Dundonald Membership - Cheerio!

sunshine

Visit site
Personally I found quite the opposite - atmosphere in the CH has always been very relaxed and homely.

I've always had fun playing there - length isn't everything

Must be another course in the area. Luffness? I don't know

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Not a fan of Longniddry myself and although the Glen is very good in places (views are incredible) it has too many weaker holes to make the course stand out overall.
Luffness is a very good course but they live in the past and their policy of not allowing all members of the human race to join in this day and age is a disgrace.
I can understand your view of Longniddry. It seems a course that can't make its mind up what style it should be and doesn't quite do any of them quite as well as it should. Greens are always top notch though and site of my 1st Hole in One, so I have some affection for it.
Never played The Glen, but a (non-golfing) work colleague helped out at a Blind Golf outing there (of all places!) and commented on the views - and the irony!
I agree with your views re Lufness - initially formed by some 'rebels' from Kilspindie. Played it once and enjoyed it (sort of Gullane 2.75-ish) but as we were casually dressed, didn't experience much of the clubhouse! Still notable, for me, for my 400 yard drive (and I've always been a short hitter) on the last though! My equally well struck 3-wood on 16 didn't quite reach the green!
Kilspindie is very enjoyable and no pushover, in spite of being short. That 8th is 'interesting' indeed; I've used everything from a PW to a 3-Wood as the 'right' club for the distance/conditions! Clubhouse atmosphere is very welcoming.

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Luffness New as it is called is also a long socks course. You can only get in the lounge after about 9.30 with jacket, shirt and tie.

Very nice course though, not sure I would think of it as a big open field.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Luffness New as it is called is also a long socks course. You can only get in the lounge after about 9.30 with jacket, shirt and tie.

Very nice course though, not sure I would think of it as a big open field.

Now my memory may be a bit hazy however I remember it being a course split into "3 sections" intersected by roads. First 5 then you cross the road. Then another section of about 5-7 holes then a final section. All fairly wide open and uninspiring. Then again as I have admitted to previously I have a natural preference for links courses with towering Dunes and swales etc.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not wide open in terms of the holes, quite tight in places. Excellent bunkering too.
Cross the road once during a round, second time is after the 18th.