Employment advice

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Need a bit of advice please guys.
I work for a local coach company as a driver. A few weeks ago we started a deep cleaning regime in the nights to clean and disinfect coaches that have been out that day. I was given this duty for virtually a month, whilst other drivers were only getting two or 3 nights tops.
I was recently offered a position with a local bus company (much closer to home for me) so after some deliberation decided to take it and handed my notice in last week. I'm now halfway through my notice period (2 weeks).
THis week I have been programmed for another week of cleaning/disinfecting (surprise surprise). I have already once raised concerns with my line manager over the way the work is being shared out. Also now given the rise in the virus, the fact the coaches are often going to places with a high incidence of cases, and that I have vulnerable people in my family, would it be unreasonable of me to walk now citing the above reasons? If I did this are they allowed to withold any wages already due (I'm not owed any holiday so can't use any more). I'm not salaried, only get paid for hours worked, so technically wouldn't owe them anything, however could they put the days I miss down as holiday then dedct that from my final wage?
Thanks in advance

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Walk now if you can afford it, the weathers nice next week.

I’ve been in your position and nice weather approaching. I penned a new notice, outlining my unhappiness and the ability to do the job effectively and left immediately after the shift ended.

Go play golf for two weeks.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
You never know when you might come across people (or someone they know) in the future.
I wouldn't do anything hasty, or say something rude, but I might find myself with a dry cough

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge no employer can withhold any wages, pay or monies that are due. I do agree that a persistent cough might be coming on though

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Agree it is always good to leave employers on a good terms if possible.
I would also say that, on my reading of the situation, you are safer doing the cleaning job.
Stick it out for two weeks and leave with a good reference and a couple of weeks pay in your pocket.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd just go given what you've described. They've got to give you any monies owed. Not worth the stress of staying there imo.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree it is always good to leave employers on a good terms if possible.
I would also say that, on my reading of the situation, you are safer doing the cleaning job.
Stick it out for two weeks and leave with a good reference and a couple of weeks pay in your pocket.

There's no guarantee that he will get a good reference anyway.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thought references were old school... Can't believe there's many that will ask for them or write them for a departing employee... And, its against the law for an employer to with hold a wage without consent of the employee other than for taxes...

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Need a bit of advice please guys.
I work for a local coach company as a driver. A few weeks ago we started a deep cleaning regime in the nights to clean and disinfect coaches that have been out that day. I was given this duty for virtually a month, whilst other drivers were only getting two or 3 nights tops.
I was recently offered a position with a local bus company (much closer to home for me) so after some deliberation decided to take it and handed my notice in last week. I'm now halfway through my notice period (2 weeks).
THis week I have been programmed for another week of cleaning/disinfecting (surprise surprise). I have already once raised concerns with my line manager over the way the work is being shared out. Also now given the rise in the virus, the fact the coaches are often going to places with a high incidence of cases, and that I have vulnerable people in my family, would it be unreasonable of me to walk now citing the above reasons? If I did this are they allowed to withold any wages already due (I'm not owed any holiday so can't use any more). I'm not salaried, only get paid for hours worked, so technically wouldn't owe them anything, however could they put the days I miss down as holiday then dedct that from my final wage?
Thanks in advance

Hi Saint,

Clearly if you don't work any more shifts, you should still be paid for what you have done and - as others have hinted - it might make sense to call in sick rather than tell them you just don't want to work.

The problem is that if they did withold payment, it would be very difficult for you to recover this. You could take them to employment tribunal which would likely be time consuming for you. If successful, you would only get the money back that you are owed plus costs i.e. you wouldn't get any damages or displacement. Even if you were to successfully argue constructive dismissal.

Problem is that you may need to pay someone to help with your employment tribunal. Not necessarily a solicitor, but it would probably be difficult to know where to start without some professional guidance. And ultimately this initial outlay may be greater than the money you are owed. Not an issue if you win, but if you weren't successful then puts you further in a hole.

Sadly this is the kind of thing that unscrupulous employers are aware of and often treat workers poorly knowing that almost none of them will have the resource or where with all to take anything further.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Do not call in sick
Do the shifts you committed to in your notice

Calling in sick when you're not is basically misconduct, I can't beleive how many are suggesting this

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Do not call in sick
Do the shifts you committed to in your notice

Calling in sick when you're not is basically misconduct, I can't beleive how many are suggesting this
If they can prove youre not ill, how are they going to do that?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
If they can prove youre not ill, how are they going to do that?

Very true (its almost the perfect crime) Doesn't make it right though.

So is the way some companies treat staff.
I'd be playing golf if it were me.

Also true (yet the forum is full of people buying stuff every day from retailers with questionable staff treatment, so generally we seem pretty ok with how companies treat their staff)
Its just a bug bear for me, "two wrongs" and all that...

I know it doesn't apply to the OP but pulling a sickie (especially) during a notice period will never be right. If someone doesn't want to work their notice then just leave and forfeit the pay. Pulling a sickie at any time is something we should all have grown out of a long time ago and a practice best left to the spotted youth

Last edited:

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Funny how it is always unscrupulous companies and never unscrupulous staff.
I have always found the businesses that i have worked for have been very fair.
Some of that staff that have worked for them ..not so.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Very true (its almost the perfect crime) Doesn't make it right though.

Also true (yet the forum is full of people buying stuff every day from retailers with questionable staff treatment, so generally we seem pretty ok with how companies treat their staff)
Its just a bug bear for me, "two wrongs" and all that...

I know it doesn't apply to the OP but pulling a sickie (especially) during a notice period will never be right. If someone doesn't want to work their notice then just leave and forfeit the pay. Pulling a sickie at any time is something we should all have grown out of a long time ago and a practice best left to the spotted youth
Thats all well and good if the Employeer is also also acting responsible. This one seems to be acting unreasonable.