East Renfrewshire or Whitecraigs

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I've always enjoyed both, that may be a bit of an "on the fence answer" but I think you need to make a few decisions yourself.

Firstly do you prefer parkland or moorland courses, both tracks are completely different.

I think I probably prefer the layout and location of East Renfrewshire better but Whitecraigs also has a few great holes. I also like the professional at East Renfrewshire, he's very friendly and welcoming. Not played Whitecraigs in a good number of years so can't comment on the pro their.

What is easier for you to get too?

What is better in your eyes. Also Robster is offering a free game, I'm sure he'll stretch to lunch also if you push him!

???

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've always enjoyed both, that may be a bit of an "on the fence answer" but I think you need to make a few decisions yourself.

Firstly do you prefer parkland or moorland courses, both tracks are completely different.

I think I probably prefer the layout and location of East Renfrewshire better but Whitecraigs also has a few great holes. I also like the professional at East Renfrewshire, he's very friendly and welcoming. Not played Whitecraigs in a good number of years so can't comment on the pro their.

What is better in your eyes. Also Robster is offering a free game, I'm sure he'll stretch to lunch also if you push him!

???
Well he can watch me eat mine!
The Pro at Whitecraigs is David Orr, ex Eastwood, still a member at East Ren and is also our course record holder. Really nice guy.

The Hound

Visit site

???
Thanks, you make some good points. I grew up playing Pitlochry, which is a hilly/ heathland course so East Ren really appeals. Whitecraigs is a touch closer but there's not much in it. My two kids play and there is a great wee nine holer at Whitecraigs which is perfect for them so that's the dilemma. But lunch might just swing it! ?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site

???
If i remember the car park at WC's is a nightmare to get in and out of, wasn't someone knock down in it just a couple of years ago ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
East Ren for me. They offer very different golfing experiences.

Back in the day Whitecraigs made me wait 7yrs before offering me membership - whilst East Ren gave me an Associate membership straight off waiting for full membership space to become available. And I am glad that that is what happened. Loved being a member of East Ren even though I had to get a bus up the Ayr road from home in Broom carrying my clubs - whilst Whitecraigs was a ten minute walk :)

That said I did enjoy playing Whitecraigs and given it's location compared with East Ren on-the-Moors - you'll probably get more golf out of Whitecraigs. Besides - Whitecraigs has the Big Jack experience that East Ren doesn't :) Many moons ago I stood on the pavement on the Ayr Rd by the clubhouse watching Jack Nicklaus do a demonstration session hitting balls up the practice ground.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm a member at East Ren as well and absolutely love the course.

I was fortunate enough to play Whitecraigs a couple of times last year. It's also a good course and has some stunning par 3s.

Main thing going for Whitecraigs over East Ren is the location and the par 3 course. Location means a bit more in the way of social activity (although I guess that's going to mean living near it). And obviously par 3 is good for getting a practice if there's other things on at the 1st tee.

For me, the golf at East Ren is fantastic. Every hole is individual, with arguably only the 2 longer par 3's letting down the layout (which is being hyper critical). I also, personally, enjoy being out on the moorland. The added dynamic of the weather provides an extra challenge and makes you a better golfer.

As Robster says the new course manager is making massive improvements and I'd imagine there is a fair chance the course will start to get ranked that bit higher and really be considered among the top inland courses in Scotland. Whether they are able to capture that and drive decent visitor income, only time will tell.

If you want to get down for a game before making a decision, then send me a PM and we can arrange something.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I was fortunate enough to play Whitecraigs a couple of times last year. It's also a good course and has some stunning par 3s.

Main thing going for Whitecraigs over East Ren is the location and the par 3 course. Location means a bit more in the way of social activity (although I guess that's going to mean living near it). And obviously par 3 is good for getting a practice if there's other things on at the 1st tee.

For me, the golf at East Ren is fantastic. Every hole is individual, with arguably only the 2 longer par 3's letting down the layout (which is being hyper critical). I also, personally, enjoy being out on the moorland. The added dynamic of the weather provides an extra challenge and makes you a better golfer.

As Robster says the new course manager is making massive improvements and I'd imagine there is a fair chance the course will start to get ranked that bit higher and really be considered among the top inland courses in Scotland. Whether they are able to capture that and drive decent visitor income, only time will tell.

