Zero hours contracts.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's not a new phenomenon, I've known people over the years in that situation. Equally I know people nowadays earning in excess of a £100k a year for working less hours than I used to . My mortgage probably averaged 11% during its lifetime and, like Golfmmad my wife didn't work until my son started school as a choice we made
Just because it’s not new doesn’t make it right tho.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
We are lucky . Both grandmothers can cover childcare 3 days a week between them if I need, my mum is phased retirement and her mum dropped one day once they cleared their mortgage

Mrs went back part time so has the other 2 days off. Weekends she’s always off

I just fill in when needed.

However couldn’t afford that if I wasn’t in a job with a regular fixed income that covers all the bills. I couldn’t imagine not knowing what was coming in would scare me

When I look back I never worried about too much after going full time self employed - and commission only! It was before then with a salaried position and a second job when I found it a real struggle to pay the mortgage - even going 3 months behind at one point. It was only after taking the 2nd job that I was able to pay off the arrears. Best thing I did going full time self employed and earned some good money in the better times.

I have to say that it's nice to no longer have a mortgage to find - but there are still plenty of other bills to pay.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You ever run a business?
I have, I've run a very successful and profitable business where everyone had contracted hours of employment.
As I said Zhcs do suit some people and some types of business need them but there are far too many that use them to exploit people and often the most vulnerable. People need investing in and motivating to give their best. If anyone believes that many employers don't use these contracts ruthlessly in a selfish manner then they are IMO very naive.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
For some companies like sports direct it is massively wrong coupled with the fact they were paying brderline minimum wages. It showed the worst of whats wrong with ZHC.
Then at the other end i can understand it is fantastic for students etc.
Coupled with the fact that for a couple of generations this government and many other companies have cut down on the ( cost of ) training and been more than happy to import skills ( and i use that term very loosely). It is something that i hope this government and companies seriously look at.

MegaSteve

Tour Winner
Visit site
Coupled with the fact that for a couple of generations this government and many other companies have cut down on the ( cost of ) training and been more than happy to import skills ( and i use that term very loosely). It is something that i hope this government and companies seriously look at.

Yep, our membership of the EU has allowed [encouraged] business and government to get 'lazy' with provision/funding of training/education...

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For some companies like sports direct it is massively wrong coupled with the fact they were paying brderline minimum wages. It showed the worst of whats wrong with ZHC.
Then at the other end i can understand it is fantastic for students etc.
what's wrong with a student having a contract for say 10 to 20 hours a week for a three months period. Zero hours contracts represent lazy and manipulative employers.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
what's wrong with a student having a contract for say 10 to 20 hours a week for a three months period. Zero hours contracts represent lazy and manipulative employers.

Maybe said student dont want a contract👍 Maybe he wants the flexibility of “i can do 40-60 hours this week but not next week”.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Maybe said student dont want a contract👍 Maybe he wants the flexibility of “i can do 40-60 hours this week but not next week”.
That would be Ok if the employee opts into zero hours or is working a probation period. Zero hours shouldn't be forced on employees after this.