European Super League

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
If FIFA/UEFA ban players from international football then perhaps restriction of trade as player contracts will allow them to play for their national team?

There’s more than one way to skin a cat. Even if not banned expressly from international football, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that national managers will be “encouraged” not to pick players from ESL sides. That may be the conspiracy theorist in me going slightly overboard, but it’s not entirely impossible.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There’s more than one way to skin a cat. Even if not banned expressly from international football, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that national managers will be “encouraged” not to pick players from ESL sides. That may be the conspiracy theorist in me going slightly overboard, but it’s not entirely impossible.
Would be the only way a St Johnstone player gets picked for Scotland...now..?

As far as the restrictions on travel and suchlike for players of these clubs coming from such as Dowden - really...? Dowden being a guy who tells us that football is nothing without the fans...has he not spotted EPL matches have been played in empty stadia for many months - no doubt to very significant TV audiences across the globe - something most certainly at the forefront of the thinking of the ESL owners.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

If FIFA/UEFA ban players from international football then perhaps restriction of trade as player contracts will allow them to play for their national team?
You can only be selected for your National Team if you are registered with that National Governing body, if the FA remove the registration of the ESL players then they are no longer eligible to be selected.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Perhaps similar to rugby where to play for some nations you have to play in their domestic leagues. That got past the lawyers okay.

Hopefully, as many have said, this is largely hot air, the grubby bunch will get a bigger piece of CL pie and next season will carry on as usual.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I guess a lot of the success (or failure) of the ESL may not be so much about what is done to stop it but how the nerve holds of those 12 who have started it. Will any of those blink given the reaction of the fans, maybe some of them don’t buy into the idea quite as much as the others. Once one of the 12 backs done will others follow and they’re left with a 5 or 6 who suddenly don’t have the same pulling power.

As a United fan I dislike City intensely however I’ve always thought that their owners have acted in the best interests of the team including the whole club. I can actually see them being one of the teams that does back down if it does come to the crunch, I think possibly Liverpool as well. I don’t think the Glazers care what anyone else things so they’ll still in in this thing until the bitter end. Barca and Real will be there as, financially, they’re in trouble and this is a way out.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I guess a lot of the success (or failure) of the ESL may not be so much about what is done to stop it but how the nerve holds of those 12 who have started it. Will any of those blink given the reaction of the fans, maybe some of them don’t buy into the idea quite as much as the others. Once one of the 12 backs done will others follow and they’re left with a 5 or 6 who suddenly don’t have the same pulling power.

As a United fan I dislike City intensely however I’ve always thought that their owners have acted in the best interests of the team including the whole club. I can actually see them being one of the teams that does back down if it does come to the crunch, I think possibly Liverpool as well. I don’t think the Glazers care what anyone else things so they’ll still in in this thing until the bitter end. Barca and Real will be there as, financially, they’re in trouble and this is a way out.

It's now actually being reported (on Twitter though) that at least 2 of the clubs are on the verge of bottling it in light of the reaction.....

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
It's now actually being reported (on Twitter though) that at least 2 of the clubs are on the verge of bottling it in light of the reaction.....

The version I’ve heard/seen is that two clubs were not particularly keen in the first place but were faced with the choice of waving the ship goodbye as it sailed towards the dollars or boarding before the gangplank was pulled up.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You can only be selected for your National Team if you are registered with that National Governing body, if the FA remove the registration of the ESL players then they are no longer eligible to be selected.
Indeed. And players could say that it was by the action of their club that that happened - could be inevitable if the FA say that that is what will happen. Would that enable a player to claim breach of contract by his club - by the clubs action he is no longer able to play for his country and his contract may say he is free to play for his country...in some form of words or another.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
They are claiming that their financial structure will provide greater payments to clubs, and I think the success or failure of the ESL will depend on this; if they can, as they claim, provide more money for other clubs that UEFA do, can you see the other club chairmen turning it down?

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Perez is saying they are doing this to save football !!! More likely to save Real given the huge debt they are carrying
That was exactly my thought as well. This is all driven by money, not "for the good of the game". All this will do in the end is generate more cash to pay even higher, grossly inflated, wages to the players and widen further the gap between the haves and the have-nots. I bet the agents are already rubbing their hands.

D

Deleted member 16999

They are claiming that their financial structure will provide greater payments to clubs, and I think the success or failure of the ESL will depend on this; if they can, as they claim, provide more money for other clubs that UEFA do, can you see the other club chairmen turning it down?
I can, I think the risk of promotion/relegation to the ESL will not help, plus the risk of more money only being able to buy 2nd tier players and losing your best would kill the game as a spectacle, all those Leagues involved simply become feeder leagues andvthe gap between the “Big 6” and the rest grows even wider.

I don’t know if you heard the Palace chairman on Sky last night, I thought he came across very well and I don’t think Chairmen like him will ever support it.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My plan for a North and South British League just might just catch fire.
Cut off line the Mersey to Humber.
Winners of both leagues play off to be British Champion.
Better together and keeps the Europeans out.
Win Win.