Emma Raducanu

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Can I just add that I am not criticising her at all.... just wondering if she is going to be another "one hit wonder".

:oops::oops::oops:
What if she is..?
Plenty of one hit wonders in every sport and even more No hit wonders....
If she never wins again she's still accomplished more than the majority of professional tennis players let alone members of the public.
I know you're not criticising her but the quality of other people's posts does make you wonder if they realise it says more about them that it does their "prey"...

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I'm sure he'd also admit he is rubbish at tennis.

If you are going to use that line, none of us can ever criticise another sportsperson ever again. Harry Maguire will be glad to hear that.

She’s not ? though is she? Just like Maguire isn’t.

Criticise an aspect of their performance by all means. But to bluntly say they are ? is laughable.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the problem most people have is that, after her US Open win, she isn't even making an impact in tournaments now. The amount of times she has lost in the first round, and lost badly, is staggering. People are expecting, probably quite rightly, that as a Grand Slam winner she should be progressing further in tournaments than she is at the moment.

Swango1980

Visit site
She’s not ? though is she? Just like Maguire isn’t.

Criticise an aspect of their performance by all means. But to bluntly say they are ? is laughable.
That was just an expression of highlighting she has been very poor relative to her peers, and her own performance at the US Open. Yes, there are many ways of expressing this, and this poster used a more vulgar, direct method of doing so. Some might use the word rubbish, others use very poor, etc.

There was a truth to that post, but if the poster wished to get a job as a tennis pundit on BBC then they'd need to find better ways of expressing their views.

Of course neither her or Maguire are rubbish in comparison to the average human being. They are not rubbish in comparison to the average amateur in their sport. But, as we all know, when viewers make these views, it is in comparison to other players who play at the same level. I am happy to say, for example, TAA is a poor defender. However, I am also fully aware he is infinitely better at defending than me.

Swango1980

Visit site
Justin Rose finished 4th in The Open a few days before his 18th birthday.
It took him 14 years to be placed that high in a major again.

I think I'll merely watch and wait with regard to Emma Raducanu and reserve judgement for 15 years.
Meanwhile, I wish her well.
And I am sure most of us are delighted he became the player he became.

However, I've also no doubt people called him rubbish when he was missing all those cuts when he turned professional. And, they were right, he was rubbish at that time. And people were rightly disappointed at that time, as he burst on the scene and provided so much hope.

I'm not sure why people seek to take offense when people say things as they are. I mean, I expect everyone here thinks Emma's performances since her US Open have not been good. In fact, immediately after her US Open win, if everyone was asked to predict her performances over the next year or 2, they would have predicted much better results in general. So, surely no one can deny she has been anything but poor in comparison to what one would predict?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

However, I've also no doubt people called him rubbish when he was missing all those cuts when he turned professional. And, they were right, he was rubbish at that time. And people were rightly disappointed at that time, as he burst on the scene and provided so much hope.

I'm not sure why people seek to take offense when people say things as they are. I mean, I expect everyone here thinks Emma's performances since her US Open have not been good. In fact, immediately after her US Open win, if everyone was asked to predict her performances over the next year or 2, they would have predicted much better results in general. So, surely no one can deny she has been anything but poor in comparison to what one would predict?
Agree with you. Call a spade a spade. We obviously hope she can become a top player but she looks a million miles off it now. US Open looking very much like a flash in the pan. As I said earlier, post-Williams sisters women's tennis at the moment looks like anyone can have a good week and snatch a tournament win, which is what she did.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site

Probably because it isn't as it is? Relatively they have played poorly to the standard that they have shown themselves capable of, but to call them rubbish or :poop: is utterly ridiculous; they've reached a standard most if not all on here will never truly comprehend and yet the same people feel qualified to absolutely trash them. And please don't trot the old "It's only a figure of speech" excuse out; the way some of the comments are made is utterly disrespectful, in the same manner that some people on here who'd :poop: themselves over a putt to win a monthly medal call Rory McIlroy a bottler.

