England Golf. Closing golf right or wrong?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
It was totally the right thing to do and golfers only have themselves to blame. We had one weekend to prove that we could be trusted and far too many just went on as normal and disregarded the precautions and protocols. Furthermore, look how many people on here alone have posted about going on the course or looking for loopholes to allow people to play. With comments like these about in the golfing community, do you really think that people can be trusted to go out of there own, to not join up as a 2 ball once out of site of the clubhouse, to become a 4 ball further round so as the usual people can play together.

An out and out ban on golf was the only option and very much the right one as, and I would like to say it was a minority but scenes at my club would say that was wrong, people simply cannot be trusted.
This semi-lockdown was coming whether the weekend well or not.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
As much as I'm desperate to get out there I think its the right thing to do. The silver lining with the winter being so bad is it will give courses time to recover. All being well with the green keeping staff, the courses should be mint when were allowed back out.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
This semi-lockdown was coming whether the weekend well or not.
I do not disagree, but any argument that golf should be deemed an acceptable form of exercise in small groups or on your own was pretty much ended by the fact that golfers, including those who were in the at risk category who arguably should not have been there in the first place, showed that they could not even follow the most basic rules on social distancing.

mackum

Visit site
I’m torn on this one. I’ve elderly parents I need to protect but I pass more people exercising by walking around than I ever do on the course. We see parks and beaches littered with people and as we can’t get online food shops we end up queuing to get in places around more people.

It seems when we need as many open spaces as possible, more are closing. Did they do the right thing or did they bolt too early when they should maybe have been proving some reasoning?

P.s. no name calling people as self centred or selfish. We’re all entitled to genuine opinion.

evening gents, I have just walked along the riverside watching couples out, people on bikes, people fishing for goodness sake, why can we not play golf
it provides exercise
some social [distance] contact
provides families with a break from each other

solution
anybody on lock down in the house stays locked down
play two balls
play bunkers and level with your club like it used to be done
fix a wooden pole as the hole, its in if it hits the pole, no contact, no dispute
try it on the winter greens
all clubs have a booking facility increase the timing to 15 mins between matches [no gathering etc]
restrict the practice area to 3 people maximum 30 mins
keep the locker rooms closed
clubs in car, change shoes in car park
I don't think that is a big ask

if we don't play, clubs will fall into disrepute because members will not pay their membership fees
if the cubs run short of money the greenskeepers will be paid off and our lovely courses will fail

come golf union, everyone appreciates the rationale behind your decision, but reconsider please

mackum
happy yip

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Right decision methinks, we are all in the same boat, can’t treat people differently

I saw a piece on the TV yesterday saying that as some parks are closed, this is forcing people out for exercise, onto the pavement, thus making contact more likely.

I think parks need to be open, but policed,

Doodle

Visit site
Mmm.
The majority on here think England Golf made the right call.
Maybe a short break isn't the end of the world, unfortunately this isn't going to be a short break.

I think that if stringent rules were brought in to ensure social distancing for all forms of exercise not just golf, then that should possibly have been tried first.

My main fear for the blanket ban is the damage it is eventually going to cause to mental health & fitness & eventually if this goes on for long enough a lot of clubs & courses just won't survive.

Looking at the precautions the Government is taking I reckon we could be in for a 12 - 18 month lay off.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
evening gents, I have just walked along the riverside watching couples out, people on bikes, people fishing for goodness sake, why can we not play golf
it provides exercise
some social [distance] contact
provides families with a break from each other

solution
anybody on lock down in the house stays locked down
play two balls
play bunkers and level with your club like it used to be done
fix a wooden pole as the hole, its in if it hits the pole, no contact, no dispute
try it on the winter greens
all clubs have a booking facility increase the timing to 15 mins between matches [no gathering etc]
restrict the practice area to 3 people maximum 30 mins
keep the locker rooms closed
I don't think that is a big ask

if we don't play, clubs will fall into disrepute because members will not pay their membership fees
if the cubs run short of money the greenskeepers will be paid off and our lovely courses will fail

come golf union, everyone appreciates the rationale behind your decision, but reconsider please

mackum
happy yip

Why start your own thread and then cut & paste it here, or visa versa.

We’re all shut, locked down, accept it and move on.

mackum

Visit site
it absolutely cannot just be for 3 weeks , testing kits or not, respectively hope your wrong on the 2 - 18 months, our course and many more will not survive that

mackum

Visit site
new member mate, apologies if its caused you trauma, wasn't sure how to post
but sorted now thanks for the guidance

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I reckon we have another 4mths minimum of being locked down to some degree, might be more relaxed (doubtful) or more severe (likely).

The cabin fever in here is going to reach new heights.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think that if stringent rules were brought in to ensure social distancing for all forms of exercise not just golf, then that should possibly have been tried first.

Stringent rules are in place but you still idiots down the beach and no listening regarding social distancing, then how do you think it'll be stringently enforced on a golf course

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
e

But as all but essential car journeys are now prohibited, only those that could walk to the course could play anyway. In reality we are nearing a full lockdown as in Spain in my opinion, given that people are still ignoring, or abusing, the current restrictions.

elliottlale

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes its the right action to take, however I think too many are still working and shouldnt be. Only medical workers, chemists and food shops should be allowed to stay open.
the world is still turning im afraid, those that you list are only a handful of those needing to work. military, bin men, public transport workers, engineers, logistical firms, firemen etc.......so many people contribute so much to society and are needed during times like this

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
the world is still turning im afraid, those that you list are only a handful of those needing to work. military, bin men, public transport workers, engineers, logistical firms, firemen etc.......so many people contribute so much to society and are needed during times like this
Maybe theres more than those I listed, but right now too many are still working and going about their usual business. Travel risks contamination and transmition, and we have to accept the harsh reality that things will get tougher before it gets better and it's better to take that pill sooner rather than later.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Preferable to being dead I suggest
I'm not being dramatic here I promise, but at what point does that change? If I was in my eighties and still played golf/generally went outdoors a lot, the idea of being locked up for 18 months, not being able to see family, not being able to go for a pint, etc...

A little morbid I know, but just throwing it out there for discussion :)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm not being dramatic here I promise, but at what point does that change? If I was in my eighties and still played golf/generally went outdoors a lot, the idea of being locked up for 18 months, not being able to see family, not being able to go for a pint, etc...

A little morbid I know, but just throwing it out there for discussion :)

What would you suggest ?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I raised this purely as a point of discussion. I thought that I made that clear, but apparently not.

I'll ask again; if you were in your eighties, at what mark would you think 'sod that just to stay alive'? The potential idea of living out your last couple of years in isolation must be scarier than dying of a virus, to some at least.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
It would seem that whoever you are aiming the question at is assumed to have no respect for the lives of others he may knowingly or unknowingly infect.

The mantra is of course, "it's not only about me"