European Open

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
From what Twitter is saying it was about as classless as it gets.
Not seen it though...
Excellent win for McEvoy though......

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Was a great final putt from McEvoy to seal it and like the way he overruled his caddie by laying up with his second.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was rooting for Mcevoy, what a great story that is!

Excellent putt to win it after leaving so many short all day.

Totally classless by Bryson, no one to blame for his poor, slow play but himself

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Excellent from Mcevoy, especially after bogey on 17.

Bryson is an interesting character. Not a fan of his pace of play, but intriguing how he does everything his own way. Mark Roe in commentary was scathing on a lot of the coverage I saw. But give the guy a break, he’s competitive and at the business end of quite a few tournaments.

But imo completely stupid to take on so many shots when his long game was letting him down all weekend. Especially the 2nd go at 18, from 262. What is he thinking? Just accept you aren’t going to win and try & make par. As it is he spent a few thousand euros coming down the stretch.

obviously of the mentality, I didn’t come all the way to Germany to finish T3. And the handshake looked completely classless. Surely after a competition is over, you can be genuinely happy for your fellow pro & offer him a smile and a warm congratulations.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Superb putt to win it. De Chambreau is not making any friends and has come across this week as a petulant idiot and I get the feeling he thinks he's a big fish as a PGA player and that he should somehow be more "feted" by the ET for gracing them with his presence.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Looks like DeChambeau has apologised for the poor handshake

edit: Even more importantly is that Richard McEvoy has the rest of this season and next two seasons on the tour without having to fight to retain his tour card!! It's taking him 17 years to do that; well done :thup:

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Christ, give him a break. He's only human. I don't think I've ever walked off the course beaming from ear to ear after a triple bogey. It's not as if he refused to shake hands completely.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Christ, give him a break. He's only human. I don't think I've ever walked off the course beaming from ear to ear after a triple bogey. It's not as if he refused to shake hands completely.

Golf is a game of honour, you be humble in victory and gracious in defeat. Regardless of how you play, you congratulate your opposition, it's not like it was Mcevoys fault for him folding. It was very poor form by him but at least he's had the decency to apologise.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golf is a game of honour, you be humble in victory and gracious in defeat. Regardless of how you play, you congratulate your opposition, it's not like it was Mcevoys fault for him folding. It was very poor form by him but at least he's had the decency to apologise.
He had literally just holed out on a triple bogey, the culmination of a shocking run of holes. The done thing is to shake your opponent's hand - he did that, albeit just about. Should he have given him a hug as well? He came out and apologised later when the heat of the moment had passed. I think that's fair enough.

D

Deleted member 15344

He had literally just holed out on a triple bogey, the culmination of a shocking run of holes. The done thing is to shake your opponent's hand - he did that, albeit just about. Should he have given him a hug as well? He came out and apologised later when the heat of the moment had passed. I think that's fair enough.

R and G has it spot - he should zero grace or respect to the winner , is that how the modern golfers now react when they lose , his handshake wasn’t even token - it was disrespectful and petulant. Golf isn’t football where players show a lack of respect but maybe it’s creeping into it with the player behaviour and the crowds acting the way they are and people thinking it’s not a big deal. The guy needs to grow up - his Paddy fit last week at the Open was bad enough.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I agre.

Whilst it didn't look fantastic at the time. He had a mare and was justifiably frustrated.

He has since apologised. Case closed imo

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
R and G has it spot - he should zero grace or respect to the winner , is that how the modern golfers now react when they lose , his handshake wasn’t even token - it was disrespectful and petulant. Golf isn’t football where players show a lack of respect but maybe it’s creeping into it with the player behaviour and the crowds acting the way they are and people thinking it’s not a big deal. The guy needs to grow up - his Paddy fit last week at the Open was bad enough.
Well I'm certainly not saying he did the right thing, I'm just saying I understand. Golf is frustrating sometimes and he is human like the rest of us. If he had five minutes longer before the handshake I'm sure he would have been fine.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I rememeber when he met Jack last month having won. The win almost seemed irrelevant to him. He was more happy just to be talking to Jack. He seemed truly humbled. Imo he’s a nice person.

He strikes me as as someone who has ocd issues. Almost to the spectrum level. He is fine and comfortable when things are making sense to him. But struggles massively when things don’t compute. I see it less as a strop and more that he just doesn’t know how to handle it.

Hes apolosgised which imo shows that he knew it was wrong.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

I was dormie two up in a club match the other week, went bogey, double then lost on the first extra, I was more than gracious in defeat, it wasn't my opponents fault how I played those last 3 holes.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I was dormie two up in a club match the other week, went bogey, double then lost on the first extra, I was more than gracious in defeat, it wasn't my opponents fault how I played those last 3 holes.

Have you never lost your temper?

The fact he’s done it on the course makes him no worse than anyone else who’s done it elsewhere.

He’s human. He had a bad day and took it out on someone else (if a poor handshake can really be deemed as taking it out on someone). I doubt anybody can say they haven’t done the same.