Emma Raducanu

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Of course I need to call that out, and I explained in detail. Otherwise, it appears people like yourself completely ignore the context of how something is said. It should be obvious that when a person is critical of a sports person, they are not comparing that sport person to themselves or some random bloke they know from the pub. You don't get context (at least if it doesn't suit you), and so you use the tiring " they've reached a standard most if not all on here will never truly comprehend and yet the same people feel qualified to absolutely trash them"

By your own argument, you must never ever be critical of any sport person again, as they are at a level I guess you will never ever comprehend. So, you should never feel qualified to trash any sports person. As I said, look at comments on Harry Maguire, Rashford, Phil Jones, TAA. We could talk about other sports as well. Audley Harrison was a laughing stock, and even Joshua is getting that way to some. However, I bet 99.9999% of those being critical would not want to fight them.

You may not like the way the poster phrased their criticism, and that is fair enough. I'm not going to go back and look through every single one of your posts to determine if you have ever been so harsh in your words on anyone. Maybe you have, maybe you haven't. But, there are plenty of people who do use such crude terminology to describe something that could be put a lot more delicately, but mean the same thing.

Unless you genuinely believe that theoneandonly thinks they are better at tennis than her. If so, ask the question and if they confirm that to be the case, then you can have that debate with them.
Going on what I've seen since her big win that may well actually be the case ?????

D

Deleted member 15344

A semi final is just that.... Do you get a prize for it? If she does well I'm happy to acknowledge that.
Since her US open win she has done the sum of not much at all, no getting away from that. I'm sure she'll eek out a good living from tennis and then QoS, but all this crap about she's only 19 etc is laughable

Again you aren’t being critical though - you offer no critique at all , you don’t mention what the issues are , you just look at the result and then call her ?

It’s almost as if you are waiting for her to not win so that you can post about it

At the end of the day she won one of the biggest tournaments in Tennis - that can never be taken away from her , she may not win another but that doesn’t make her ?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Of course I need to call that out, and I explained in detail. Otherwise, it appears people like yourself completely ignore the context of how something is said. It should be obvious that when a person is critical of a sports person, they are not comparing that sport person to themselves or some random bloke they know from the pub. You don't get context (at least if it doesn't suit you), and so you use the tiring " they've reached a standard most if not all on here will never truly comprehend and yet the same people feel qualified to absolutely trash them"

By your own argument, you must never ever be critical of any sport person again, as they are at a level I guess you will never ever comprehend. So, you should never feel qualified to trash any sports person. As I said, look at comments on Harry Maguire, Rashford, Phil Jones, TAA. We could talk about other sports as well. Audley Harrison was a laughing stock, and even Joshua is getting that way to some. However, I bet 99.9999% of those being critical would not want to fight them.

You may not like the way the poster phrased their criticism, and that is fair enough. I'm not going to go back and look through every single one of your posts to determine if you have ever been so harsh in your words on anyone. Maybe you have, maybe you haven't. But, there are plenty of people who do use such crude terminology to describe something that could be put a lot more delicately, but mean the same thing.

Unless you genuinely believe that theoneandonly thinks they are better at tennis than her. If so, ask the question and if they confirm that to be the case, then you can have that debate with them.

If this relates to something theoneandonly said then I won’t have seen it, nor will I be seeing it.

My point was to answer the boldest section in your response, nothing to do with anyone else.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Again you aren’t being critical though - you offer no critique at all , you don’t mention what the issues are , you just look at the result and then call her ?

It’s almost as if you are waiting for her to not win so that you can post about it

At the end of the day she won one of the biggest tournaments in Tennis - that can never be taken away from her , she may not win another but that doesn’t make her ?
Go back through the thread and count how many times I have done that Vs how many crap results she's had.
Then realise as ever you're taking total rubbish.

Swango1980

Visit site
If this relates to something theoneandonly said then I won’t have seen it, nor will I be seeing it.

My point was to answer the boldest section in your response, nothing to do with anyone else.
Well then, not sure what you are getting at. As I've said, since the US Open win, she has played well well below most, if not everybody's expectations. Most likely even her own. There are probably millions of ways of expressing that, rubbish is one. If I played really well at golf, and then put in a very lengthy spell of putting in terrible performances, nowhere near my handicap, I would call my own performances rubbish or :poop: . Of course I would, I'd be highly self critical. I think most would agree as well, based on how I and they think I should play. I know many golfers that describe their own performances when they go through bad patches in exactly the same way.

So, if we can use this sort of terminology for ourselves, why not for anyone. Because we are always using these terms to describe performances relative to what are expectations should be. After all, if I shoot scores in golf in the 90's, I'm happy to say I am playing :poop: . It makes no difference that there may be many golfers that would be happy to have a score in the 90's, and certainly plenty of non-golfers that would struggle to hit a ball at all.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Always the same when it comes to British sports stars - finding a way to build them up and then when they find success shoot them down

She is 19 ?!! She has won one of the biggest tournaments in her sport , something that no British lady has done and instead of celebrating her people want to shoot her down

Pathetic but standard for someb

Whilst I agree with your point in general., I do have some exceptions in this instance.

By her own performance, she has built herself up by way of the excellent US Open win. That, in itself, brings about a certain amount of hype and, quite correctly, expectation. To then follow that with what most will see is a stream of disappointing performances results in negative press and it would not seem unreasonable to question things based on being top of the world and then struggling ever since. If I recall she had shown form and promise before the US Open and the form has dropped considerably since. These things bring about questions from a sporting audience.

I think age, when it comes to tennis, is a red herring as success is very normal amongst the very young

I Agree that you cannot take away the win nor that the she has the potential to be tallented but it is perfectly normal to discuss overall attitude and application when someone reaches the top and receives all of the plaudits and the trimmings of fame and fortune that come with it and then their form later drops off a cliff.

Swango1980

Visit site

Are you as kind if Man Utd get a bad result, or Harry Maguire has a bad game? Do you go into detail every time to analyse where it went wrong, but for balance discuss what they did well, and what they have achieved in the past? Do you stay away from criticising Southgate as England manager simply based on past results he has achieved as manager?

Or, are you happy to be as critical as you wish to be when it suits. Yet, if others are critical of someone, and you don't agree, suddenly they are simply wrong to do so because they do not provide a full, in depth and balanced analysis every time they wish to do so?

D

Deleted member 15344

Curtis won other tournaments did he not?

Won another 3 times on tour including Texas Open , couple of runners up in other majors and won around £15mil - plus Ryder Cup and President Cup

sunshine

Visit site
She is 19 ?!! She has won one of the biggest tournaments in her sport , something that no British lady has done and instead of celebrating her people want to shoot her down

19! Plenty of athletes peak as teenagers, look at Wayne Rooney. But more so in women’s sports like tennis, which is full of precocious talent.

If the US Open ends up as her peak, it’s still a fantastic achievement.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
There is probably something very wrong with me, but every time I hear her name, in my minds eye Vic Reeves turns to camera and in close up says
RA DU CAR NOOO

I’m seeking help ?