England - Croatia

Yidio

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As you all know,a win tomorrow would see us qualify for South Africa.

If you were the manager,would you persist with Wright-Phillips & Heskey over Lennon & Defoe? Being a Spurs fan myself i'm obviously biased but it was no surprise to see those two come on the other day & produce a goal between them,with Lennon also adding another one on a plate for Shrek to miss.

If you believe what you read,Heskey is likely to continue & i find that staggering. Defoe has scored more goals for England in 15 months than Heskey has in 10 years. Also,for a fella of Heskey's size,he gets knocked off the ball like a little girl far too often. There is no need for a little & large act up front,we have the quality in the team to play it on the deck.

I'd seriously look at Glen Johnson,too. Good going forward,can't defend for toffee. At fault again the other day.

Thoughts?

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
I can see where your coming from with Defoe as he seems to be scoring goals for fun at the moment........and that was difficult for me to say being a Hammer. But would he have scored if the big man hadn't "softened up" the defence prior to him coming on? It's good to have a big target man, and it's good to have someone small and pacey like Defoe......but it's even better to be able to switch it around, in the middle of a match.

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I cant see why we persist with Heskey, I too am a yid so maybe a tad biased BUT.......

If we get to the world cup final and play a team like spain we will probly only get one or two decent chances infront of goal, if that chance should fall to Heskey 9/10 he will miss...... FACT! Compaare him to Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand etc etc, all great finishers wo would take there chances.

Now is the time to give Rooney and Defoe a chance up top.

Yidio

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not going to happen though is it Murph. To be fair,Rooney is capable of pulling off something ridiculous out of the blue,as is Defoe. Heskey is not.

Twire,i see what you're saying about softening up the defence but better defences will not be softened up by Heskey,will they? He backs into the centre half & falls over!!!

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Twire,i see what you're saying about softening up the defence but better defences will not be softened up by Heskey,will they? He backs into the centre half & falls over!!!

I was thinking more of Carlton Cole.....but I'm not sure he's up to the job yet.

Yidio

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good point. Would be an improvement over Heskey. He gave our defence a bit of trouble at Upton Park a few weeks ago. He's got a good pass on him,too haha!

Thought he played well when he came on in Holland aswell. Maybe Heskey is outstanding in training,which is why Capello continues to pick the..........

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Heskey was a liability under Mclaren and Ericsson and has proved to be the same under Capello. He gets pulled far oo often for fouling opponents when jumping and I'd prefer an inform striker like Defoe running at defenders and forcing them to make a tackle.

I thin Cole offers more as a front man than Heskey and think he should be given a run and see what he can do. We know all about Heskey (not good enough)so lets see the future.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
How about dropping Lumpard and moving Rooney to the left and Gerrard to the center and keeping Heskey with Defoe upfront, not hard work.

Also dropping Johnson, he is utterly useless.

forefortheday

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Richards is twice the defender.

Yep you are right Parmo it's the pies that done it!

Be serious Micah Richards???? Might be a proposition when he gets rid of the big time Charlie attitiude (ask a Man City fan) but until then Johnson is the only option for me.

(Hate to say this but it just shows how good Gary "Isn't this a manly tache" Neville was)

minty18

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Leighton Baines or Wes Brown as right back, even Wayne Bridge instead of Glenda Johnson

Homer you've named two left backs and a crock..... none of them can do the job at RB.

Richards is probly the only player pushing but I would say both him and johnson are similar and both are error prone.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think that the little eye tie will stick with the same line up.
He knows now that he can trust them to do a job. I rate Defoe far more than Heskey but he is far more effective for the national side as an impact player. Heskey couldn't do that job.

Isn't it strange that in every era there is one player that no one rates but still keeps getting picked.

John Barnes & Chris Waddle for that matter used to frustrate the **** out of me. They would produce at club level but did nowt at international level...... And don't quote me "the goal" from the maracana. That was THE only thing he ever did in an England shirt.

I've got to say that I have lost my enthusiasm for the national team.
Loved watching them under Robson & Venables. But they have lost their way and don't play with flair and passion anymore.

Too much money in the game. Their fees should go to a charity. Why should someone be paid to represent their country? Surely this is the greatest honour in sport!