Effective Way To Warm Up With No Driving Range??

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My course has no range or even practise nets so I struggle to warm-up effectively - our first is a tricky par 3 surrounded by bunkers so requires a good tee shot (usually around 7 iron length), but without a decent warm-up I often fluff it. My last three scores on this hole have been 6, 7 & 6, so I'm putting my round at a disadvantage straight away.

My usual warm-up routine is to do some stretching, rotating my back and shoulders, stretching arms etc, swing a club several times, and that's about all I can really do, but this doesn't seem to be doing the job like actually hitting ten balls on a range would do. Some of you must play at courses with no range or practise facility, what do you guys do to make sure you're sharp on the first tee?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dynamic warmup exercises rather than static stretches

If there's not even a net then lots of practice swings

Is there a range on route or is there literally no where to hit shots before playing?

D

Deleted member 23270

Have you tried the old favourite of swinging 2 clubs together as that helps loosen up the muscles a bit better?
I assume there is no convenient driving range on your way to the course?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Exactly the same at my club.

We used to have nets before I joined but they became tatty and had holes in them, someone hit a ball and it ended up in the carpark. Instead of repairing them, they decided to remove them all together..

I am dreadful at warming up and I normally just stand up and hit the ball but a PP of mine has some exercise bands which you can get on Amazon or the like. He uses them to stretch and wraps them around his tow bar of his car to warm up. He loves them and finds them really useful at warming the muscles up as it adds some tension to them. Using the tow bar he can simulate the take away with some tension to target those muscles.

On the first tee, I just concentrate on getting my strike right. Take it slow and easy and make sure i make good contact. Other than a few practice swings, there is nothing else I do.

Would absolutely love a net or a range as I love the feel of hitting the ball before I start. But i tee off at 9 every Saturday and the closest range doesn't open until 10.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, there's no nearby driving range, not without going miles out of the way.

I've have a look at some 'dynamic' warm-ups online. Not heard of swinging two clubs instead of one - is that just because of the extra weight that it loosens you up better?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Exactly the same at my club.

We used to have nets before I joined but they became tatty and had holes in them, someone hit a ball and it ended up in the carpark. Instead of repairing them, they decided to remove them all together..

I am dreadful at warming up and I normally just stand up and hit the ball but a PP of mine has some exercise bands which you can get on Amazon or the like. He uses them to stretch and wraps them around his tow bar of his car to warm up. He loves them and finds them really useful at warming the muscles up as it adds some tension to them. Using the tow bar he can simulate the take away with some tension to target those muscles.

On the first tee, I just concentrate on getting my strike right. Take it slow and easy and make sure i make good contact. Other than a few practice swings, there is nothing else I do.

Would absolutely love a net or a range as I love the feel of hitting the ball before I start. But i tee off at 9 every Saturday and the closest range doesn't open until 10.
Similar at mine, there were some practise nets a while back but they extended the car park into the area where they were, so the nets are gone now. I try and do the same on the first and get a nice strike, but it's difficult when I feel stiff as a board on a Saturday morning.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yeah resistance bands are very good
Personally I also like foam rolling to loosen and warmup tight muscles (calves, glutes, back)

Dynamic warmup, things like squats, lunges, lots of rotational exercises - should be lots on the TPI website

Swinging 2 clubs together is good due to the extra weight

It's not ideal without anywhere to hit balls but it's better than hitting the first tee cold

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
tee it up higher so you don't catch the ground and duff it.

you know yourself 6 7 6 is criminal to start oñ a par 3 of that length. why not nudge it down short of the bunkers and try to pitch and putt.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
tee it up higher so you don't catch the ground and duff it.

you know yourself 6 7 6 is criminal to start oñ a par 3 of that length. why not nudge it down short of the bunkers and try to pitch and putt.
I didn't really think of teeing it up higher. Might try that this weekend. I usually prefer to tee it quite low for irons but for the first shot that might be worth trying.

'Laying up' isn't really an option, before the bunkers there is a ditch, and before that quite long rough. It's also a two tier green so if you chip your second up there but still on the bottom tier that's a tough two putt to even make a 4.

