Environmental initiatives your club has adopted

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
My club has just contacted members, advising they wish to adopt green policies that endorse specific objectives covering :

Wildlife and nature conservation
Water resourses
Energy and carbon
Waste management
Chemical use
Purchasing policy, training and education

The club are ordering re-usable insulated mugs for our halfway hut.

They are also going to provide separate recycling bins, and are considering solar power.:unsure: Not sure if Hampshire has the right climate for this:), and what the likely pay back period would be ? Any ideas.

Also considering electric car charging ports, which would be supplied by Porsche. Didn't know they had any electric cars.:whistle: We have very limited parking spaces, and would have to pay to have the ports fitted which would be around £1,800. The club are hoping to recover this sum by getting Porsche to take out corporate membership. This would then allow their owners that are not members of the club to use the charging ports.

Any thoughts on the above, and also any new ideas that your club has introduced, or even your own ideas on how clubs should go green.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have tried to be organic for quite a few years (sea weed fertilisers etc)

Some areas of the course are left untouched for animals to live in

We have wood pellet boilers for heating and hot water

The driving range (about 20 bays) has solar panels across the entire length

Water comes from a bore hole

We have had a request from one member for electric car charging points and it is under consideration, the same member requested that all buggies for hire be switched to electric ones.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are about to embark on very similar ideas too.

Already have solar panels which bring in around £8000 a year and also have a Bio mass boiler .
Looking at putting down areas of wildflowers and joining operation pollinator later this year

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Curious about the environmental advantage of bamboo tees vs. other wooden ones.
Bamboo can reach growth rates of up to 3.5ft per day without the need of any artificial interjections. It is deemed to be sustainable, don't ask me what that means in reality. It is also flexible, tough and less likely to snap than your standard wooden tee.

I've copy pasted some of the above from a bamboo tee company. I don't know how well it all stacks up but that applies to a lot of environmental products.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
As far as I'm aware, at the Zoo, the only environmentally friendly thing they do is use the wood from felling and trimming trees in the wood burners in the clubhouse :unsure:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our entire course has been turned over to amphibians...

But apart from that, I honestly couldn't think of a single initiative. I don't know if anyone in the committee has any specific responsibilities.

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I think somebody at our club looked into separate plastic recycling but found it was going to cost too much money.