DVD Ripping

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought a DVD at the weekend and want to also put it onto my tablet. I've done this before, works okay. I use DVD Fab to rip the DVD and Freemake video convertor to put it into MP4 format. I then put this onto my tablet. I hasten to add, I only do this with films I have bought and it is for my own use. Really you should be able to download from a website as well as buying the DVD but that is another issue.

Anyway, with this current film the sound is just out, it is not synched. I have ripped it a couple of times, I have tried converting into different formats. Each time it is about 1-2 seconds out. One of the programs is out but I don't know which one.

Anyone have another method that they use for this?

U

User62651

Daft question possibly but why dont you just use the ultraviolet download code that comes with the dvd? If it doesn't have one it's likely an illegal copy which could be the reason for syncing issues.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is no download code and it is genuine. I bought it from the Sky Store so we have a copy on the Sky box and I paid the extra £3 or whatever it is for the DVD so that I could put it on my tablet. The DVD came from Sky.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
This brought back memories. It made computers a great tool back in the day....burning and ripping....is there still modern software that does this? ...go to be 10 years or more since I heard such terms.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its annoying you cant upload to tablet via the sky app like you can with most terrestrial recordings! Not ripped a DVD for years! In fact not had a DVD drive on my laptop for 5 years!

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last time I tried to do this it ripped the foreign copy and was carp so I gave up. Would love to know how to do this before the wifes copy of Fraiser becomes unuseable

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its annoying you cant upload to tablet via the sky app like you can with most terrestrial recordings! Not ripped a DVD for years! In fact not had a DVD drive on my laptop for 5 years!

Agree with this. You can if you have Sky Q or pay an extra £5 a month for Sky Go Extra but not on a normal package, even if you have bought the film through the Sky Store, annoying. I use my works computer, big old tower, as that is fast and has a DVD drive still. My laptop has a dvd drive but is old, slow and big. The next one will not have.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
Agree with this. You can if you have Sky Q or pay an extra £5 a month for Sky Go Extra but not on a normal package, even if you have bought the film through the Sky Store,

No you can't, i have sky Q and i cant download to ipad any films we buy from sky store. its really weird what you can and can't upload. certain channels dont let you also.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No you can't, i have sky Q and i cant download to ipad any films we buy from sky store. its really weird what you can and can't upload. certain channels dont let you also.

That's odd. I thought you could download them through the Sky Go app to watch offline if you had Sky Q.

If you record a programme on your Q box can you watch that offline? Is it just bought films that you can not transfer that way?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Just spit-balling but while its a genuine purchase is it a genuine DVD ? (identical to the ones that came out when the film first went to DVD)

What I mean is Sky are unlikely to be the official dvd distributor unless it was something they produced like Idiot Abroad, so maybe they are allowed to sell a hard copy for films they've bought broadcast rights to but can't sell actual original DVDs with all the modern features they have now like e-copies etc ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Are you suggesting Sky are producing and selling bootleg copies on a commercial scale? Maybe I am not understanding your point correctly.

I don't see why Sky would not be an official seller, they are probably the biggest buyer of films in the UK. Tying the buying of rights to show films and rights to sell films is a natural marriage.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Are you suggesting Sky are producing and selling bootleg copies on a commercial scale? Maybe I am not understanding your point correctly.

I don't see why Sky would not be an official seller, they are probably the biggest buyer of films in the UK. Tying the buying of rights to show films and rights to sell films is a natural marriage.

:eek:

Nah, not really. What I mean is just because Sky have paid to broadcast a film (& as part of that broadcast their customers are also able to record/save that broadcast electrically, which may or may not include that electronic copy on a dvd format)
That means sky customers have paid only to view a broadcast & a saved electronic copy (you have not paid to own a copy by subscribing to sky, which is what we do when we buy the 'official DVD')

Official DVD's typically cost more than £3 (unless its a bargain bucket film)

So it doesn't necessarily mean their purchase to broadcast and your purchase to view in your home includes the rights to retail the official DVD, so the authorised 'copy' they supply may include measures to prevent further copying & distribution, like a dodgy audio sync for example

I'm still just guessing here though

Some DVD have a limit on how many times it can be stored to other personal devices by the person who buys it, normally 2 or 3. Maybe ones from sky (or just that film) are set at zero