Edit; too late, you've already trotted out the "It's only a figure of speech" excuse :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 15344

Always the same when it comes to British sports stars - finding a way to build them up and then when they find success shoot them down

She is 19 ?!! She has won one of the biggest tournaments in her sport , something that no British lady has done and instead of celebrating her people want to shoot her down

Pathetic but standard for someb

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Always the same when it comes to British sports stars - finding a way to build them up and then when they find success shoot them down

She is 19 ?!! She has won one of the biggest tournaments in her sport , something that no British lady has done and instead of celebrating her people want to shoot her down

Pathetic but standard for someb
You'll have to explain why you find it ok to criticize elite footballers but not tennis players.
You on post some absolute bullcrap in football thread largely based on your allegiance to Liverpool but dare say it how it is with radecanu and we're nasty meanies.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You'll have to explain why you find it ok to criticize elite footballers but not tennis players.
You on post some absolute bullcrap in football thread largely based on your allegiance to Liverpool but dare say it how it is with radecanu and we're nasty meanies.
Yeah, football is always fair game for some reason. We can all say Emerson Royal is crap for Spurs and nobody bats an eyelid.

D

Deleted member 15344

Didn’t think you would be so narrow minded paddy

But you aren’t being just “critical”

any time she loses early you just call her ?

You said sweet FA the other week when she reached a semi final and no doubt when she does well again you will be mute , but when she loses early you will once again post that she is ?- there will be zero analysis of her game and why she lost etc

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah, football is always fair game for some reason. We can all say Emerson Royal is crap for Spurs and nobody bats an eyelid.
One difference is that footballers get full pay whether the are playing or not (and when playing whether or not they look like they can be bothered) or whether they play rubbish or brilliant. They pocket the dosh whatever.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
Didn’t think you would be so narrow minded paddy

But you aren’t being just “critical”

any time she loses early you just call her ?

You said sweet FA the other week when she reached a semi final and no doubt when she does well again you will be mute , but when she loses early you will once again post that she is ?- there will be zero analysis of her game and why she lost etc

A semi final is just that.... Do you get a prize for it? If she does well I'm happy to acknowledge that.
Since her US open win she has done the sum of not much at all, no getting away from that. I'm sure she'll eek out a good living from tennis and then QoS, but all this crap about she's only 19 etc is laughable

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
One difference is that footballers get full pay whether the are playing or not (and when playing whether or not they look like they can be bothered) or whether they play rubbish or brilliant. They pocket the dosh whatever.
That's not relevant to what people were saying above though? About how we can't criticise people who are clearly much better than us.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
A semi final is just that.... Do you get a prize for it? If she does well I'm happy to acknowledge that.
Since her US open win she has done the sum of not much at all, no getting away from that. I'm sure she'll eek out a good living from tennis and then QoS, but all this crap about she's only 19 etc is laughable

Yes...you get points which help improve your World Ranking which then go to improving your seeding for Tournaments, which means you might end up with an easier draw and not come up against the top seeds early on. This helps you progress to the latter rounds, thereby picking up more ranking points etc etc etc.

Swango1980

Visit site
Probably because it isn't as it is? Relatively they have played poorly to the standard that they have shown themselves capable of, but to call them rubbish or :poop: is utterly ridiculous; they've reached a standard most if not all on here will never truly comprehend and yet the same people feel qualified to absolutely trash them. And please don't trot the old "It's only a figure of speech" excuse out; the way some of the comments are made is utterly disrespectful, in the same manner that some people on here who'd :poop: themselves over a putt to win a monthly medal call Rory McIlroy a bottler.

Edit; too late, you've already trotted out the "It's only a figure of speech" excuse :rolleyes:
Of course I need to call that out, and I explained in detail. Otherwise, it appears people like yourself completely ignore the context of how something is said. It should be obvious that when a person is critical of a sports person, they are not comparing that sport person to themselves or some random bloke they know from the pub. You don't get context (at least if it doesn't suit you), and so you use the tiring " they've reached a standard most if not all on here will never truly comprehend and yet the same people feel qualified to absolutely trash them"

By your own argument, you must never ever be critical of any sport person again, as they are at a level I guess you will never ever comprehend. So, you should never feel qualified to trash any sports person. As I said, look at comments on Harry Maguire, Rashford, Phil Jones, TAA. We could talk about other sports as well. Audley Harrison was a laughing stock, and even Joshua is getting that way to some. However, I bet 99.9999% of those being critical would not want to fight them.

You may not like the way the poster phrased their criticism, and that is fair enough. I'm not going to go back and look through every single one of your posts to determine if you have ever been so harsh in your words on anyone. Maybe you have, maybe you haven't. But, there are plenty of people who do use such crude terminology to describe something that could be put a lot more delicately, but mean the same thing.

Unless you genuinely believe that theoneandonly thinks they are better at tennis than her. If so, ask the question and if they confirm that to be the case, then you can have that debate with them.