Employment experts....Enforced holiday at Xmas.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
When i started working back the early 60s up to the 70s all building trades had to buy building stamps from their employer and cash them in at holiday times. They looked much like the old green shield stamps stuck on a card :eek:, If you didn't have enough stamps you got nothing had to sign on the Bru.:mad:

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Ok thanks peeps

Time to suck it up

If it makes you feel any better Fragger I share your pain this year; I'm apparently the cover over Christmas for my team & because of other factors, I'll be in until 5 every day (normally finish at 3).

Don't worry guys, I'm covering the off time. Will text you pictures so that you don't feel you've missed out on good food and wine.

D

Deleted member 16999

Don't worry guys, I'm covering the off time. Will text you pictures so that you don't feel you've missed out on good food and wine.
I’m happy to share the burden with you mate if you find yourself flagging at any time.:)

D

Deleted member 16999

Might be best if you hold the camera whilst I let off the party poppers and open the champagne.
Certainly will, you don’t want to take on too much over the holiday fortnight, you’ve got to think of the next 50 weeks.:)

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fairly usual in the building trade. My contracts of employment stated "x" days holiday per annum of which 5 must be taken at the Christmas break which usually worked out at just under 2 weeks off. Unfortunately, the job I did meant that I was often working at home during that period to reach deadlines. To compensate a bit, I would often take days off out of my entitlement either side of bank holidays which made 2 shortened weeks working i.e. Mon - Wed then Wed - Fri with a 5 day break between. At Easter, that's almost a whole week off for 2 day's leave.

Wolf

Visit site
My industry most people are lucky if they get boxing day off. I usually let people alternate their holidays every other year at Christmas so 1 year half the staff have the week off between Christmas and New year, then the following year they switch round. We don't even have shortened hours except for Christmas eve and boxing day. As the boss I take Christmas eve and boxing day then work from home on call out in between but I always do New Years Eve and New Year's day to let people have that off and let their hair down.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I’m happy to share the burden with you mate if you find yourself flagging at any time.:)

If the two of you feel at any time that things are getting too much for you to handle then I'm happy to step up and help. I've only given myself a short Xmas break this year so I'll get home on 19th Dec and will be back at work on 3rd January and can help out if needed. Maybe I could assist by supplying photos of the Xmas cheese board this year. (y)

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I get kicked out of the office on the 13th December and don't go back till 6th January. So it's a 3 week break this year and no holiday pay for me.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
20th to the 6th for me....but it could easily be the 7th or the 8th depending on whether the golf course is in a fit state or not....(y)

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We are given the option of coming in if we want but the majority of the company won't apart from the asian/indian/muslim members of staff as they take eid/ramadam etc off during the year instead. If we do take it off we have to use annual leave or build up flexi time to use instead.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We close at Christmas and for 1 week in August. We don't count the Christmas closure as holiday so staff get that for free. The summer one is taken from holiday allowance but it is in their contracts and they all knew this before coming to work for us.