ENGLAND GOLF DROPS HANDICAP IDEA FOR NOMADIC GOLFERS

Tinkerman

Visit site
Thought it was called an Open for a reason?! Not really an open Open if you're excluding people because of an unfounded fear of manipulated indexes.

Bandits have existed in clubs for decades. Why not go further and ban anyone with an index above say 5 in case they are bandits too?!

evemccc

Visit site
100% agree with this. Whenever I look at Opens to play in I look at the course, the cost and the format. If anyone is playing them because of the prize money then they are exactly the people you don't want there.

There is a hotel course near to me that runs a couple of Opens each year with prize money that is totally out of kilter and the winning scores are utter nonsense. I knew a former pro that worked there and he knew there were cowboys winning but there was nothing he could do about it, the hotel thought it brought them good publicity ?. I avoid Opens with big prizes as the nonsense of the winning scores sticks in the throat.

I have played in 3 opens and enjoyed them because it’s a chance to play new / good courses at generally much cheaper green fees. I have mostly enjoyed the PP I have been paired with....apart from the two who cursed their way round after every shot and were so obviously angry with themselves (and everyone else) that it was somewhat uncomfortable

I agree that prize money is quite high and would have thought that reducing the financial prize to the thrill of winning itself and a small prize would not deter the golfers I’d want at my course (if I were a club secretary) - excessive prize fund i imagine can only incentivise out and out banditry

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most of the opens I have played in were selected for the following reasons :
1. I hadn't played the course before.
2. I then had a playing partner that may know the course.
3. To avoid playing alone.
4. I was on holiday.