If you want to get down for a game before making a decision, then send me a PM and we can arrange something.
Back in the day I recall ER being referred to as the 'Gleneagles' of the south. A great Baird course with stunning views of the hills.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Dear Mr. Hound .....Whilst I agree with my honourable friends about both of their course, can I suggest that if may well be worth your while having a look at my course which is Barrhead G.C.
I would be more than happy to show you(and the boys) around not only our clubhouse(complete with fully up-to-date Swing room/indoor practice facility-perfect for this weather and getting into shape for your return to the game)but also a tour round the course and an intro to our lovely pro. Craig Haugh.
The course is open year round(built on relatively quick drying turf,thanks to the rock underneath).Must say that the course and greens are in great condition thanks to the hard work and forward thinking of our committee.
Not only these plusses in our favour but we also have a really well run and growing Junior Section-with ample tution from Craig(I should know--the amount of times I hear "PAPA,watch this" usually when about to try and hit the dammed thing!
I had typed out a message to send to you earlier but no contact details were there,so if you fancy a look round/try on the Swing Monitor then drop me a line .
I may even spring for lunch?......can be contacted via either-haughcg@Hotmail.com /sec@ferenezegolfclub.com or dinkyjim@ntlworld.com,tel07761 098570
Hope to be of help......Jimbo

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Fereneze is good, however if you live in the Mearns you're simply not going to ignore Whitecraigs, Cathcart Castle, Wiliamwood or East Renfrewshire to travel to Barrhead, it just doesn't make sense.

You couldn't justify that unless you possibly worked in Barrhead.

Love going back to Fereneze, great views, friendly clubhouse and as you say usually great greens. Will look out for their open this year.

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Jacko_G sorryto burst your bubble but we've members from Anniesland/E.K./Cambuslang etc look at the map..it's not as if we're on a different planet.
If you enjoy the course and the facilities /people/atmosphere are there(plus the pricing being right)then 5 minutes extra in the car does'nt really matter.
Plus Mr. Hound should have a look-see at the various contenders and what else he may have to factor in like facilities and care for the juniors,the indoor swing centre-superb BTW-locker space and garage for trolley the amount of sweeps on the go to join in ,make friends,playing partners,easy parking and the general ambience of the place along with a free round and lunch(when suitable for him and the boys).
Jimbo:coffee::)

The Hound

Visit site

Hi Grant85, thanks for your reply, it is appreciated. I actually live within 5 minutes walk of Williamwood, but I wasn't that taken with the course. It's only a slightly longer drive to ER compared to Whitecraigs and tbh I was just blown away by the ER course. I'm tempted to join the boys at Whitecraigs (where I can play the 9-holer with them) and join myself at ER (where they'd become members for free until they are 17 anyway)
Then I'd have the best of both worlds!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Jacko_G sorryto burst your bubble but we've members from Anniesland/E.K./Cambuslang etc look at the map..it's not as if we're on a different planet.
If you enjoy the course and the facilities /people/atmosphere are there(plus the pricing being right)then 5 minutes extra in the car does'nt really matter.
Plus Mr. Hound should have a look-see at the various contenders and what else he may have to factor in like facilities and care for the juniors,the indoor swing centre-superb BTW-locker space and garage for trolley the amount of sweeps on the go to join in ,make friends,playing partners,easy parking and the general ambience of the place along with a free round and lunch(when suitable for him and the boys).
Jimbo:coffee::)

You're not bursting any bubble and I'm not questioning you having members from out with your catchment area. I am saying (in my opinion) why drive by 2 better courses and 2 courses of equal standing and add distance and time onto your day. Anyway I'll leave all those decisions to the OP.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Know both courses very well, it really comes down to what you want. East renfrewshire is the better layout but condition wise it's not on the same level as whitecraigs. Whitecraigs also has a very active junior section, has a better range facility and a 9 hole course perfect for juniors and also a more modern clubhouse. East ren is the better course as I say but its generally not as well kept as whitecraigs is, I would say whitecraigs is the better choice out the 2 when you consider everything but if it was the middle of summer I'd go and play east ren if I had the choice of the two

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Whitecraigs are also extending the clubhouse to incorporate a wing with 3 indoor simulators and also David the pro will have his own studio in this area aswell. The simulators will be available for members to use at very discounted prices. Probably worth knowing this if your looking into it but I'm sure the secretary or whoever you speak to will tell you all about what's happening