There's a couple of pictures of it here actually: http://www.hastehillgolfclub.co.uk/the-course/hole-by-hole/ Although it doesn't look as nice as that at the moment! The grass before the ditch looks almost harmless there, but when it's damp it can be nasty.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've started to tee my ball up more, and possibly club up too. Nice and easy on the first swing!

we have a similar hole, 150/165 depending on tees with bunkers around it. I normally take an extra club and tee it up a little.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I didn't really think of teeing it up higher. Might try that this weekend. I usually prefer to tee it quite low for irons but for the first shot that might be worth trying.

'Laying up' isn't really an option, before the bunkers there is a ditch, and before that quite long rough. It's also a two tier green so if you chip your second up there but still on the bottom tier that's a tough two putt to even make a 4.

There's a couple of pictures of it here actually: http://www.hastehillgolfclub.co.uk/the-course/hole-by-hole/ Although it doesn't look as nice as that at the moment! The grass before the ditch looks almost harmless there, but when it's damp it can be nasty.

A very pretty little hole.

Personally I would club for the back of the green, and a lay up over the back works fine if it happens! Second I would be seen practicing from off the back of the green to the various pin positions in the evenings (when the first hole isn't exactly busy) until I was confident in could chip to within 3ft of any pin position from the various positions behind the green.

With a smooth 3/4 swing the hole now becomes part of my warm up and I accept a par 3 and move on 🤣

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Don't mean this to come across flippant but as your 'cold' have you thought of just taking an extra club and swinging easier

Edit: Oops, Duncan's way of explaining it is far better ;)

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I would try and have a good stretch and warm up at home before you go and play. Maybe try a bit of yoga.
Then when you arrive at the course you will have done most of the hard work, a few rotations and and a few practice swings should get you prepared.
If you try a few visualising techniques and develop a solid pre shot routine it will get you into the 'zone' to hit the first tee shot.
If you are doubting that first shot because you feel you aren't ready then the chances are you wont hit a good shot.
Its more important to get your mind focused and in the right place than it is hitting a few balls on a range.

D

Deleted member 23270

If your other half is awake before you get up, would a quickie count as a warm up? :whistle:

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Is there a pattern to your bad shots on the first?

Is it as much psychological as physical - can you visualise a good shot before you hit? If you can only see disaster then that's what'll happen - no amount of physical warmup will help

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't mean this to come across flippant but as your 'cold' have you thought of just taking an extra club and swinging easier

Edit: Oops, Duncan's way of explaining it is far better ;)

Sadly that extra club is a 6 iron which for me is only going to make it harder.

I would try and have a good stretch and warm up at home before you go and play. Maybe try a bit of yoga.
Then when you arrive at the course you will have done most of the hard work, a few rotations and and a few practice swings should get you prepared.

Good thoughts, cheers. If I can get my backside out of bed early enough this weekend I'll try that to get the ball rolling.

If your other half is awake before you get up, would a quickie count as a warm up? :whistle:

I'm married now, that ship has sailed.

Is there a pattern to your bad shots on the first?

Is it as much psychological as physical - can you visualise a good shot before you hit? If you can only see disaster then that's what'll happen - no amount of physical warmup will help
Not sure there's a pattern, I just never seem to get a good connection, I might hit it really thin, or just well short as I feel really inflexible which seems to make my swing slower than normal. I have birdied this hole once ever, so I have that to call upon when visualising. It means I know I can play it well anyway. It still may be a case of mind over matter.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would love a short par 3 opening hole like that. Swing a 6 iron nice and easy to back of the green.

Count yourself lucky you don't have a par 4 with blind tight fairway and out of bounds all down the left!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I would love a short par 3 opening hole like that. Swing a 6 iron nice and easy to back of the green.

Count yourself lucky you don't have a par 4 with blind tight fairway and out of bounds all down the left!!
My driver is a lot more consistent than my longer irons so I would love a par 4 opener to be honest.

That said, our second (i.e. first par 4) is probably the hardest hole on the course: http://www.hastehillgolfclub.co.uk/s/cc_images/cache_47064074.jpg It is a tough start at our place.