, Lema, Jacklin, Irwin, Seve, Miller, Thomson, De Vicenzo, Charles, Norman. Jack won majors whilst all these players were in their prime.

jp5

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
PGA Tour has it sewn up. Better camera angles, features, more interesting commentators to listen to, more atmosphere in general. Probably helped by the crowds, in turn helped by the low admission prices. PGA Tour is more of a spectacle and for me is the better viewing experience.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's like arguing with a 5 year old.
Sorry, you're not 5 so that is irrelevant... :D

What I think you need to realise is there is no set rules or guidelines to judge who is the best

I use a certain criteria - and I form my opinion on that. That doesn't mean I'm wrong but it's an opinion that I know is backed up by a lot of people within the game including the players themselves.

S

Snelly

I cannot stand the PGA tour, the appalling US golf coverage, Nick Faldo or Tiger Woods.

All are quite awful in their own way.

D

Deleted member 18588

The "greats" of the game from Nicklaus' era have padded records because Palmer, Nicklaus and Player were the only players who had the ability to win majors, bar a lesser golfer having the week of his life. Therefore if 1 of the three didn't win, invariably one of the other three would. The same stands all the way through his career. Throughout Woods career, are Mickelson, Singh, Goosen, Els, Garcia, Mcilroy, GMac, Scott, Harrington, Furyk, Donald, Westwood et al not all great golfers, plus the lesser golfers like Ben Curtis or Todd Hamilton having their best week ever. Tiger is playing in the best era of golf, it goes to show how good Tiger is that the no one else during his career has won more than 5 majors.

As for comparing Woods/Nicklaus to anything else, the only way to compare things from different eras is to compare it to it's fellow competitors. Senna raced against Prost in the same car, Vettel races against Mark Webber in the same car. The Rolling Stones competed with the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, the Who, Pink Floyd and the Jimi Hendrix Experience for Number 1's, Westlife competed with the Spice Girls, Boyzone, Gareth Gates and Bob the Bloody Builder for their Number 1's. What is more impressive?

Clearly you are a younger man who has zero knowledge of the golfers of the period 1960-85 if you can only name Player and Palmer as challengers to Nicklaus.

As I have said on many occasions it is impossible to claim that any sportsman is the greatest of all time. All that can be said is Nicklaus was the greatest of his era and Woods has been the greatest since 1997.

With regards to the comparison of bands I am afraid I thought that was something only teenage girls did.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Anyhooooo back on track, there are merits to both tours and lets face it as an armchair viewer surely any golf is better than no golf? I'm not sure the relevance to a Woods v Nickluas tangent on a topic regarding the two tours. Neither, with the exception of the Open have bust a gut to play on the European tour and its like comparing the giants from any sport, a fruitless task unless both were playing at the same time at the peak of their powers