European Super League

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
How can they make the ESL more attractive? Have a read of Post #14 above, why would you want to play in a League were you could finish above another Club and you get relegated instead of them?

Then have nowhere to go back to as you’ve given up your own League.?‍♂️
The lack of quality in the PL without the 6 would make the ESL more attractive. After all, that is what the whole project is based upon. The best teams in Europe playing each other. That’s why the CL is held in such high regard now.
I agree with the post about the PL being more competitive without the big 6 though. But it’s watching the best that brings in the money.
As I say, big decisions and big risks all round.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Two groups of 10 teams with the top 3 from each league going into a knockout and 4th/5th in play off to join them for quarter and semi finals and then the final. Assuming a club gets to the final then that's a maximum of 23 games - 18 group games (home and away), 2 x QF (h & a legs), 2 x SF (h & a) and 1 single leg Final match. If they aren't in any other competitions then why are they going to need a squad of 50 for 18 to 23 games per season?

Plus the domestic league and domestic cups which is where I expect the squad players to be used. (Think British Lions midweek team)

D

Deleted member 16999

The lack of quality in the PL without the 6 would make the ESL more attractive. After all, that is what the whole project is based upon. The best teams in Europe playing each other. That’s why the CL is held in such high regard now.
I agree with the post about the PL being more competitive without the big 6 though. But it’s watching the best that brings in the money.
As I say, big decisions and big risks all round.
If the ESL has all the quality players, again, why would a Club want to join them for 1 season with a weaker (relatively speaking) team in a League were certain teams are exempt from relegation.

You can’t have a competition were no matter how bad you are you are guaranteed to stay up.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I think that they're being very short-sighted in their proposal.

ESL?

Pah, surely they should be thinking WSL, get some South American teams in, maybe a couple of Asian teams and an American one.

WORLD SOCCER LEAGUE!!

Much more money to be made.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I think that they're being very short-sighted in their proposal.

ESL?

Pah, surely they should be thinking WSL, get some South American teams in, maybe a couple of Asian teams and an American one.

WORLD SOCCER LEAGUE!!

Much more money to be made.

Can't believe you've not mentioned the Inuits

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
That’s the same generic statement on the Liverpool website - they were talking on 5 live that the main protagonists are the ones with the statements and the others are going along at the moment

JP Morgan it seems will put up money to start and no doubt others

The usual TalkShite cobblers then as it is on every one of the English club sites.

And I now have to deep clean my computer to remove any trace of Sp*rs. :mad:

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Would they though? Surely the self proclaimed “Big 6” would be hoovering up all the talent with their massive budgets? Expect squad numbers to be around 50 to cover all the fixtures they will have to play. The Premier league will be a very 2nd class product. (I wonder if my season ticket will be any cheaper?)

Also random irritation...how the Hell have Tottenham wormed their way onto the gravy train? Last won the league back in the days of Pathe news, no real Champions league pedigree and serial under achievers!

"Spurs getting into the ESL is like me walking into The Crucible & putting 50p on the table"

Shamelessly stolen from social media.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
Not if they were to get expelled from the Premier League, which seems to be the most likely path if the ESL does go ahead.

Of course if the Premier League, and other national associations carried out the threat to expel them from their respective competitions it would turn into a whole new ball game. But of course that isn't going to happen in a million years. The Premier League and La Liga will still have a product to sell, but getting top dollar for a product where the highlight is Leicester v Everton or Getafe v Villarreal is harder than if they were flogging Man United v Liverpool or Barcelona v Real Madrid.

Imo there is no way TV money will go flooding into a league where there is no promotion or relegation. Manchester United v Liverpool and Real Madrid v Barcelona are massive games in the domestic calendars and attract millions of viewers worldwide.

Why? Because usually the result of that game matters big time to where the season's league trophy is going to end up. But who would give a monkeys if Man United were playing Liverpool for the privilege of finishing 7th. Or if Real and Barcelona were battling it out at the foot of the table but the loser was in no danger of getting relegated? People will pay to watch relevant matches. Not games with all the incentive of a testimonial.

Simply can't see it happening.

As happens every time something like this comes along a compromise will be reached which, as is also fairly commonplace, will please no one. But life will go on.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In regard to promotion and relegation, it’s interesting that I think 3 of the 6 are American owned.
There is no promotion to or relegation from the NFL. As I understand it there are salary caps to stop the richest teams hoovering up all the top players (can’t see that happening in the ESL as it’s based on being a rich team) and the worst team from last year gets first choice in the next draft.

The point is that they have seen that no relegation can and does work and in their eyes they are keeping the dream alive by offering what appears to be very limited promotion to their league.

For once. I am too young to remember but there was strong opposition to British teams competing in the European Cup in the early days.

Ultimately if this goes ahead, if everyone is smart it will just be an alternative to the CL. The UEFA chap proclaiming it’s the end of football forever, talking of banning players from the WC and Euros (therefore devaluing those comps) and making personal attacks on club CEO’s is ludicrous. Cool heads and calm leadership is needed and none is evident.