Emma Raducanu

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A great opportunity to be sponsored by Band Aid?. I’m sure that she’ll come good again given time.

Last edited:

4LEX

Visit site
She got the slam in the bag and was bound to tail off with all the exposure that came with it. Imagine yourself at 18 or 19 and achieving a career dream right away, it's going to take her a few years to bounce back. Some decisions with coaches have been a bit strange but she's got time on her side.

Swango1980

Visit site
She got the slam in the bag and was bound to tail off with all the exposure that came with it. Imagine yourself at 18 or 19 and achieving a career dream right away, it's going to take her a few years to bounce back. Some decisions with coaches have been a bit strange but she's got time on her side.
Never seemed to bother Martina Hingis. Had she won 7 grand slams before she was 19?

I think age is sometimes to much of an easy excuse. Sometimes it can be harder to do well once you get older to be honest. Carrying more injuries, more negative mentality after being scarred by past experiences, etc. Obviously, way to premature to write her career off. However, also way to premature to just assume she will come good again. No guarantees either way.

4LEX

Visit site
Never seemed to bother Martina Hingis. Had she won 7 grand slams before she was 19?

I think age is sometimes to much of an easy excuse. Sometimes it can be harder to do well once you get older to be honest. Carrying more injuries, more negative mentality after being scarred by past experiences, etc. Obviously, way to premature to write her career off. However, also way to premature to just assume she will come good again. No guarantees either way.

Fair comment, although Hingis was a GOAT level player and her rise happened when there was a vacuum in women's tennis. If Andy Murray had peaked in the early to mid 90's he'd have a dozen slams.

I'm a huge tennis fan and generally don't expect much from British players. The likes of Watson, Robson and Konta have all under achieved with mentality issues being the key thing. Sure injuries have played a part too.

Emma is different in the sense she has suffered a major meltdown and managed to bounce back within a few months. Her win at Flushing Meadows last year was the greatest achievement in British tennis, IMO. Check her odds before the start of that tournament and to go all the way through without dropping a set is mind boggling.

The exposure and pressure that came with it is bound to have an impact. She'll be back.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm sure he'd also admit he is rubbish at tennis.

If you are going to use that line, none of us can ever criticise another sportsperson ever again. Harry Maguire will be glad to hear that.
But why criticise her at all. She‘s a young woman who rocketed out of the pack and won a tennis grand slam event…what’s not to like.

Swango1980

Visit site
But why criticise her at all. She‘s a young woman who rocketed out of the pack and won a tennis grand slam event…what’s not to like.
That is why sport is so popular. The public invest in it, and have opinions. Do you expect they should never express a negative opinion?

Or, is there an age limit? If so, what age does Emma have to be before people comment she isn't very good relative to her peers? Is it just tennis? I'm pretty sure footballers have been criticised at a young age.

No one is saying she was rubbish when she won the US Open. She was fantastic in that. However, since then, it is pretty clear to say her form has been nowhere near that. We are not talking about a brief spell of a tournament or 2, we are talking a considerable period of time.

If she starts doing well again, I am sure everyone will happily say she has her mojo back. But it is naive to think she is still a great tennis player (relative to her peers) based on her performances