Equipment Sharing

SueB

Visit site
Please can someone tell me if there is a penalty for sharing golf trolley and golf bag in an individual competition.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
There is no penalty, but the club might have a rule that prevents club sharing. Best to check with them too.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Both. Sharing a bag and a trolley is not penalised. Bratty mentions clubs, which is a different question, so clarifying, that while some places may allow that, it is penalised under the rules of golf.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I never used a buggy, but it’s weird that it is fine to share that when the aim is pace if play, and 2 players might have 1 far away from their ball.
Trolly would be impractical for space reasons, clubs against rules, I think.

I got plenty of shares of my mates ball retriever, though.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Rule 4.1b(2) for clarity

(2) No Sharing of Clubs. A player is limited to those clubs they started with or added
as allowed in (1):

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Clarification 4.1b(2)/1
Multiple Players May Carry Clubs in One Bag
The Rules do not restrict multiple players (such as partners) from carrying their clubs in one bag. However, to reduce the risk of penalty under Rule 4.1b, they should make sure the clubs are clearly identifiable to each player.

SueB

Visit site
Please can someone tell me if there is a penalty for sharing golf trolley and golf bag in an individual competition.
The question was about sharing golf bag and trolley while playing an individual competition? Not clubs

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Played a betterball strokeplay with my brother one time when we put 7 clubs each in our bags and shared clubs. This included two putters and that seemed to confuse other players.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I expect you are thinking of foursomes and fourballs where partners are allowed to share clubs provided there are no more than 14 between them. [22.5 and 23.7]
Help please. I'm having difficulty with 22.5 and 23.7 - I'm finding the wording unclear. Bear with me in my explanation, but I'm struggling to know how many of the statements below could/would be true?

a) Partners in match choose not to share clubs. They can have 14 clubs each - so a total of 28 between them, but individually each player has access to only 14.
b) Partners in a match choose to share (say) a driver - but nothing else. So each player has 13 of their own clubs plus one shared driver. A total of 27 clubs between them but each player has access to only 14.
c) Partners in a match wish to share (say) a driver. But if they do, they are restricted to just 14 clubs between them.

How/why does the wording of 22.5 and 23.7 allow you to come to your answer?

Last edited:

salfordlad

Visit site
Help please. I'm having difficulty with 22.5 and 23.7 - I'm finding the wording unclear. Bear with me in my explanation, but I'm struggling to know how many of the statements below could/would be true?

a) Partners in match choose not to share clubs. They can have 14 clubs each - so a total of 28 between them, but individually each player has access to only 14.
b) Partners in a match choose to share (say) a driver - but nothing else. So each player has 13 of their own clubs plus one shared driver. A total of 27 clubs between them but each player has access to only 14.
c) Partners in a match wish to share (say) a driver. But if they do, they are restricted to just 14 clubs between them.

c) is correct. If partners share ANY clubs, then they cannot exceed a total of 14 between them. That last clause is clear, IMO: sharing is okay, so long as ... total ... is not more than 14.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

Sorry if I caused any confusion but I think ...provided there are no more than 14 between them says the same thing as ... so long as the total number of clubs they have together is not more than 14.

Share 14 clubs with your partner and you have 14 clubs between you. Share 14 clubs with your partner and together you have no more than 14 clubs